PDA

View Full Version : Terror Targets

Methanolandbrats
05-26-04, 11:43 AM
With renewed concern about "big events" in the USA being terrorist targets this summer, I'm surprised the F1 race is'nt on the list. It's an international event with a huge Global Following. The grandstands are certainly an excellent target and Gomer Security is probably a tad soft. Maybe since F1 is not widely followed in the USA it just never occured to Ridge and his buddies.

pchall
05-26-04, 12:15 PM
With renewed concern about "big events" in the USA being terrorist targets this summer, I'm surprised the F1 race is'nt on the list. It's an international event with a huge Global Following. The grandstands are certainly an excellent target and Gomer Security is probably a tad soft. Maybe since F1 is not widely followed in the USA it just never occured to Ridge and his buddies.

I think those guys are bright enough to know no one watches F1 in the US. They go for something everyone watches live in the US... American Idol finals! kaboom!

Sean O'Gorman
05-26-04, 02:06 PM
I think those guys are bright enough to know no one watches F1 in the US. They go for something everyone watches live in the US... American Idol finals! kaboom!

Good point, but just to be sure they should do a double check of the Mercedes engines before allowing them onto the track. :gomer:

Rogue Leader
05-26-04, 07:18 PM
I doubt theyd bomb an F1 race... theres always such a diverse mix of people that they know they would manage to piss off nearly EVERYONE on the planet...

Railbird
05-26-04, 08:15 PM
IMO, the Super Bowl would be about the only sporting event they would target. Pure American.

of course with those whacks you never know.

Robstar
05-26-04, 08:24 PM
They go for something everyone watches live in the US... American Idol finals! kaboom!

Nooooo ! Not Fantasia ! ;)

Afterthought (off topic): It's funny how, over here, we get ChampCars about 20 hours after the fact but we get American Idol, Survivor etc live... :confused:

stroker
05-26-04, 11:42 PM
I was at a conference last year with some very "international conflict" savvy people. One of them was of the opinion that Memorial Day is one of the worst dates in the American calendar for anti-terrorism work because there are so many potential targets. If the 9/11 bunch had decided to crash into the stands at the 600 or the 500 instead of the WTC/Pentagon we'd have probably had close to 50,000 casualties.... :(

I wouldn't regard the USGP as immune.

Napoleon
05-27-04, 08:13 AM
IMO, the Super Bowl would be about the only sporting event they would target. Pure American.

I think you could say that about NASCAR, and with a race someone could drive an RV packed with a bomb right into the track.

nz_climber
05-27-04, 04:29 PM
good idea nappy, we would make a great group of terrorists - we are so SmArt :gomer: