PDA

View Full Version : AP: Later start? ABC wants Indy starts pushed back

dando
05-27-04, 10:33 PM
Sorry, I'm really trying to ignore the cr@pwagon 500, but I simply couldn't resist grabbing this item from ESPN.com. Heck, 11 is just a number, 2...

AP: Later start? ABC wants Indy starts pushed back (http://sports.espn.go.com/rpm/indy2004/news/story?id=1810994)

Best quote:

"We've got the safety issue of getting people in and out,'' Ungar said. "We don't want our fans stumbling around in the dark.''

Not after drinking all of that Kool Aid...

-Kevin

DaveL
05-27-04, 11:04 PM
Maybe more people would watch if they were given a reason to give a crap about the race anymore.

Just a theory.

Chief
05-27-04, 11:08 PM
ABC's not wasting anytime at the reins of the Indy 500. Tony George is allowing a broadcast company to make decisions for his 88 year old race. That is a sellout, a sellout for the privledge having a TV contract that no one watches or cares about. The complete destruction of the race is nearing completion. FTG.

DaveL
05-27-04, 11:12 PM
I can hear it now, "Stay tuned for Sportcenter coming up right after the Indy 500 on ESPN".

pineapple
05-27-04, 11:14 PM
Well if they just go ahead & put the lights in there'll be no worries about fans stumbling around in the dark. :rolleyes:

The details of this new contract - if they ever become known - with the "broadcast partner" should be good for some giggles.

sundaydriver2
05-27-04, 11:48 PM
[QUOTE=Chief]ABC's not wasting anytime at the reins of the Indy 500. Tony George is allowing a broadcast company to make decisions for his 88 year old race. That is a sellout, a sellout for the privledge having a TV contract that no one watches or cares about. The complete destruction of the race is nearing completion. FTG.[/QUOTE

You nailed it Chief. The Idiotgrandson has mortgaged everything to make it look like nothing is wrong.

This house of cards will come down.

Cam
05-27-04, 11:59 PM
"We've got the safety issue of getting people in and out,'' Ungar said. "We don't want our fans stumbling around in the dark.''

They assume tey have fans?

Jag_Warrior
05-28-04, 12:05 AM
Run it later? I say run it earlier... so more NASCAR drivers could take part. That's the only thing that will juice the ratings.

Based on the current trend, the last estimate I saw for this year's race is between 4.2 and 4.6. Quals were down, what, 40%? So, I'll guess a 4.3 or less for this year. Anybody want some over/under action on that? :laugh:

Steve99
05-28-04, 12:30 AM
Run it later? I say run it earlier... so more NASCAR drivers could take part. That's the only thing that will juice the ratings.

Exactly. Without the NASCAR drivers ratings would fall even lower. And who would they get to drum up excitment on fill day?

Rob
05-28-04, 09:34 AM
They could run it at night. After all, 11 is just a number and the sun is just a star. :rolleyes:

Clown
05-28-04, 10:20 AM
Its just a start time ;)

dando
05-28-04, 11:04 AM

Based on the current trend, the last estimate I saw for this year's race is between 4.2 and 4.6. Quals were down, what, 40%? So, I'll guess a 4.3 or less for this year. Anybody want some over/under action on that? :laugh:
Lemme see what kind of odds Tippy is giving on that. ;)

-Kevin

audi quattro
05-28-04, 11:26 AM
Earl fans have been stumbling around " in the dark " for years.

RacinM3
05-28-04, 11:27 AM
Who cares when they run it? Soon, it'll be back on the 11:00 PM Sunday time slot like the old days anyway.

Winston Wolfe
05-28-04, 11:55 AM
Who cares when they run it? Soon, it'll be back on the 11:00 PM Sunday time slot like the old days anyway.

Yup.
On Film.
Black & White film. For that "nostalgic" feel. When Indy was great. :shakehead

Changing the start time to later in the day will also effective eliminate the possibility that the NASCAR guys can do "the Double"..... which will further reduce any crossover watching.... and further reduce the ratings which have been in a free-fall....

