PDA

View Full Version : Monterrey: Good, Bad, Ugly

Chaos
05-23-04, 07:13 PM
Good:

Bourdais. Good win for him. He looked like he lost a few pounds with all the sweat.

Tagliani. An up-down weekend with a 5th place result. Not bad.

Dominguez. Podium in his native land.

15 of 18 finished the race.

Bad:

Yellow, Yellow, Yellow...enough!

Passing...well, there was passing, but the TV really did a bad job showing it.

Ugly:

Marques and his episode with the tow. Another reason for onboard starters.

RTKar
05-23-04, 07:43 PM
Good:

Bourdais. Good win for him. He looked like he lost a few pounds with all the sweat.

Bad:

Ugly:

My biggest gripe...I know, I shouldn't complain because we have a season to watch on tv...but there won't be many more if you don't sell the on track product. The F1 tv product this morning, on the other hand, is leagues ahead of where Champcar needs to be in order to succeed. Great camera angles, you can feel and see the speed, the vibration and motion of the car, there is so much more artistry to the F1 production. It simply looks so much more interesting.

Old3Fan
05-23-04, 07:53 PM
The 2 mandatory green flag pit stops. Looks to me like the smart thing to do if they keep this rule is to pit on green the first lap that you can BECAUSE there will be always yellows where you can catch up and pass and gain many seconds.

Insomniac
05-23-04, 08:12 PM
Good:

Bad:

Ugly:

I'd like to add, great job by Tags, he moved up 10 spots and was passing people on track (great use of PTP, why weren't you on it PT?). I really want to know how he passed PT and Wilson. Also, very well done by Mario. I know he gained a lot of position because of pit strategy, but others tried it and didn't fare as well. To go from 2nd to 18th and finish 3rd, great job and well deserved. Newman-Haas were on the ball all weekend. Congratulations to them. Bruno, gracious in defeat. :)

I already added my $0.02 on the bad and ugly in the seemed slow thread.

That thing with Tarso was crazy. The Simple Green team messed up. They drove off the track to give him that tow. They should stay on track in front of the car.

Insomniac
05-23-04, 08:14 PM
The 2 mandatory green flag pit stops. Looks to me like the smart thing to do if they keep this rule is to pit on green the first lap that you can BECAUSE there will be always yellows where you can catch up and pass and gain many seconds.

I don't know. You can do that, but every time you're basically hoping for the breaks. So far, being the fastest is what wins this season. Tags was fast. Dominquez was fast. Newman-Haas was fast. Whatever strategy and race position they had, they all found their way to the front in the end.

dando
05-23-04, 08:32 PM
That thing with Tarso was crazy. The Simple Green team messed up. They drove off the track to give him that tow. They should stay on track in front of the car.

Simple Green isn't involved w/CCWS this season. I did a double take @ the trucks due to all of the green on them, but the name on the trucks is CCWS Safety Team.

In agree that driving off the track while towing Tarso was a mistake, knocking him out of the race.

-Kevin

RaceGrrl
05-23-04, 09:28 PM
I don't think you can blame the safety team for the freaky thing with tow rope. Marques let go too late and he didn't control where he let go of the rope. So it's the safety team's fault the he spun and killed the engine and subsequently let go of the rope too late on the tow? This one is Marques' own fault.

nrc
05-23-04, 09:42 PM
Marques said that the car was started. There was no reason for the safety team to stay on the track. He should have let go of the rope sooner. Marques screwed the pooch.

Ankf00
05-23-04, 09:47 PM
once the car's started there's no reason to hold onto that rope

Lizzerd
05-23-04, 10:39 PM
Marques said that the car was started. There was no reason for the safety team to stay on the track. He should have let go of the rope sooner. Marques screwed the pooch.

My quote to 'bird when I heard him say that is "That would be your que to let go of the tether!"

audi quattro
05-23-04, 11:11 PM
it was a good race

Insomniac
05-24-04, 08:14 AM
I have never seen the safety truck drive through the grass to give a car a tow. They always stayed on track. You guys can blame Tarso all you want, this was a first and it wasn't because of Tarso.

mueber
05-24-04, 08:48 AM
Yeah Sebastian.

I enjoyed the race. Gotta simplify those pit rules, too fake. Very nice to have Jon back, and I rather like Rick Benjamin.

It's very early days. I think Spike TV and the series are moving in the right direction and that by the end of the season things will be running much better.

Note to Paul Gentilozzi, Mika Salo is available.

losedagrooves
05-24-04, 10:43 AM
Lavin driving for a top team. Sorry, it's just not right.

