PDA

View Full Version : A "Respectable Speed"?

DaveL
05-23-04, 09:22 AM
So this is what Indy has come to.

http://www.indystar.com/articles/9/148800-3949-037.html

I'm basically speechless.

The IRL-Saving Indy since 1994

cart7
05-23-04, 09:32 AM
So just poke the car around the 4 corners and you're in huh? :shakehead Good grief.

No wonder the catergate was such a big deal. Poor Jacques, couldn't get a piece of IMS fowl down.

Also, Jaques Lazier was taken to Methodist Hospital with a piece of chicken stuck in his throat. He was released shortly thereafter and returned to the track.

:eek:

DaveL
05-23-04, 10:00 AM
And in other news, now they are thinking about shortening the month (http://www.indystar.com/articles/5/148855-8005-037.html).

When CART team owners mentioned it, but never demanded it, it was the highest form of heracy and enough of a perceived threat that Tony had to save the race from the Barbarian horde who had no regard for Indy traditions.

Now it's just one of Tony's better ideas to save Indy.

The sh! t just never stops coming out of that place anymore.

And getting back to qualifying, I'll repeat a quote from John Mahler from 1971. "I'm gonna put this thing in the show or they're gonna carry me out of here in a box".

No John, just four laps at a respectable speed will do.

Oh wait, that was before Tony fixed things. My bad.

Rogue Leader
05-23-04, 10:18 AM
"I'm not too concerned," said Larry Foyt, a first-timer here. "Did I say that with enough reservation?"

even larry foyt realizes what a joke this is!

Badger
05-23-04, 10:59 AM
And in other news, now they are thinking about shortening the month (http://www.indystar.com/articles/5/148855-8005-037.html).

When CART team owners mentioned it, but never demanded it, it was the highest form of heracy and enough of a perceived threat that Tony had to save the race from the Barbarian horde who had no regard for Indy traditions.

Now it's just one of Tony's better ideas to save Indy.

Can't wait to see the ass kissing Tony fans try to explain why the shortened month is now a good idea. I am sure it won't be much different than the flipflop on engine leases.

For instance now T13 is explaining engine leases can actually save teams money because the teams don't get stuck with quickly obsoleted equipment?

Amazing what sort in insight you can gather when the head is pulled out of Tony's ass.

Railbird
05-23-04, 11:18 AM
Like watching an old friend die...

Insomniac
05-23-04, 11:20 AM
even larry foyt realizes what a joke this is!

Now that is too funny!

DaveL
05-23-04, 11:27 AM
Like watching an old friend die...

Yep, a very slow gradual one at that.

Nice to see the Lemmings repeating the myth that CART wanted a 3-day weekend, something that has never been supported by any tangible evidence.

sundaydriver2
05-23-04, 11:31 AM
The thing I find amazing is that nobody in the mainsteam press wants to write about this whole debacle. :confused:

The hypocracy of all this is staggering. :shakehead

Al Czervik
05-23-04, 11:33 AM
The thing I find amazing is that nobody in the mainsteam press wants to write about this whole debacle. :confused:

They don't write about it because nobody cares. Sad

meadors
05-23-04, 11:43 AM
"The good thing about the Speedway is that it has so much tradition," IMS president Tony George said. "The bad thing about it is that it has so much tradition."

Translation: "I don't know"

Ziggy
05-23-04, 01:19 PM
I just read the "three day deal" and I think what was discussed back in 1994-95 was cutting it down to one week. There was never a formal proposal, just speculation amoung car owners and a few journalist.

Now that Roger mentions it, it seems like a God, er, good idea...........

The 500 is truly dead. The clueless Hoosier and a small amount of new fans do not know any better. The diehard Koolaid chuggers are going to spin this till they die. The funny thing is, there are only about five thousand of them total.

I dont think anything can ever save the Indy 500.

Game, Set, Match

Tony wins the ultimate prize, no one in the stands

Ziggy

RTKar
05-23-04, 01:25 PM

I said the same thing in another thread. I guess we'll have to wait until there are more empty seats than people in the stands at 16th and Georgetown before the mainstream media realizes they've been duped.

