PDA

View Full Version : Lockheed-Martin

Ankf00
05-27-04, 05:55 PM
The Ank is finally employed :)

Space Systems design group, Houston, TX

I wonder if I can blow up the bombardier IMS pagoda with a satellite like in Under Siege 2... hrmmmm :confused: , the possibilities... :D

It ain't Cosworth, but *shrug* who am I to complain? :thumbup:

KLang
05-27-04, 06:00 PM
Congrats, and welcome to Houston.

Insomniac
05-27-04, 07:07 PM
Congrats, and welcome to Houston.

Congrats Ank.

Steve99
05-27-04, 07:44 PM
Congrats.

Maybe you can take control of a weather satellite and have lightning take out the George family before the start of the IRL500. :D

Classic Apex
05-27-04, 08:49 PM
Nice job, dood. Congrats.

:cool:

Dave99
05-27-04, 08:52 PM
Houston, we have a problem! :p

Seriously f00, good luck to you in your new career. :thumbup:

btw, you do know that Skunk Works and skunk weed are not the same thing, right? :D

racer2c
05-27-04, 08:53 PM
Congrats. My building is in the same complex as your Reston VA branch, if you come across any web positions. Wink, wink! :)

lone_groover
05-27-04, 08:54 PM
Good goin' kid! Congratz.

Just don't let the man buy your soul.

:thumbup:

anait
05-28-04, 01:53 AM
Congratulations, Ank! :thumbup: Man, next thing we know, you'll be telling us you're buying a house... :D

Ankf00
05-28-04, 03:57 AM
i will be, w/in 1 year anywho, that's after my S40 T5....

mapguy
05-28-04, 05:51 AM
:saywhat: Somehow I didn't picture as a Volvo kinda guy. More like a Mercury Sable type. ;)

Anyhoo, great news on the job. :thumbup:

Turn7
05-28-04, 07:41 AM
Congrats on the job Ank. :thumbup:

RTKar
05-28-04, 08:05 AM
Congratulations, Ank! :thumbup: Man, next thing we know, you'll be telling us you're buying a house... :D

...married , kids, mini-van.....driving around in the mini van, tunes playing on a hot summer day, scoping out hot college chicks walking by...then you see your reflection in a window across the street and come back to reality...

KLang
05-28-04, 08:51 AM
Space Systems design group, Houston, TX

What sort of stuff do they do? Do you know what projects you'll be working on?

RaceGrrl
05-28-04, 09:45 AM
Congratulations f00boy!!!! I'm very proud. :)

Sean O'Gorman
05-28-04, 11:16 AM
...married , kids, mini-van.....driving around in the mini van, tunes playing on a hot summer day, scoping out hot college chicks walking by...then you see your reflection in a window across the street and come back to reality...

He doesn't need the marriage, kids, or minivan for that scenario to play out. :D

And now that you've got a job, get your ass up to Cleveland for the race!

pinniped
05-28-04, 12:16 PM
You'll pick up some great fashion tips from the fellow engineers...congrats Ank, good place to work...

cyclepath
05-28-04, 12:27 PM
Congrats!!!! but, as a veteran of the aerospace industry... Keep your resume up to date!!! ;)

Hope to see ya at more races now!!

RichK
05-28-04, 12:35 PM
Congrats, ank!

Helpful hint from one engineer to another: chicks dig pocket protectors.

Ferdman
05-28-04, 12:39 PM
Congrats.

Maybe you can take control of a weather satellite and have lightning take out the George family before the start of the IRL500. :D

Not the whole family. Just one person. :D

Congrats Ank!!!

G.
05-28-04, 01:20 PM
Awesome, Ank. Well, pretty good, I suppose. I mean, it might be an ok job and all, but it ain't rocket sci...

Hey, waitaminnit.

:thumbup:

Man, I remember starting out, fifteen freaking years ago. Took me a bit longer than a year to buy a house! Debt sux.

