PDA

View Full Version : Tony Stewart...

RTKar
05-23-04, 06:09 PM
In a drivers suit. ...Tony bucks at work trying to sell race tickets?

Chitowncartfreak
05-23-04, 06:13 PM
I don't think he'll attempt to qualify - although I do think he will shake the car down. This is all an attempt to get more gomers to either 1) eat an additional tenderloin while sitting in front of the TV to watch Bump Day, or 2) drop their tenderloins completely and get out to the speedway ASAP.

RTKar
05-23-04, 06:28 PM
What a scam... :shakehead

Skater_36
05-23-04, 06:32 PM
I don't think he'll attempt to qualify - although I do think he will shake the car down. This is all an attempt to get more gomers to either 1) eat an additional tenderloin while sitting in front of the TV to watch Bump Day, or 2) drop their tenderloins completely and get out to the speedway ASAP.

This whole situation is being played up by the announcers and IRL officials. Gary Gerrould slipped and said that Stewart is "pretending" to get fitted for a seat. I don't think the players in this little act of pathos counted on the weather clearing up, that forced their hand and now they are falling back on "sponsor commitments" as a way out of this mess. The IRL is now more ridiculous than professional wrestling.

As an aside: Who is the bigger jackass, Jack Arute of Paul Page?

CARTNUT
05-23-04, 06:33 PM
http://www.toothpastefordinner.com/092603/fishing-exaggeration.gif

:shakehead

Chitowncartfreak
05-23-04, 06:34 PM

Isn't that kind of like choosing between hospital food and airline food? However, I'd have to go with Arute - but it's close.

Insomniac
05-23-04, 06:40 PM

I'd give the edge to Arute. Every football season I thank my lucky stars that my team isn't in the Big 10.

Ankf00
05-23-04, 06:44 PM
I'd give the edge to Arute. Every football season I thank my lucky stars that my team isn't in the Big 10.
he unfortunately makes it to the cotton bowl in october and back to college station or austin many novembers :(

Lizzerd
05-23-04, 08:25 PM
This (the Stewart thing) was nothing more than a blatant, farcical ploy for ratings by ims and ESPN. Sadly, it probably worked. They went so far as to even put his name on the car.

It was a bit comical for us who went to The Ale Emporium, being able to watch the race on the big screen, and the "drama" at ims unfold at the same time. What a freakin' joke.

P.T. Barnum, anyone?

Lizzerd
05-23-04, 08:28 PM
Yikes... now that I've read more threads, the "gentleman's agreement" was in place before this whole fiasco started? I'm gonna puke...

Madmaxfan2
05-23-04, 10:38 PM
The upshot is ...... Cary Agaganion (sp) threated a lawsuit against AJ and Tony Stewart for a breech of Tony Steward's contract, which must have contained a cluse in which Joe Giibs racing must approve all racing activites outside of NASCAR. It was quite a scam job allright, Foyt I heard laughed the whole thing off.

Jervis Tetch 1
05-23-04, 10:39 PM
Did I hear P.T. Barnum?

By golly there is a sucker born every minute.

Cam
05-23-04, 11:11 PM
Trying like hell to keep my eyelids separated so I can watch Sportsjam tonaight and the Calabro spin.... :rolleyes:

Have already seen RM comment..... "It was all a scam!" The Truth tomorrow will be full of audio tidbits!

stymie
05-23-04, 11:28 PM
The upshot is ...... Cary Agaganion (sp) threated a lawsuit against AJ and Tony Stewart for a breech of Tony Steward's contract, which must have contained a cluse in which Joe Giibs racing must approve all racing activites outside of NASCAR. It was quite a scam job allright, Foyt I heard laughed the whole thing off.
Gibbs does not have the final say in Tony's non NASCAR races, and any attempt to make Indy is written in as OK. While Gibbs does not have a final say in Tony racing, Tony was not going to do anything to hurt Gibbs with Chevy. Funny how Chevy is OK with Stewart running teams powered by MOPAR in WoO and all USAC divisions, but did not want him to practice a Toyota at Indy. Tony had a chance to merely "shake down" a car on an other wise non-eventfull day at IMS. The media pushed a non-event(he never planned to qualify) into a huge story, or more like Tony and AJ having fun at the medias expense.

Steve99
05-24-04, 11:56 AM
I wonder how much Stewart got paid for this public appearance?

Andrew Longman
05-24-04, 12:07 PM
What a complete insult to the fans.

What do they take us for, marroons?