RaceGrrl
05-24-04, 10:54 AM
Good: Jan Beekhuis. His enthusiasm is great. I've missed his pit reporting.
Bad: Rick Benjamin... He referred to Ryan Hunter Reay as "the 4 car." That's gomer-speak and has no place in ChampCar racing.
Ugly: Bob Jenkins was both bad and ugly. Get rid of him.

Yes, this is a bad Monday, and yes, I'm pissy.
:p

Sean O'Gorman
05-24-04, 10:58 AM
Bad: Rick Benjamin... He referred to Ryan Hunter Reay as "the 4 car." That's gomer-speak and has no place in ChampCar racing.

:saywhat:

What, Champ Car fans are too sophisticated for car numbers now?

Chiphead_Dave
05-24-04, 10:59 AM
Good

Tag, Newman-Haas

Bad

Tv coverage sucked :thumdown: . Sure, it was TV Azteca but they missed every one of Tag's passes. Including the one I would have really wanted to see over Tracy.

RaceGrrl
05-24-04, 11:05 AM
:saywhat:

What, Champ Car fans are too sophisticated for car numbers now?

Yes. We're smarter than that. I'm not a fan of a number, I'm a fan of a driver.

It is the responsibility of the broadcasters to refer to the driver and the SPONSOR. Duh.

JT265
05-24-04, 11:11 AM
Yes. We're smarter than that. I'm not a fan of a number, I'm a fan of a driver.

It is the responsibility of the broadcasters to refer to the driver and the SPONSOR. Duh.

Unless of course it's Naschore, where the mere mention of a sponsor will get you hurt. Badly. Unless they have paid France & Co. for the privilege.

Hence the 4 car reference which SeanO takes great umbrage to.

nrc
05-24-04, 11:18 AM
Right. ChampCar *needs* drivers/sponsors mentioned. Car numbers are largely meaningless.

Sean O'Gorman
05-24-04, 11:36 AM
Right. ChampCar *needs* drivers/sponsors mentioned. Car numbers are largely meaningless.

I'm not going to argue against getting in more sponsor mentions, but I don't see how referring to drivers by car numbers is "gomer speak." :confused:

nrc
05-24-04, 12:21 PM
Smart boy... (http://www.wiseacre-gardens.com/buttons/pics/sounds/trapmice.wav) :p

Andrew Longman
05-24-04, 12:28 PM
I'm not going to argue against getting in more sponsor mentions, but I don't see how referring to drivers by car numbers is "gomer speak." :confused:

It seems Spike and OWRS want a more American and familiar faces on the telecast. Gone are Daly and Fish, in are Jenkins, Benjamin and Beekus.

Using the term "the 4 car" is decidedly more common in stock cars were the iconic number is the biggest thing on the car. The ubiquous "3" and "24" seen on rear windows around the country are testimony to the importance of numbers to stock cars.

In champcar, I can only think of 99 having special meaning and only after Moore's death.

So call it Gomerish if you like, but it definitely is more Nascar like. And if Spike is trying to make Champcar seem more familiar that would explain use of terms like that, as well as faces like JEnkins and Benjamin.

I don't like this "americanizing" of Champcar, though I am happy to have Beekus back.

RaceGrrl
05-24-04, 12:37 PM
I don't like this "americanizing" of Champcar, though I am happy to have Beekus back.

Agreed on both points. If it's too dumbed down, I won't watch. ChampCar needs its core fan base to stay strong. Don't tinker too much, or you lose the people who are most supportive of the series.

Ankf00
05-24-04, 12:40 PM
Unless of course it's Naschore, where the mere mention of a sponsor will get you hurt. Badly. Unless they have paid France & Co. for the privilege.

Hence the 4 car reference which SeanO takes great umbrage to.
hehe, he said "umbrage," hehe

Ankf00
05-24-04, 12:44 PM
ppl think of greg moore as #99, Foyt's #14 was retired for a short while (how 99 stays retired and 14 is used is beyond me, but whatever)

penske used to historically use #68 and #69 and reentered his cars at Indy in '01 under that

i'd say numbers haven't been meaningless in this series, not the most important, but certainly not meaningless

pineapple
05-24-04, 01:24 PM
The good

Seb.

Justin Wilson.

Dominguez and Tag - excellent runs from the back.

N/H pit crews.

Jan B doing the pit reporting.

Race Director.

The bad

Average TV coverage, missed a lot of good action on the track & didn't relay the excitement to the audience.

Spike TV airing lifestyle segments during green flag racing.

The FCY's, although shorter and better-handled than in past years, they still disrupted the racing.

The ugly

Tarso's imitation of rodeo calf roping.

