PDA

View Full Version : TG gets even stooopider...

girlsRfast2
05-29-04, 12:57 PM
linkage (http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Motorsports/IRL/2004/05/28/477304-ap.html)

George doesn't seem concerned. If anything, he appears to have accepted that the Indy 500 will never be the event it once was.

Those days are over. Get used to it.

"Things change, times change," the speedway owner said. "We don't have any regrets."
:eek:

OH. MY. GOD.
Sure, King ToeKnee, F the fans. You ruined everything, and people should just "get used to it". That's just freaking brilliant. :rolleyes:

fourrunner
05-29-04, 01:47 PM
It's just another Race to me ...

However in that article he just told every Indianapolis Fan, Business, Political, Entity, and the Travelers & Visitors Bureau To go F themselves ....

It's my track, BUT It ain't my problem!

racer2c
05-29-04, 01:58 PM
It's all a set up for the tin tops to take over. If it wasn't, he would be giving the appropriate lip service about this and that in improve the situation. But he's not.

devilmaster
05-29-04, 02:03 PM
said Loren Matthews, senior vice-president of programming for ABC Sports...."If this wasn't what it used to be, then it boggles my mind what it used to be."

The epithet for the whole sad situation.

Steve

fourrunner
05-29-04, 02:52 PM
Pretty Sad for sure devilmaster

Whats even scarier is that ABC is in the hands of Morons who have archives available to them that could tell them EXACTLY how it used to be...

There is an OBVIOUS Reason why these so called executives at Network TV only last a year or so.....

Who the hell hires these guys!!!

ABC we're number 4, and we'll be number 5 before you know it!!

There thinking that this rating is on a scale of 1 - 10 so 5 must be better than 4 ;)

pchall
05-29-04, 03:04 PM
The epithet for the whole sad situation.

Steve

Yes, especially since the quoted ABC guy apparently doesn't have the brains or the will to look up archived footage of Pole and Bump and Race Days to see for himself the shell of an event he is now producing for the networks. :shakehead:

Dang. I should read all the way down before posting. Fore! beat me to the point.

DjDrOmusic
05-29-04, 03:06 PM
Just got the translation back from the lab, what TG was saying in laymans terms, "I have checks from Honda and Toyota, I have a trust fund, and I get monthly residuals from the sale of baking powder....who needs fans?" :shakehead

Ankf00
05-29-04, 03:16 PM
what's a Indy? :confused:

EDwardo
05-29-04, 04:26 PM
TG is quickly approaching the point where it will be impossible to be any "stoopider". I'm with those who think that in the end, his vision is pretty basic. "Hey, that was fun. I still have so much money that I don't care. It wasn't about the racing. It wasn't about the fans. It was about the money."

Amanda B.'s Mom
05-29-04, 04:30 PM
I know a horse named Indy :) Does he count? Former race horse at that!

Chaos
05-29-04, 04:33 PM
the best quote in that article came from Derrick Walker:

"If an engine manufacturer sneezes, everyone catches a cold."

how true...

rabbit
05-29-04, 04:33 PM
33 is just a number.

Indy is just a race.

May is just a month.

Never thought I'd see the day... :(

oddlycalm
05-29-04, 04:42 PM
"It's obvious that we're not what we were in the '70s," said Tony George, president of Indianapolis Motor Speedway and founder of the Indy Racing League. "Why aren't we?"

Look in the mirror jagoff.

It's all a set up for the tin tops to take over. If it wasn't, he would be giving the appropriate lip service

Absolutely, just letting it play out at this point. Not a matter of if, just a matter of when.

oc

dando
05-29-04, 08:43 PM
"It's like the Kentucky Derby in horse racing," Matthews said. "You don't have to be a horse-racing fan to watch the Kentucky Derby. You don't have to be a motor-racing fan to watch the Indy 500. We've just got to get more of them to watch."

What a moron. Folks don't spend 4 hours watching the Derby. The race is over in just over 2 minutes. @ the most people will spend 30 minutes watching the race as well as pre- and post-race activities.