The fact that so few fell for this restores my faith in public education. The fact that ANYONE fell for it confirms my belief that some people are just not trainable.

pineapple
05-24-04, 12:43 PM
SHAM

SHAME

What's funny is the gomers can't see that the ONLY thing that generated an iota of interest in their Sunday afternoon infield picnic was NASCAR / ISC.

IMS couldn't do it despite throwing loads of bucks around.
Couldn't do it by having its "engine partners" throw barrels of yen right, left and center.
Couldn't do it by gently strongarming some dependent teams.
Couldn't do it even when they had to resort to outright bribery and backroom "gentlemen's agreements".

But, NASCAR could do it by simply sending ONE guy who showed up without a suit or helmet to pretend he might run - with AJ Foyt of all people.

Tony's little plastic playskool hammer ain't got nothing on that solid steel sledgehammer the Frances wield.

Now you know who's running the show at 16th & Georgetown.

Brickman
05-24-04, 12:43 PM
What a complete insult to the fans.

What do they take us for, marroons?

The fact that so few fell for this restores my faith in public education. The fact that ANYONE fell for it confirms my belief that some people are just not trainable.

It was good marketing and nothing more, it would have been funny and enjoyable except for the sad fact that bump day is now fill day. Tony Stewart got ink and fans/nonfans talking, he succeeded.

http://sports.yahoo.com/irl/news?slug=irlstewart&prov=st&type=lgns

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/motor/irl/indy500/2004-05-23-qualifying_x.htm

NASCAR's Stewart Makes Indy Appearance

By MICHAEL MAROT, AP Sports Writer

INDIANAPOLIS — Tony Stewart's push to make this year's Indianapolis 500 started as a joke. It ended Sunday with Stewart standing in a white driver's suit on pit road, determined to return to Indianapolis next May.

"I want to be in it more than you can imagine right now," Stewart said of this year's race.

Stewart, the 2002 NASCAR Winston Cup champion and the series' bad boy, again found himself embroiled in controversy. This time, Stewart had only himself -- and his stock-car contract -- to blame.

After being criticized recently by NASCAR officials and other drivers, Stewart created a huge stir during Sunday's final round of qualifying on Indianapolis' 2 1/2-mile oval with a last-minute decision to join A.J. Foyt's team.

Andrew Longman
05-24-04, 01:31 PM
Brick and Pineapple:

I guess your comments are telling. I just am still not so cynical about human nature to just blow this off as a "good" marketing. Its insulting and they should be told so.

This had as much credibility as the canned hyperbole of a daredevil stunt at a monster truck pull.

And it only worked because it was NASCAR driver and hoosier favorite Tony Stewart. THAT's what got people excited, not because there was actually a chance of a bump. What if had been the racing dentist, Salizar, Boat, Beechler or other IRL past "greats" that suddenly showed up and threated to bump? No one would care.

And they didn't pull Gil or Kenny Brack or even Rick Mears out for this gag, which they might have done given they wouldn't actually have to drive. Again, because their own stars wouldn't have made the same buzz. And that's your point Pineapple.

Sad :shakehead

pineapple
05-24-04, 04:05 PM
Brick and Pineapple:

I guess your comments are telling. I just am still not so cynical about human nature to just blow this off as a "good" marketing. Its insulting and they should be told so.

This had as much credibility as the canned hyperbole of a daredevil stunt at a monster truck pull.

And it only worked because it was NASCAR driver and hoosier favorite Tony Stewart. THAT's what got people excited, not because there was actually a chance of a bump. What if had been the racing dentist, Salizar, Boat, Beechler or other IRL past "greats" that suddenly showed up and threated to bump? No one would care.

And they didn't pull Gil or Kenny Brack or even Rick Mears out for this gag, which they might have done given they wouldn't actually have to drive. Again, because their own stars wouldn't have made the same buzz. And that's your point Pineapple.

Sad :shakehead

Andrew:

I guess cynicism becomes second nature to me when IMS gets involved in stupid publicity stunts like this. You made my point in a more succint manner though. :)

J Lazier was treated rather shabbily by the players in this charade, IMO, and if you think about it, so were the fans.

It was pitiful.

Chaos
05-24-04, 04:43 PM
"J Lazier at Indy" doesnt get on mainstream sports coverage like "T Stewart at Indy".

I guess this means we're gonna see more of this next year. Why have actual bumping when you can pretend that there might be bumping.

RTKar
05-26-04, 07:42 AM
Come to think of it, as soon as Larry Curry's mug showed up in the garage, everyone should have known it was a scam...maybe he slipped his ankle monitor.