PDA

View Full Version : Good Karma (MP3 players)

nrc
05-23-04, 01:32 AM
RaceGrrl and I took a trip out to Vegas last week. She suggested that we pick up an MP3 player to provide some tunage for the four hour flight. After some consideration I picked up a Rio Karma.

http://www.riovolution.com/images/devices/gallery/empeg-01.jpg

It was the Ogg Vorbis and Linux support as well as ethernet and audio out on the sync cradle that swayed me. By running an ethernet cable over to the entertainment center the Karma will work nicely as both a portable and home player. Battery life and sound quality are also outstanding.

The only downside seems to be some complaints that the hard drive is prone to die. I think I'll be getting an extended warranty just to be on the safe side.

racer2c
05-23-04, 09:49 AM
What's the price compared to an iPod? What's the storage size? By chance, do you know if any of the current crop of players support wireless?

nrc
05-23-04, 10:24 PM
What's the price compared to an iPod? What's the storage size? By chance, do you know if any of the current crop of players support wireless?

You get 20GB of storage for $250-$299 depending on where you get it. The 20GB IPod generally goes for $395. The size is smaller in height than the IPod, but thicker and slightly wider.

What kind of wireless support are you looking for? Wireless syncing? I've heard iRiver has one on the way but I don't see much benefit. You've got to plug it in somewhere to charge it anyway so the cradle with ethernet, USB2, audio out and power is a good solution for me.

There are a couple of wireless players you can put in your entertainment center for playing MP3s from your PC if you're not looking for a portable.