RaceChic
05-23-04, 01:35 PM
Spin... Spin.... Spin.... :rolleyes:

< YAWN >

Ziggy
05-23-04, 01:39 PM
and here in lies the problem

mainstream..... to me it means people who cant think for themselves

which is the IRL target audience

Dont hold your breath waiting for some "journalist" to come up with the truth

Read Nuvo

Ziggy

Chitowncartfreak
05-23-04, 01:42 PM
And getting back to qualifying, I'll repeat a quote from John Mahler from 1971. "I'm gonna put this thing in the show or they're gonna carry me out of here in a box".

Is this the same race that guys like Rahal, Johansson, Unser Jr., and Fittipaldi hung it all out on the line and did everything possible to get in only 10 short years ago? This is just sickening. Regardless of what happens in the future, I'm never setting foot in the speedway again - I'm only going to cherish the storied history of the 500 that died after 1995.

4wheeldrifter
05-23-04, 02:01 PM
"and Robby McGehee (175.934)."

He||, M Schumacher should have given his butler the day off and the keys to his 575. He could put it in the field on M&S rated tires.

As usual, since 1996, pathetic.

Rogue Leader
05-23-04, 02:15 PM
"and Robby McGehee (175.934)."

He||, M Schumacher should have given his butler the day off and the keys to his 575. He could put it in the field on M&S rated tires.

As usual, since 1996, pathetic.

That is absolutely horrible.... I ran a Formula Dodge with a 4 cylinder 150 HP neon motor only 25 mph slower than that on the backstretch and turns at Daytona... running on the 24 hour course!! I think I saw Lance Armstrong pass him on his bicycle!

DaveL
05-23-04, 08:02 PM
Now that Fill Day is over I'm emotionally spent over the excitement of the drama of the...uh excitement...and uh....the drama....and....someone PLEASE help me out with this one.

I don't know McGehee was so worried about. Either he is a great actor or a total idiot to know that there would be no bumping. They weren't going to make PDM go through all that just so they could go home.

I can hear Sid Collins now, "Stay tuned for the biggest debacle in auto racing: Fill Day from the Indianapolis Motor Speedway!"

Insomniac
05-23-04, 08:22 PM
I like how they have to add motion blur to their photos:

http://www.indyracing.com/indycar/news/2004/indy/images/gray-cvr-05232004.jpg

ferrarigod
05-23-04, 09:33 PM
I like how they have to add motion blur to their photos:

http://www.indyracing.com/indycar/news/2004/indy/images/gray-cvr-05232004.jpg

Blur the ugly cars, and stretch the ugly dairy queen. EARL = all that i loathe

http://www.sarahfisher.com/newsite04.htm

Madmaxfan2
05-23-04, 10:32 PM
I scaned the Road & track article on TG. I came away that TG is truely clueless. He truely is lost, in over his head, and cannot decide what he stands for. It originally was corn bred USAC racing with Indy at the top, like the old days. But he should have researched that end of the sport himself, he so would have known that was not a growth segment of the sport. USAC lost the leadership of sprint car racing to WoO, that should have been a HUGH red flag there. Now he is trying to reconstruct CART with more emphasis on ovals, and hoping to keep the original IRL USAC based fans. PLus add a few road races to molify the new "recruited" ex CART drivers and owners, yet the IRL spec. cars will truely be slow because they have been dumbed down for the NASCAR cookie cutter ovals. My basic conclusion TG has demonstrated he cannot run anything. He cannot be trusted with any legacy. He cannot stick with one direction and cannot due any research on what the proper position should be for success. I guess the INDY 500 will die, but the whole sport of top level formula car racing in North America cannot go with it down the tubes. Whether the creation of the IRL was a power driven movitive or not, the outcome of this has not been good. That is what counts now.