PT taking out Jimmy in the last lap. That really sucked.

oddlycalm
05-24-04, 01:34 PM
Good - On track passing for position is back
Bad - We didn't get to see the passing for position due to TV Azteca
Ugly - Jenkins is a sphincter with no redeeming qualities

oc

Jay
05-24-04, 01:34 PM
Can't really add a lot... but, I still have to wonder about allowing 17 year old Nelson Phillipe race in this series. He is clearly not fit to drive one of these cars and IMO may even be a hazard for the other drivers. Thank goodness we don't race on the superspeedways anymore... From his qualifications I would not even have put in on a team in Atlantic, nevertheless Champcar. I know they need the 18th car, but I think PG could have found a better cheque to take...

Insomniac
05-24-04, 02:26 PM
ppl think of greg moore as #99, Foyt's #14 was retired for a short while (how 99 stays retired and 14 is used is beyond me, but whatever)

Let's see. Greg died racing all out in Fontana and AJ Foyt continues to crap all over CART/OWRS/ChampCar. I wonder why they would keep 99 retired and not 14?

Ankf00
05-24-04, 05:57 PM
Let's see. Greg died racing all out in Fontana and AJ Foyt continues to crap all over CART/OWRS/ChampCar. I wonder why they would keep 99 retired and not 14?
the retirement should be a tribute to his racing accomplishments, not his politics, which do suck.

lets start booting ppl out of the baseball hall of fame for being white supremacists, oh ya that's the ticket.

Chaos
05-24-04, 06:03 PM
they should not have retired the number in the first place.

datachicane
05-24-04, 06:59 PM
IIRC, #14 wasn't retired, it was reserved for use by Foyt. Big difference.

Foyt made it pretty clear over the last nine years that he'd be more likely to take that lucrative Jenny Craig gig than to use the number reserved for him again, so why bother keeping his seat warm?

A total non-issue, IMHO. Your mileage may vary.

RaceChic
05-24-04, 07:15 PM
Tarso's imitation of rodeo calf roping.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

You're cracking this Barrel Racer up..... :p

IlliniRacer
05-24-04, 09:16 PM
Definately NOT Ugly

http://www.champweb.net/images_database/gal2004_02b/Dsc00227.jpg

audi quattro
05-24-04, 09:24 PM

because people like greg and couldn't give a rats arse about tubby.
Any other questions?

Chaos
05-24-04, 10:35 PM
Tecate has quality product

KLang
05-25-04, 06:41 AM

:thumbup:
Champweb has a good collection of sponsor babe pics.

Insomniac
05-25-04, 08:27 AM
IIRC, #14 wasn't retired, it was reserved for use by Foyt. Big difference.

Foyt made it pretty clear over the last nine years that he'd be more likely to take that lucrative Jenny Craig gig than to use the number reserved for him again, so why bother keeping his seat warm?

A total non-issue, IMHO. Your mileage may vary.

You are right. Good catch on that.

Anteater
05-25-04, 06:09 PM
My dream came true! (http://www.offcamber.net/forums/showpost.php?p=52989&postcount=10) :cool:

Aside from that, there was some great driving (Tag especially), a lousy announcer (guess who), crummy video coverage (TV Azteca), and what is up with wasting airtime with the stuff from "Dangerous Curves" when there's a freakin' RACE on!?!

Mr. Vengeance
05-25-04, 06:19 PM

The cans are nice, too.

RHR_Fan
05-25-04, 08:21 PM
It seems Spike and OWRS want a more American and familiar faces on the telecast. Gone are Daly and Fish, in are Jenkins, Benjamin and Beekus.

Is that true? Although I do like Jon, I also enjoyed hearing Fish and Daly.

~Nicole

nrc
05-25-04, 09:41 PM
Is that true? Although I do like Jon, I also enjoyed hearing Fish and Daly.

Someone said that Jon was subbing because Calvin Fish had a conflict. Daly did too, so I wouldn't assume anything.

cart7
05-25-04, 09:50 PM
Good - Overall, I liked the race. The pit strategy made it a little confusing but I'll get used to it. Passing again! :thumbup: Mexican coverage sucked but we'll have to get used to watching "Quick hands" Lavin in Mex. City again.

Bad - AJ, get something on the side of that car. It's hideous. I kept hearing Mexican voices bleeding over into the telecast on Race Director and any of the drivers audio. Kinda annoying.

Ugly - Jenkins has gotta go. During the commercials, you could hear that TK and Jerkins had nothing to say. On a couple of off course shunts, TK had to fill the shill in on who the driver of the off course car was. Overall, his mind was obviously in Indy.

Anteater
05-25-04, 10:31 PM
Someone said that Jon was subbing because Calvin Fish had a conflict. Daly did too, so I wouldn't assume anything.

This is definitely true for Calvin; at Long Beach, he told me that Jon would be subbing for him when he has other commitments this season.
Here (http://www.offcamber.net/forums/showpost.php?p=48878&postcount=21.)

Don't know about Daly, but I hope he'll be back, too.