PDA

View Full Version : Indy in the eyes of others

Railbird
05-28-04, 08:00 AM
USA Today (http://www.usatoday.com/sports/columnist/hiestand/2004-05-28-hiestand_x.htm)

"How Indy went from white hot to ho-hum is one of the most unbelievable phenomenons in sport."

David Hill
Chairman
Fox Sports

Turn7
05-28-04, 08:11 AM
He knows exactly how it happened and is glad he jumped on the ship that "went right up the middle".

When an organization like NASCAR rightfully takes advantage of the split and weakening of the series, you either die and go away or someday, both have to have a coordinated plan of attack and do an end-around and meet the enemy back in the middle.

While I despise Tony George and the IRL, NASCAR is the one that has to be dealt with to have Champ Car regain any prominence in the US. Even if the IRL shut down and all the fans came to Champ Car, that would only add a .6 to the tv ratings and put 5-10k in the seats. That isn't going to cut it. OWRS has to draw from NASCAR's fans to gain any sort of market share.

RTKar
05-28-04, 08:11 AM
USA Today (http://www.usatoday.com/sports/columnist/hiestand/2004-05-28-hiestand_x.htm)

"How Indy went from white hot to ho-hum is one of the most unbelievable phenomenons in sport."

David Hill
Chairman
Fox Sports

"And Hill doesn't think the sport's overseers can redeem themselves: "They should just turn carburetors into plows and take up other jobs."

Let's see what happens after this season.... :confused:

Chaos
05-28-04, 08:39 AM
he just doesn't know what indy means

nrc
05-28-04, 08:48 AM
He's no doubt bitter because Tony turned down Fox's mult-jillion dollar rights offer to resign with their current broadcast partner for an extra half our of IPS coverage.

2DB
05-28-04, 01:15 PM
I know for a fact there is a USA Today vending machine in the entrance to the Brickyard Crossing motel. Has any of the top IRL people stopped to buy and read a copy? Who knows?! Also do they know how to disassemble a carb!
Sunday's crowd will be something to witness if the trend from opening day continues. It feels like someone stole my playground!!

Kelvis