Ziggy
05-23-04, 11:04 PM
Hey, finally saw the light eh? Most on this board have been saying the same thing for the past nine years

here is one thing Tony could have done to save HIS series

Intergrate the Silver Crown points with the IRL. Then add five or six dirt miles (one half mile) to the IRL championship points. This would have ensured guys like Boat and Beechler a full time IndyCar ride

Why????

Cause both are better racecar drivers than Robbie MaGeeHeeHee and Larry Foit ever dreamed about being. There are others as well

thats the truth

Ziggy

JT265
05-23-04, 11:10 PM
So just poke the car around the 4 corners and you're in huh? :shakehead Good grief.

No wonder the catergate was such a big deal. Poor Jacques, couldn't get a piece of IMS fowl down.

Also, Jaques Lazier was taken to Methodist Hospital with a piece of chicken stuck in his throat. He was released shortly thereafter and returned to the track.

:eek:

Yet again C7, more spin outta IMS. In short, that was no chicken, but being a family type forum, we mustn't speculate as to what was really caught in SloBud Jr. throat.

Wanna step up and tell us Mumbles?

:D

cart7
05-24-04, 06:25 AM
I scaned the Road & track article on TG. I came away that TG is truely clueless. He truely is lost, in over his head, and cannot decide what he stands for. It originally was corn bred USAC racing with Indy at the top, like the old days. But he should have researched that end of the sport himself, he so would have known that was not a growth segment of the sport. USAC lost the leadership of sprint car racing to WoO, that should have been a HUGH red flag there. Now he is trying to reconstruct CART with more emphasis on ovals, and hoping to keep the original IRL USAC based fans. PLus add a few road races to molify the new "recruited" ex CART drivers and owners, yet the IRL spec. cars will truely be slow because they have been dumbed down for the NASCAR cookie cutter ovals. My basic conclusion TG has demonstrated he cannot run anything. He cannot be trusted with any legacy. He cannot stick with one direction and cannot due any research on what the proper position should be for success. I guess the INDY 500 will die, but the whole sport of top level formula car racing in North America cannot go with it down the tubes. Whether the creation of the IRL was a power driven movitive or not, the outcome of this has not been good. That is what counts now.

Is it any wonder why, back in 1991, the Cart BoD told Tony to take a hike. I believe I recall some said his presentation lacked professionalism and was missing realistic revenue figures. The whole thing was turn OW racing over to Tony so he could be King. :rolleyes:

Madmaxfan2
05-24-04, 09:12 AM
Hey, finally saw the light eh? Most on this board have been saying the same thing for the past nine years

here is one thing Tony could have done to save HIS series

Intergrate the Silver Crown points with the IRL. Then add five or six dirt miles (one half mile) to the IRL championship points. This would have ensured guys like Boat and Beechler a full time IndyCar ride

Why????

Cause both are better racecar drivers than Robbie MaGeeHeeHee and Larry Foit ever dreamed about being. There are others as well

thats the truth

Ziggy

Actually, I saw the light some time ago. The only new thing I learned in that article is the guy is truely brain dead. I am quite amazed he actually followed through on forming the IRL. I thought he deviously planned the IRL for the sole purpose of taking out CART, but if he really thought that the IRL and CART could co-exist together, is there a living brain cell in the guy?

Spicoli
05-24-04, 09:38 AM
Can it all get any uglier?

Madmaxfan2
05-24-04, 09:42 AM
Can it all get any uglier?

Don't ask that question. The affirmative answer just might happen. Like Sarah Fisher in a two piece bathing suit. :eek:

Insomniac
05-24-04, 10:11 AM
Don't ask that question. The affirmative answer just might happen. Like Sarah Fisher in a two piece bathing suit. :eek:

Did you have to make people think of that on a Monday morning? As a favor to my fellow ChampCar fans:

http://www.fhmus.com/images/girls/danicapatrick/2big.jpg

CANADIAN HOTSPUR
05-24-04, 11:33 AM
That is wrong on so many levels..Perish that thought!!