-Kevin

Madmaxfan2
05-29-04, 10:26 PM
TG in his mind, 'Yea, I screwed up, but I better not admit to it. The family will kick me out for sure. They will get used to it. Everone will get used to it. Whatever I do, I cannot acknowledge the mistake, or I am out of a job. Just like those two opportunities to merge with CART. They would kick me out for sure. They just don't understand my burden'

Spoken like a true insecure person. A strong leader admits his mistakes, corrects them, and learns. Let's pros take over when thier skills are not cutting it. The Indy 500 is going to die, because it was such a special event, it's previous greatness will kill it's wateredown future. TG is not willing to admit that. His words are phony resurrences. People do not want a watered down event. The Indy 500 deserves to die in diginity

Amanda B.'s Mom
05-29-04, 11:46 PM
The real Indy 500 is being run this weekend in the heavens above us. I really think a long time veteran of Indy will finally get his win there this year!

CART T. Katz
05-30-04, 12:54 AM
What a moron. Folks don't spend 4 hours watching the Derby. The race is over in just over 2 minutes. @ the most people will spend 30 minutes watching the race as well as pre- and post-race activities.

-Kevin

normal people don't go to the derby for the race. they go for the infield experience. and it's one hell of an "experience".

and whoever this matthew's guy is (didn't rtfa) is mistaken. in kentucky, people watch because it's the state's (well, it's louisville's in reality) day to show off to the world and it's tradition. anywhere else, it's just another race, unless there is some sort of story that will get the casual viewer to watch because the diehard horseracing fan will always watch. where is the story that will get people to watch the 7-eleven 497.5 this year? as far as i'm concerned, the race in my mind is just another crapwagon race, just 200 miles longer than normal.

cart7
05-30-04, 01:24 AM
While I'm over it, I still miss the race TG messed up.

Hink
05-30-04, 06:05 AM
You could buy this guy a clue over and over again but he'd always say, "I don't need one. I have Indy." (repeat)

Spicoli
05-30-04, 07:59 AM
What an asshat.

cart7
05-30-04, 08:39 AM
Article in yesterday's Stl. Post Dispatch brings up the decline in ratings at Indy and the talk of next year running either later in the afternoon or at night.

That would obviously be Sat. night as the earl going up against the 600 would be the equivalent of ratings hari kari.

Spicoli
05-30-04, 08:45 AM
Article in yesterday's Stl. Post Dispatch brings up the decline in ratings at Indy and the talk of next year running either later in the afternoon or at night.

That would obviously be Sat. night as the earl going up against the 600 would be the equivalent of ratings hari kari.

Monday night.

gjc2
05-30-04, 09:58 AM
This is truly an incredible situation. If the Indianapolis 500 becomes a NASCAR Nextel Cup race what happens to the Charlotte? Does the IMS keep its August Cup race? Will NASCAR ever allow a race other that the Daytona 500 to become their premier event? If the I500 Cup race does become NASCAR’s biggest event will TG try to start his own stock car series? Maybe a stock car series that gives deserving foreign drivers a chance to race it the Indianapolis 500.

What about the possibility that TG’s comments to the Indianapolis business community were to generate some interest by some Indy business people in buying the speedway and the IRL? The new owners could scrap the IRL and put the 500 on the Champ Car schedule. The Indianapolis 500 could be restored to its former glory and TG walks away with even more money. I sincerely doubt anyone (manufactures, teams, drivers or fans) would object to this happening.

George

Spicoli
05-30-04, 10:05 AM
NFW TG sells anything.

Insomniac
05-30-04, 11:22 AM
Is it possible for him to be any more stupid?

devilmaster
05-30-04, 11:30 AM
Is it possible for him to be any more stupid?

When he moves the date of the race, and the time.... then yes. yes he can be more stupid.

Steve

girlsRfast2
05-30-04, 06:31 PM
TG's comments smack of, "Just bend over and take it, too bad if you don't like the way I've screwed everything up." Well, no, TG, I won't. I don't have to. You will not get one single penny from me.

If I didn't live 12 hours away, I'd p**p on your lawn. :saywhat: :p

Spicoli
05-30-04, 06:35 PM
If I didn't live 12 hours away, I'd p**p on your lawn. :saywhat: :p

Got it covered. :gomer: