PDA

View Full Version : Tarso and the tow rope

JLMannin
05-24-04, 08:27 AM
The announcers and many here are saying that this is the first time they have seen something like this. I am positive I have seen at least one incident like this before, and I swear that it was a Coyne or Wakler car at one of the road course races (Elkart Lake or Mid-Ohio??)

I cannot remember anymore specific information other than that, and I'm sure the out of race reason in the scoring report would be "contact" or "suspension", and not "tow rope entanglement" :)

Somebody here has to remember this as well. . . .

Turn7
05-24-04, 01:51 PM
I didn't see the incident your referring to but, when Gidley ran the Coyne/DirecTV car up on the back of Tarso Marques Swift/Panasonic in Houston I recall one of the tow straps getting caught up in the car being towed. '99 I think.

Leygomyeggo
05-24-04, 02:01 PM
I think it was Nakano at Mid Ohio in 2000.

JoeBob
05-24-04, 02:18 PM
The DirecTV car that Gidley drove was for Della Penna, not Coyne. (Filling in for an Argentinian that Della Penna had found, and whose name I don't remember.)

Ed_Severson
05-24-04, 02:26 PM
Norberto Fontana. And the guy that Gidley got tangled with was Max Papis, not Marques.

Turn7
05-24-04, 04:40 PM
My memory is failing me in my old age obviously....that incident happened right in front of me.

:eek:

Clown
05-25-04, 09:16 AM
What a dumbarse!
He was holding onto the rope AFTER the engine started :laugh:
If he had of actually let go....

Wheel-Nut
05-25-04, 09:28 AM
Tarso and Kurt Busch should get the "Idiot of the Week" award.

oddlycalm
05-30-04, 05:22 PM
Like full course yellows, towing an re-starting cars is an oval track legacy that makes little sense on a road course. A variety of other racing series manage to avoid both of these issues while achieving similar overal safety records, and if CWS wants to attain wider popularity, a good start would be to learn to manage races without all the lengthy FCY's.

oc

skidmarks
05-30-04, 05:52 PM
I agree, no push/pull restarts. If only eight cars finish that's fine, local yellow, get the car out of harms way and let the driver walk back to the pits.

Railbird
05-30-04, 10:26 PM
Tarso scewed the pooch, but I don't suppose he's had a lot of pull start experience.

I agree with skidmarks and OC, local yellows, if you spin and either kill the engine or bury it in a trap you're out.