View Full Version : Montoya wants to cancel McLaren contract

RaceChic
05-23-04, 11:33 AM
From F1-Live.com:

[23/05/04 - 09:17]

Montoya wants to cancel McLaren contract
Silly-season moves up a gear

Will Montoya move to McLaren in 2005?

Juan Pablo Montoya doesn't want to go to McLaren.

An unnamed F1 owner told The Telegraph on Saturday that BMW- Williams' driver is trying to cancel a contract to drive a silver car from 2005.

McLaren is struggling to hang-on to even the mid-field this season.

According to the British newspaper, 28-year-old Montoya's management are 'sounding out other teams' as the new silly-season shifts into first gear.

Source GMM / CAPSIS International

Not entirely surprising considering how McLaren seems to have slipped back in terms of performance this year. :(

cart7
05-23-04, 11:41 AM
:shakehead Juan, Juan, Juan. You should have sucked it up and made amends with Frank. Maybe with McLarens new Uber facility finally up and running they can get they're eye back on what's important.

RaceChic
05-23-04, 11:44 AM
:shakehead Juan, Juan, Juan. You should have sucked it up and made amends with Frank. Maybe with McLarens new Uber facility finally up and running they can get they're eye back on what's important.

Forgive me, but what "Uber Facility"?

Lately I havn't kept up with Formula One as much. I feel it has left something to be desired this year. :shakehead

Methanolandbrats
05-23-04, 11:50 AM
Forgive me, but what "Uber Facility"?

Lately I havn't kept up with Formula One as much. I feel it has left something to be desired this year. :shakehead They built a state of the art workshop to park their junk in. The Queen liked it.

http://www.mclaren.com/technologycentre/

Clown
05-23-04, 11:50 AM
Poetic Justice...... :p

RaceChic
05-23-04, 11:53 AM
What happened between Frank Williams and Juan Pablo Montoya? :confused:

BZSetshot
05-23-04, 11:54 AM
I do believe McLaren will have it sorted out by the end of the year. If JPM stays it should work out next year. Big gamble to take with one's career though..

Insomniac
05-23-04, 01:10 PM
I don't know why he signed the contract so far in advance. It's not like his services wouldn't be in high demand. He made his own bed.

RTKar
05-23-04, 01:29 PM
I want to see the only guy with guts enough to challenge Schumi with a good ride. I don't care how he does it.

Audi_A4
05-23-04, 01:38 PM
remember its just a rumor

RaceChic
05-23-04, 01:43 PM
remember its just a rumor

Wouldn't be all that surprising, though. :)

4wheeldrifter
05-23-04, 01:45 PM
Maybe Ferrari would buy out Rubens and put Monty in the other red seat. :laugh: :p We could have the second coming of Senna/Prost, this time at Ferrari. The Chopmacher and the Unforgiving slamming into each other every race off P1 and P2 would be classic television.

Rogue Leader
05-23-04, 02:07 PM
I want to see the only guy with guts enough to challenge Schumi with a good ride. I don't care how he does it.

Ehh I dont think he has what it takes to challenge Schumi, I think JV would pimp slap them both in the right car, especially Montoya...

Rogue Leader
05-23-04, 02:08 PM
Maybe Ferrari would buy out Rubens and put Monty in the other red seat. :laugh: :p We could have the second coming of Senna/Prost, this time at Ferrari. The Chopmacher and the Unforgiving slamming into each other every race off P1 and P2 would be classic television.

Too bad Ferrari would never do that because they know thats EXACTLY what would happen and neither one would ever win a race

RTKar
05-23-04, 02:29 PM
Ehh I dont think he has what it takes to challenge Schumi, I think JV would pimp slap them both in the right car, especially Montoya...

Ha ha ...I'm a JV fan too. He should have never listened to the ski instructor. What happened to him in the Honda, I see as an anomaly to his talent as a driver. The car was a pig. All that I'd possibly crucify him for is not being able to help them develop it, but how much they listened to him, I don't know. I feel cheated as a fan to have not seen JV challenge Schumi in a competitive car. JV can flat out drive, I don't care what anyone say's.I see his character and JPM's as being pretty similar, they don't take any crap.

gjc2
05-23-04, 03:14 PM
I don't know why he signed the contract so far in advance. It's not like his services wouldn't be in high demand. He made his own bed.

I believe there was some tension between Juan and Patrick Head, rather than work it out, he made a terrible decision. He services would have been in high demand.

George

Dr. Corkski
05-23-04, 08:30 PM
What happened between Frank Williams and Juan Pablo Montoya? :confused:Puffy basically PMSed on Sir Frank and signed with McLaren because the team refused to hand the French GP to him on a platter last year. Well, that and Uncle Ron was offering cash that he usually reserved for young Finnish boys.

Maybe Puffy may have finally come to the realization that even if McLaren get their act together Kimi will be laying the smackdown on him anyway. I have my doubts about this rumor though, as with the Villeneuve I will believe it when it actually happens.

JT265
05-24-04, 09:20 AM
Puffy basically PMSed on Sir Frank and signed with McLaren because the team refused to hand the French GP to him on a platter last year. Well, that and Uncle Ron was offering cash that he usually reserved for young Finnish boys.

Maybe Puffy may have finally come to the realization that even if McLaren get their act together Kimi will be laying the smackdown on him anyway. I have my doubts about this rumor though, as with the Villeneuve I will believe it when it actually happens.

I know there is a surprise buried in here somewhere, I'm just having trouble finding it is all.

Ankf00
05-24-04, 12:49 PM
Puffy basically PMSed on Sir Frank and signed with McLaren because the team refused to hand the French GP to him on a platter last year. Well, that and Uncle Ron was offering cash that he usually reserved for young Finnish boys.

wait, i thought your tagline was that ralf was soooo much better :confused:

oddlycalm
05-24-04, 12:57 PM
Not a surprising rumor considering how badly McLaren have stuffed it this year. Now that McLaren has the "Most Expensive F1 Team Headquarters Building" competition in hand, perhaps they will be able to get back to business, however there is no guarantee that will happen or that Ilmor will be able to rise to the occasion. Teams rise and teams fall, and I'm sure McLaren will get a chassis right someday, but my feeling is that Ilmor may be on the rocks for good.

JP would be wise to reconsider his options if he has any, however the odd nature of the pre-signing suggests he may not.

oc