KLang
05-28-04, 02:25 PM
Better start shopping for an HDTV Ank. I just checked and Houston Time Warner cable has HDNet. :thumbup:

cart7
05-28-04, 02:34 PM
Congrats! :thumbup:

Next marriage, kids and the dreaded ank threads asking which mini-van is best. :laugh:

oddlycalm
05-28-04, 04:30 PM
Good gig Ank! Just remember, even Cosworth ain't Cosworth if you had to work there for more than a month.... :D

oc

Anteater
05-28-04, 05:39 PM
The Anteaters say "Congratulations and good luck, Ank!" :thumbup: :thumbup:

Ankf00
05-28-04, 06:54 PM
http://www.allnews40.com/gallery/800x600_profile.jpg
I'd like to see you say no to that mappy!

klang: it's station/shuttle design work

dave: I don't think skunkweed is amenable to a transfer to skunkworks ;)

and thanks everyone :) I'll finally be seeing you at RACES, imagine that, Ank at a race... how novel ;)

www.allnews40.com
http://www.roadandtrack.com/article.asp?section_id=9&article_id=1351
It'll be my first ever car :)

Jag_Warrior
05-28-04, 09:21 PM
Sharp ride! And congrats on the job. :thumbup:

Now as for going to races... You mean you want to take vacation and enjoy your life?! You really got a lot of nerve. Next thing ya know, you'll be complaining about 60 hour weeks cause you're exempt. Sheez!

Didn't want to move to Mirabel, eh? :D

manic mechanic
05-28-04, 11:28 PM
WTG f00!

I will have to "amend" my praise of you from now on, though...

"You can buy me a drink anytime, buddy!" :D

Seroius props on the opportunity, buddy! :thumbup:

manic

P.S. I'd drive about 50 cars before I bought the Volvo if I were in your shoes...There are too many great cars out there for less (like a Stillen G-35 Coupe) that may warrant consideration.

Trust a "wrench"..Volvo is now owned by Ford, and the warranty they give could become necessary, if you know what I mean.

RaceCat
05-29-04, 02:04 AM
oh man, if only I had known. I coulda got you employed and the better aerospace company......Boeing! :) Well congrats anyway! :) I love aerospace and to be very honest aerospace has been berrry berry good to me!

RaceCat

Hink
05-29-04, 03:17 AM
Congrts Ank - sounds like a cool job.

Ankf00
05-29-04, 04:32 AM
e
WTG f00!

I will have to "amend" my praise of you from now on, though...

"You can buy me a drink anytime, buddy!" :D

Seroius props on the opportunity, buddy! :thumbup:

manic

P.S. I'd drive about 50 cars before I bought the Volvo if I were in your shoes...There are too many great cars out there for less (like a Stillen G-35 Coupe) that may warrant consideration.

Trust a "wrench"..Volvo is now owned by Ford, and the warranty they give could become necessary, if you know what I mean.

i'd get STi looooooooooooong before g-35 or nissan equivalent, what's the word on the STi? the mpg sucks balls though, SF or some city w/ rail would be cool, but not houston where i'd be driving 60+ miles any time i decided to go out...

s40's got the price for the features w/ the power/weight, other than that it's WRX wagon cuz of the roofrack for the bike + kayak, or outback, or legacy gt for the folks to keep, or 350/rx (dislike both, just too big for me), or that miata turbo which is just too small for me...
i figure it's got that ford kwality, but they've had that I-5 engine for a while, figure they've developed it a good deal to a proper reliability envelope, not quite subaru/honda/toyota level, but something decent... but other than that, just not too enthused by the majority of the car market, it's too bland, too weak, and about as interesting as an aggy woman...
edit: the cars that I could actually afford anyways ;)

Ankf00
05-29-04, 05:15 AM
oh man, if only I had known. I coulda got you employed and the better aerospace company......Boeing! :) Well congrats anyway! :) I love aerospace and to be very honest aerospace has been berrry berry good to me!

RaceCat

guy who headed this fluid systems analysis group for Boeing, down next to my HS, he tried to get me on for that or this thermal analysis group next door but couldn't get the paycheck authorized, otherwise i woulda had a job 10 months ago, either way, screw it. once a year is up, i'm gonna collect a boeing paycheck so i can get twice the raise ;)

Ankf00
05-29-04, 05:16 AM

Railbird
05-29-04, 08:48 AM
congrats on the employment thing Ank, sounds like an interesting gig.

Now hop on a plane and buy me a beer.