I think the irl500 becomes a lead in show for the NAPCAB race.... perfection!

Jag_Warrior
06-03-04, 12:07 AM

4.1 < 4.3 :thumbup:

Tony George, you are the man! Next year I'm going to seek out some Vegas action on the Indy ratings. If I'm not mistaken, you've now gotten the Indy 500's ratings down to less than the average NASCAR race.

Indycool claims the Indy 500 is still the 800 lb. gorilla. Maybe so, but it looks to me like Mighty Joe Young has no nads.

JLMannin
06-03-04, 12:15 PM
4.1 < 4.3 :thumbup:

Tony George, you are the man! Next year I'm going to seek out some Vegas action on the Indy ratings. If I'm not mistaken, you've now gotten the Indy 500's ratings down to less than the average NASCAR race.

Indycool claims the Indy 500 is still the 800 lb. gorilla. Maybe so, but it looks to me like Mighty Joe Young has no nads.

More like a 200 lb chimp with a 600 lb anchor on its ass.

Is ABC really that stupid to go head to head with the World 600? If the start time was later, it would be a miracle to break the 3.0 barrier.

devilmaster
06-03-04, 12:21 PM
More like a 200 lb chimp with a 600 lb anchor on its ass.

Is ABC really that stupid to go head to head with the World 600? If the start time was later, it would be a miracle to break the 3.0 barrier.

It would more likely be a Monday race.... there has been talk about that.

Steve

JLMannin
06-03-04, 12:37 PM
It would more likely be a Monday race.... there has been talk about that.

Steve

I get it now. The Month of May will be condensed down to one week.

Thursday - Rookie orientation
Friday - Rookie orientation
Saturday - Practice
Sunday - Practice
Monday - No track activity
Tuesday - No track activity
Wednesday - Practice
Thursday - Practice
Friday - Practice
Saturday - Pole day
Sunday - Fill day
Monday (Memorial Day) - Race day

This way, Bart Peterson will still have his "more than a week, still a big deal" major event, and the IRL can go road racing in May.

devilmaster
06-03-04, 12:51 PM
Thursday - Rookie orientation
Friday - Rookie orientation
Saturday - Practice
Sunday - Practice
Monday - No track activity
Tuesday - No track activity
Wednesday - Practice
Thursday - Practice
Friday - Practice
Saturday - Pole day
Sunday - Fill day
Monday (Memorial Day) - Race day

May I humbly suggest a friendly amendment:

Thursday - Practice
Friday - Pole Day
Saturday - Fill Day
Sunday - Carburetion Day
Monday (Memorial Day) - Race Day

;)
Steve

JLMannin
06-03-04, 01:09 PM
May I humbly suggest a friendly amendment:

Thursday - Practice
Friday - Pole Day
Saturday - Fill Day
Sunday - Carburetion Day
Monday (Memorial Day) - Race Day

;)
Steve

That will be the final schedule when NASCRAP takes the May date. Until then, they have to pretend the irl 500 is still a big deal and spread a weekend of activity over 10 calendar days.

Tradition is important to TG, you know. :shakehead

Ankf00
06-03-04, 08:21 PM
you guys still talking Indy? there's the Cup Finals on!!! :D

fourrunner
06-03-04, 08:27 PM
I can hear it now, "Stay tuned for Sportcenter coming up right after the Indy 500 on ESPN".

Or better yet.... ESPN2 !

Sean O'Gorman
06-03-04, 08:31 PM
Or better yet.... ESPN2 !

And replace SportsCenter with an encore presentation of Cold Pizza. :laugh: :saywhat:

Jag_Warrior
06-07-04, 01:57 AM
you guys still talking Indy? there's the Cup Finals on!!! :D

And horse racing! :laugh:

Madmaxfan2
06-07-04, 10:17 AM
There is nothing ABC can do to repair the awfull ratings now. Even if they became the best producers in racing ( that of course has never been demonstrated ) Tony's horse is a loser.