PDA

View Full Version : Michael tried to kill CART

nrc
02-05-03, 02:47 PM
According to a quote from Jim McGee, one of the most respected men in open wheel racing, in this story (http://www.cart.com/News/Article.asp?ID=5445) on CART.com.

Jim McGee, CART's most experienced and successful team manager/crew chief, holds the same view. "It's just so sad that Chip and Michael didn't stand behind the series," McGee observes. "Michael in particular did everything he could to kill CART. He actually said to me that's what had to happen."

So while Michael's public position was that he was trying to stay in CART and simply couldn't make it happen because of his "sponsors," behind the scenes he has been saying that CART needs to die and was working toward that end.

rabbit
02-05-03, 02:50 PM
As a recovering former Michael Andretti fan (I'm in a 12-step program) let me be the first to say, "What a jerk!"

Napoleon
02-05-03, 03:09 PM
"Jim McGee, CART's most experienced and successful team manager/crew chief, holds the same view. "It's just so sad that Chip and Michael didn't stand behind the series," McGee observes. "Michael in particular did everything he could to kill CART. He actually said to me that's what had to happen."

I am just glad Mikey took the high road and has not bashed C^RT.

:rolleyes:

pchall
02-05-03, 03:19 PM
Spook?

Oh, Spookie? .... any comments?

cart7
02-05-03, 03:21 PM
I'm with you rabbit.:shakehead

DaveL
02-05-03, 05:12 PM
Michael who?

Don Quixote
02-05-03, 05:15 PM
Originally posted by DaveL
Michael who?

You know, Mr. personality, the guy that's always smiling.

RaceGrrl
02-05-03, 05:16 PM
It's interesting that CART.com seems to be playing hardball now. Glad to see it.

mnkywrch
02-05-03, 05:18 PM
Michael and about 20 others...

rabbit
02-05-03, 05:26 PM
Originally posted by mnkywrch
Michael and about 20 others...
But Michael was the ringleader. Face it, Kenny Brack, Tony Kanaan, Dario Franchitti, Helio Castroneves, etc. did not have the power to kill C^RT by themselves or even collectively. Michael Andretti did. Had it not been for Chris Pook, he probably would have succeeded.

mnkywrch
02-05-03, 05:33 PM
Originally posted by rabbit
But Michael was the ringleader. Face it, Kenny Brack, Tony Kanaan, Dario Franchitti, Helio Castroneves, etc. did not have the power to kill C^RT by themselves or even collectively. Michael Andretti did. Had it not been for Chris Pook, he probably would have succeeded.

There wouldn't have been a CART to kill if not for the greed & incompetence of the CART owners... from guys who left like Penske & Ganassi to guys who are still "loyal" to CART like Walker, Rahal, Patrick, and Haas.

Heck, Patrick's even admitted as much.

They did more to kill CART than Michael could have ever done.

But to claim MA was the "ringleader"... :shakehead

Warlock!
02-05-03, 05:49 PM
Of the drivers, he sure as hell was. The spoiled little f*** wanted to take his ball and go to a different playground, and pretty much told the rest of the kids to follow or they couldn't play. Maybe ringleader is the wrong word, because that would mean he had some degree of competence as opposed to hoping people would follow because of his dad's name.

Winter Warlock!

Turn7
02-05-03, 06:06 PM
Spook hasn't been around since she promised big surprises on the AGR sponsor thread.

Nothing note worth except for several associate sponsors and one primary for a partial year.

Napoleon
02-05-03, 06:12 PM
Originally posted by Turn7
Spook hasn't been around since she promised big surprises on the AGR sponsor thread.

Actually she did show up in a few thread especially the one which I started on Mikey on the Jim Rome show where she claimed he wasn't bashing C^RT on Rome even though I typed out quotes from Mikey like " . . Dad isn't a fan of C^RT, just a fan of road racing."

I think she is going to have a to have an even harder time spinning this one

Lizzerd
02-05-03, 06:45 PM
Na na naa na, na na naa na, hey, hey, GOOD BYE!

rabbit
02-05-03, 06:55 PM
As Warlock! said, as far as drivers go, Mikey was the "ringleader." He was the one that talked Kanaan and Franchitti into leaving. Because of his name, reporters flock to him for a quote to get the pulse of the sport. He tried to use that to his advantage. Fortunately for us, he did a piss-poor job at it.

pchall
02-05-03, 07:08 PM
What Lizzerd sang.

cart7
02-05-03, 07:09 PM
Oh, but I'm sure come May, he'll get the call as a sign of appreciation for his attempts.:shakehead

RTKar
02-05-03, 07:10 PM
Does anyone have Tony Soprano's number?

turn1
02-05-03, 07:15 PM
I almost spit at my radio listening to the spew coming out of MAs mouth. Give me a damn break! I just wish Rome had more knowledge so he could have asked some hard questions like:

1) Arent you really just an average driver living off of your dad's legacy?

2) Cummon now, Mikey, you are not chasing an Indy victory are you? Isn't it the almighty Japenesa Yen, errr, Honda dollar?

3) Isn't it true that you are leaving because suddenly your wife isn't the hottest piece on pit row?

4) Did TG offer to bankroll your retirement after spending it on new cans?

Hurling Frootmig
02-05-03, 07:28 PM
Michael is all about Michael and the more I see quotes from him the more it's proven. I've also had the interesting experience of having a couple of conversations with him. Not exactly a MENSA man. My personal experience also left me with the feeling that his ego is quite large.

RacinM3
02-05-03, 11:36 PM
AMF!!!

racer2c
02-06-03, 11:01 AM
I'm still having a hard time working out the relationship between Mario and Michael. Are they butting heads behind the scenes on the 'series' issue, or is Mario going to be 'revealed' himself.

sundaydriver
02-06-03, 12:55 PM
Michael Andretti can rot in IRHell. What an ass wipe! Kim Green is an ass wipe too. The more time that goes by, the more CCWS fans will hear what traitors these guys really are. Sad. :shakehead

Ed_Severson
02-06-03, 01:01 PM
"I'm still having a hard time working out the relationship between Mario and Michael. Are they butting heads behind the scenes on the 'series' issue, or is Mario going to be 'revealed' himself."

I wish I could remember the approximate time frame, or had a copy of the article in front of me, but ...

At some point during the off-season, the Indy Star ran a piece on CART that was primarily about Mario Andretti. What I recall him saying was that he was very proud of his son and wished him well in his role as team owner. But when Mario was asked the pointed question "does his decision to move to the IRL bother you?" his reponse (and this is the only part of the article I remember clearly) was "you're damn right it does."

I wouldn't worry about Mario. He's with us, for certain.

chop456
02-06-03, 01:06 PM
None of it surprises me.

A guy with diminished skills accepts a pile of money to soften the landing in retirement. His on-track accomplishments over, he looks to ownership for a little respect. Unfortunately, the only people who seem to respect him now are those who professed their white-hot hatred for him before. It's a dissapointment, and he's a weasel.

As for Kim Green, I'd be bitter too if my parents gave me a girl's name.

lone_groover
02-06-03, 04:43 PM
Originally posted by chop456
As for Kim Green, I'd be bitter too if my parents gave me a girl's name.

:cry: WOW, that is aweful harsh! :D :thumbup: :cry:

fourrunner
02-06-03, 08:04 PM

Mikes a Great Driver, but Ringleader? Trust me he isn't that smart. Definitely following a leader, probably Penske, whose original quotes Mike seems to parrot incessantly. Even after Penske alters his! :)