PDA

View Full Version : IRL vs CCWS in Portland Tribune Article

Shamus
05-25-04, 07:56 PM
http://www.portlandtribune.com/archview.cgi?id=24510

Many things tick me off in this article, but at least I know who to yell at at the Tribune and Peter Jacobsen Productions...

Argh!

cart7
05-25-04, 08:03 PM
Other than the fact that the earl has never run a road race with their current slugs, their cars are ugly and annoyingly loud, the overwhelming majority of road race fans will completely ignore the event and without an ISC ticket package to bolster attendance, there'll be more empty aluminum then at the local recycling plant, I can't see why they couldn't do just as good as job as CCWS at putting on a good show. :saywhat:

RTKar
05-25-04, 08:05 PM
And of the IRL’s 16 races, only two lack title sponsors. One of those is the Indy 500, which officials want to keep sacred.

..."sacred"....it's just a word.......:shakehead

Steve99
05-26-04, 12:56 AM
What a one-sided piece of **** article that is. Good thing he has an email link at the bottom. :)

The impetus to move away from all-oval racing comes from engine and car manufacturers, teams and drivers, Ungar says.

I guess the fans don't matter.

CARTNUT
05-26-04, 03:30 AM
They have aleady started to reconfigure the track for the EARL!!! ;)

http://www.xpphotoalbum.com/data/4794/2422track.jpg

'NUT :gomer:

Chaos
05-26-04, 08:58 AM
I guess the fans don't matter.

when have they ever?

wood-eye
05-26-04, 04:18 PM
I wrote a "letter to the editor" the last time this newspaper discussed the IRL and the PIR (Portland International Speedway). The newspaper (by the way, The Oregonian is the major newspaper in Portland) seems to want this IRL thing to happen. I don't know if my letter was ever printed, but they tried to get me to change my words to change the intent....I refused as their "version" simply sounded much better for supporting their argument. My point mainly was to look at Homestead and Phoenix....how much positive economic impact was "had" as a result of the IRL race in each of those locations? These are mirrors to look in to see what will happen if the IRL moves to Portland.

I've also talked to the Portland promotor...they are not doing the best they can do for PIR and Champ Car. They need to step up and do what they are being paid to do..promote ...promote. ...and the Tribune should recognize it is trying to create something not good for its community.

racer2c
05-26-04, 04:42 PM
Interesting. It's very similar to what happened in St. Pete (which is on the IRL's short list too)

mueber
05-26-04, 05:09 PM
We all knew this was coming. If they want us, they want us; if they don't, they don't.

Make an offer that works for both sides. If they take it, great. If not, that biblical thing about dust off your sandals.

anait
05-26-04, 05:19 PM
Make an offer that works for both sides. If they take it, great. If not, that biblical thing about dust off your sandals.

Heheheh...that works in many situations, doesn't it. :cool:

oddlycalm
05-27-04, 05:28 PM
They have aleady started to reconfigure the track for the EARL!!! ;) 'NUT :gomer:

:D No more ridiculous than the article.

A more accurate title for the article would have been "1 racetrack, 0 races?" The idiot local leadership and media are busy fantasizing about having multiple races when in reality they are very unlikely to have any within a very few years.

I won't post the entire letter I sent to Vondersmith, with a copy to Bob Ames and Bill Hildick, but that is the message I sent. Portland has a "grass is greener" syndrome. Instead of making sure we have the necessary support for the race we do have, the media is distracted by pipe dreams of NASCAR speedways and doesn't seem to grasp the tactics, or actual demonstrated track record, of the IRL.

I expect they will have many years with no race whatsoever to reflect on what went wrong... :shakehead

oc

dando
05-28-04, 12:58 PM
Here's a piece from the AP after KK's visit yesterday:

linky (http://sports.espn.go.com/rpm/news/story?id=1811011)

-Kevin

KLang
05-28-04, 02:36 PM
A more upbeat story from Portland:

Oregonlive story (http://www.oregonlive.com/motorsports/oregonian/index.ssf?/base/sports/108574550388130.xml)

Check out this quote:

Portland is one of the only events on Champ Car's schedule still without a major sponsor. There has been a looming threat of the rival Indy Racing League planting its flag at Portland International Raceway and staging an IRL race next July or August. But Kalkhoven strongly indicated that the IRL does not present a threat.

"The IRL is a model that's already failing," he said. "Everything they've done, everywhere they've gone, it's like a horde of locusts descending on something, eating everything up and leaving a desert behind them.

"Look at what they've done to Indy," Kalkhoven said in reference to the Indianapolis 500. "They've destroyed it. Bump Day used to be 60 or 70 cars competing. Now they're struggling to get 33 cars."

Kalkhoven said Portland has a future on the Champ Car schedule with or without Budweiser, G.I. Joe's or Freightliner (all former title sponsors) attached to its name.

"Is it an absolute necessity?" Kalkhoven said of having a major sponsor. "No."

locusts.... :rofl: :rofl:

dando
05-28-04, 03:38 PM
:thumbup:
:rofl:
-Kevin

oddlycalm
05-28-04, 04:14 PM
locusts.... :rofl: :rofl:

A plague of locusts is an analogy that has a rich tradition... :rofl:

Yeah, the Oregonian has a much more realistic approach than either the Tribune or a couple of the TV organizations. They have always been supportive of the race and do a nice special race section the week of the event.

I'm curious to see if this kind of battle is going to be played out at the other venues. You can just never tell with locusts...

oc

scanman
05-28-04, 05:00 PM
I'm curious to see if this kind of battle is going to be played out at the other venues. You can just never tell with locusts...
oc
I can hardly wait to read snoris mc'd!khead of the star do an article when
the ChampCars come to town... :rolleyes: He's just a senile old man... :cry:

RobC71
05-28-04, 06:14 PM
KK rocks, its great to have a leader who is not afraid to speak his mind....especially when I agree with him completely.

Rob C

Madmaxfan2
05-28-04, 07:10 PM
They have aleady started to reconfigure the track for the EARL!!! ;)

http://www.xpphotoalbum.com/data/4794/2422track.jpg

'NUT :gomer:
Love that map. You will need those first aid stations. Nothing like planning ahead.