Jag_Warrior
05-29-04, 10:42 AM
e

i'd get STi looooooooooooong before g-35 or nissan equivalent, what's the word on the STi? the mpg sucks balls though, SF or some city w/ rail would be cool, but not houston where i'd be driving 60+ miles any time i decided to go out...

s40's got the price for the features w/ the power/weight, other than that it's WRX wagon cuz of the roofrack for the bike + kayak, or outback, or legacy gt for the folks to keep, or 350/rx (dislike both, just too big for me), or that miata turbo which is just too small for me...
i figure it's got that ford kwality, but they've had that I-5 engine for a while, figure they've developed it a good deal to a proper reliability envelope, not quite subaru/honda/toyota level, but something decent... but other than that, just not too enthused by the majority of the car market, it's too bland, too weak, and about as interesting as an aggy woman...

Just my .02, but the weak link on the WRX seems to be the gearbox (through M/Y '03, anyway) - especially 1st gear. I just had mine in for the initial service at 3500 miles and I haven't found a glitch anywhere yet. It's the first car I've owned and haven't found a single defect after around 3 months. The 227 hp is measured at the crank. The AWD sucks off a lot of that power. At the wheels, most don't get over 170 hp to the ground... and while not heavy, it's hardly a light car. If they made an STi wagon, that would definitely be the way to go... I'd sell mine tomorrow and get one - my friend with the torque-steering Maxima is ready to buy it if I say "when". The STi sedan looks to Star Warish for someone my age - I just think the wagon is unique looking enough, while still being very practical.

The STi also has a stronger gear set than the WRX or RS... totally different tranny from what I've read: beefier 6 speed instead of the 5 speed.

BTW, you think I'm kidding about the vacation? You better learn the words to "16 Tons" ASAP. But to feel better, visit this website. Want A Life? (http://www.iwantmyvacation.com/) It's probably too late for me, but maybe someone else will be saved. :laugh:

Sean O'Gorman
05-29-04, 10:49 AM
Just my .02, but the weak link on the WRX seems to be the gearbox (through M/Y '03, anyway) - especially 1st gear.

I think thats mostly because of morons doing repeated clutch drops at 5,000 rpm.

racer2c
05-29-04, 12:51 PM
I think thats mostly because of morons doing repeated clutch drops at 5,000 rpm.

Hey! I resemble that remark! :flame: :)

Jag_Warrior
05-29-04, 02:23 PM

I don't know what the basis of the claim is. But a couple of owners groups are proposing a class action suit against Subaru for WRX's up through model year 2003. Mine is an '04 and is said not to be affected.

I'm a fairly cheap b@stard so I shopped and pushed for deals. I looked at Volvos (get a discount), the Jag X-type (discount), the baby Audi (no discount), Nissan Maxima (torque-steer from h#ll) and Altima (discount), Saab (discount), BMW 3 series (no discount) and the Subaru (no discount). I've had Toyotas, but neither Toyo nor Honda made my list - plus I hate passing myself every three miles. I wanted the baby Jag, but Ford has a way to go to get that car up to where it should be performance and quality wise - and like the Volvo, Saab, BMW and Audi, there are no dealers relatively close by.

I saw the old lady in that ad driving a WRX wagon, then I test drove one and decided that was the right choice. I just wish I could have gotten an STi as a wagon now. Talk about the ultimate sleeper.

Sean O'Gorman
05-29-04, 02:31 PM
I don't know what the basis of the claim is.

A friend of mine is a national level autocrosser who runs a WRX and he said that the WRX forums are full of posts from guys who had their trannies blow, and the common link is they were always at the drag strip and they always revved like hell before dropping the clutch. I figured that might have something to do with it.

fourrunner
05-29-04, 09:02 PM
Congratulations Ank !! Well deserved !! :thumbup:

Now once you get that house & get that Car & Get that HDTV with the Incredible Digital Surround System .....

You'll need an incredible Wall Unit to House it all in

That's where I come in !!!

But get the other stuff first !!!

Welcome to the Conspicuous Consumer side of life!! :cool:

JT265
05-30-04, 12:06 AM
Congratulations Ank !! Well deserved !! :thumbup:

Now once you get that house & get that Car & Get that HDTV with the Incredible Digital Surround System .....

You'll need an incredible Wall Unit to House it all in

That's where I come in !!!

But get the other stuff first !!!

Welcome to the Conspicuous Consumer side of life!! :cool:

Hmmm..........I don't remember you offering me an incredible wall unit.

Oh well, better to adjust the rabbit ears without it anyway. ;)

Oh, and like he said, congrats rocket scientist. :thumbup:

Ankf00
05-30-04, 03:58 AM
anyone notice my spree of post-last call posting during the past week? :D
especially this past weekend w/ mah older cuz in town :D

"Well, I moved back to Austin to try to make a livin
But it ain't been so easy with those hill country women
And I'm stuck inside of this 8x12 room
And my throat's a scratchin' from the cigaretts and booze
And my face is wrinklin' and my mind's a strayin'
And I get on my knees and I get to prayin'
But my hands are worn like the soles of my shoes
And the Lord only knows, I'm just fightin' the Nashville blues

Alt. Chorus:
I like Johnny Cash, Willie and Waylon
I think Chris (Wall) and Merle are songwritin' saviors
Old Keith Whitley, he died too soon
But now he's up there with Hank
And there both fightin' the Nashville blues

Well the songwritin's left up to old hillbillies
Young hippies and rednecks and girls like Miss Emmylou
I'm too young to have a point of view
But I just want to be a part of fightin' the Nashville blues
Fighten' the Nashville blues"

In conclusion: Nashville Sucks. Viva la Texas Country.

nz_climber
05-30-04, 04:20 PM
congrats on the job ank :thumbup:

TravelGal
05-31-04, 03:44 PM
Ank! What great news. :cool: Housing market in Houston is terrific (compared to here in SoCal). You'll have LOTS of dough left over to hit the races! Looking forward to seeing you again this year!

Ankf00
06-01-04, 09:08 PM
Man, the folks at Geico are smoking something good. They quoted me STi coverage at 400'ish less a year than a GTI VR6 (they didn't have R32 in their database yet) :saywhat: yes... my under 25 yo arse is going to be sooooo much less at risk in an STi... :gomer:
no sean, i'm not buying a mazda 6 instead of an R32, STi, or S40, quit getting your hopes up wussy.

Sean O'Gorman
06-01-04, 09:14 PM
no sean, i'm not buying a mazda 6 instead of an R32, STi, or S40, quit getting your hopes up wussy.

Thats ok, given the preferences you are looking for in a car as you described to me, I think a Cadillac Deville is more up your alley. :gomer:

Ankf00
06-01-04, 09:20 PM
Thats ok, given the preferences you are looking for in a car as you described to me, I think a Cadillac Deville is more up your alley. :gomer:

aww, if you feel that bad about it I can always get an mr-s with spinners, racing strips, and Folgers can exhaust so i can be just like you :gomer:

nz_climber
06-01-04, 09:45 PM
aww, if you feel that bad about it I can always get an mr-s with spinners, racing strips, and Folgers can exhaust so i can be just like you :gomer:

lol :D

racer2c
06-01-04, 09:48 PM
Don't you want to be like everyone else and get a Mustang? Heck, you can afford an SVT 'stang now! ;)

Sean O'Gorman
06-01-04, 09:51 PM

Hey, the only exterior mod on my car is lots and lots of bondo in the right rear, courtesy of the previous owner. :gomer:

Dave99
06-01-04, 09:54 PM
Your employment at Lockheed should affect your posting frequency by 35%, reducing your daily average to 1.3 ppd while concurrently improving your overall workplace efficiency co-efficient. Ankf00 = ROY! :thumbup:

Audi_A4
06-02-04, 12:11 AM
wow ... ANK got a real job ... cool :gomer:

nz_climber
06-02-04, 01:15 AM
wow ... ANK got a real job ... cool :gomer:

yeah i know - i thought it was a april fools day post at first ;)

4wheeldrifter
06-02-04, 07:30 AM
Congratulations man!

BTW... Me thinks you did a lot better than coming here. A blessing in disguise not hearing back from our HR. :thumbup:

Wheel-Nut
06-02-04, 10:12 AM
Way to go Ank. Welcome to Houston. I had an uncle that worked for Lockheed back in the day. He was an airframe and powerplant mechanic. He got to work on such notables as the SR-71, U-2 and in later years the F-117.

Ankf00
06-02-04, 10:09 PM
yeah i know - i thought it was a april fools day post at first ;)

I did too when they called :D

4wd: me thinks so too, screw those hos

nut: awesome