Madmaxfan2
05-24-04, 11:38 AM
Chill out, folks. But honestly, just when you think the Indy 500 and the IRL hit rock bottom, TG brings it to a new low. Nothing suprises me anymore.

pineapple
05-24-04, 12:59 PM
There's nothing respectable about having the best open wheel shoes racing elsewhere, or walking the pit lanes with helmets in hand hoping that talent will get them a seat for once. What does it take for a guy to get on Honda's or Toyota's approved drivers list; money shouldn't be an object since the ride is being paid for anyway.

Robin needs to put that grid up, all 33 1/3 of them, and then go mano-a-mano with a list of the 33 guys who could run more than "respectable speeds".

Simmons has a seat when Memo Gidley walked pit lane all week? Oh right, Memo didn't bring the right currency to run, did he? He didn't bring some yen and a paid-for IPS team for Mo Nunn's wife to manage, I forgot about that. :saywhat:

indyfan31
05-24-04, 01:16 PM
So this is what Indy has come to.

http://www.indystar.com/articles/9/148800-3949-037.html

I'm basically speechless.

The IRL-Saving Indy since 1994

Slow news day in Indy...

Andrew Longman
05-24-04, 01:58 PM

Indianapolis Mayor Bart Peterson said the length of the schedule doesn't matter to the city.

"I think we have to trust the judgment of Tony and Mari on those types of things," he said. "This is a show that their family has put on successfully for six decades. They know what they're doing.

"The financial impact of the race is not impaired by the length of the schedule. It's obviously never going to turn into a three-day weekend. It's still going to be a major, several-week event in Indianapolis."

Huh?

Madmaxfan2
05-24-04, 02:12 PM
Indianapolis Mayor Bart Peterson said the length of the schedule doesn't matter to the city.

"I think we have to trust the judgment of Tony and Mari on those types of things," he said. "This is a show that their family has put on successfully for six decades. They know what they're doing.

"The financial impact of the race is not impaired by the length of the schedule. It's obviously never going to turn into a three-day weekend. It's still going to be a major, several-week event in Indianapolis."

Huh?
Time for the good citizens of Indianapolis to vote this clown out of office.

oddlycalm
05-24-04, 02:14 PM
The sh! t just never stops coming out of that place anymore.

Always a logistical issue when a sphincter is in charge. :D

BTW, for those of you who don't know, one of the reasons we have not heard the major outcry from the local business community we might have anywhere else is because Indianapolis has done the one of the best jobs of any city in the US in marketing itself for all manner of events. You name it, from small trade group meetings to church groups, big sporting events and scout jamborees, the place is booked solid 51 weeks a year. I've had to pull some serious strings on many occasions just to get a room on a weeks notice, and it doesn't matter what time of year it is. Even the weekends are booked.

There is no doubt that some of the little guys have suffered with the decline of the 500 during May, but as a whole the city has just gone ahead and booked other events, so the major hotels, restaurants and car rental agencies probably don't even notice the difference.

oc

Madmaxfan2
05-24-04, 02:25 PM
Always a logistical issue when a sphincter is in charge. :D

BTW, for those of you who don't know, one of the reasons we have not heard the major outcry from the local business community we might have anywhere else is because Indianapolis has done the one of the best jobs of any city in the US in marketing itself for all manner of events. You name it, from small trade group meetings to church groups, big sporting events and scout jamborees, the place is booked solid 51 weeks a year. I've had to pull some serious strings on many occasions just to get a room on a weeks notice, and it doesn't matter what time of year it is. Even the weekends are booked.

There is no doubt that some of the little guys have suffered with the decline of the 500 during May, but as a whole the city has just gone ahead and booked other events, so the major hotels, restaurants and car rental agencies probably don't even notice the difference.

oc
So what you are saying is that Indy is independently wealthy, and does not need the speedway anymore to draw attention to the city. That is good for the city, but I wonder if the folks at 16th and Georgetown has realized that fact. If so, why then does the local leaders realize the idiot in charge needs to be removed? It might be messy at first, but the overall sport would appreciate the leadership. Or maybe the local leadership really doesn't care.
Just let the idiot continue to operate because that event is not needed anymore. That will work to the detriment of the future of the Indy 500.