PDA

View Full Version : I'm allowed a motorcycle...

Warlock!
05-21-04, 08:47 AM
I've had minibikes/motorcycles/dirtbikes my whole life... until I started having kids. I sold my last dirt bike (a Honda CR 250R) about 7 years ago. I sold my street bike (Honda Shadow) about 5 years ago. I really didn't miss 'em all that much considering kiddies tend to take a bit of time out of your recreational schedule.

Suddenly, like 2 months ago, I begin to get the itch. The youngest kid will be 5 in June, so the guidance required to raise them is more verbal than physical... meaning I can bolt from the house any eve for an hour or two and my wife is not overcome by our children. Sounds like it's time for a bike again! Hell, I can even take one of 'em with me for a ride around the countryside...

Anyways, I saw the Honda VTX 1800c in person and I got a "special" feeling in my pants. I started researching it a bit and could only find glowing reviews... it seems it's only drawback is that the stock pipes aren't loud enuf. No problem... as abrasive a guy I may be in real life, I'd much rather have a bike that's kinda quiet and peaceful.

I tell the wife that my motorcycle itch is now a full-fledged rash. She basically says, "You're not gettin' any younger, so you might as well." Not really a feel-good response, but the correct response nonetheless. Nice!

Has anyone seen, heard, or read any disheartening remarks about this bike? I realize this is prolly more of a sportbike crowd, but a guy my size is better suited to a big cruiser. Any input would be helpful...

http://www.hondaeasttoledo.com/images/NewVehicles/2004_1_vtx1800c.jpg

http://www.larrysplace.com/vtx1800/vtx1800-01.jpg

Warlock!

racer2c
05-21-04, 10:11 AM
A co-worker has one. It seems well put together (whatever that means). I little on the bloated side IMO.
My best friend bought a '03 Yamaha Road Star Silverado. It's nice, but in a more traditional sense. Same with the Suzuki Intruder which I have. The Intruder has a shaft drive and is water cooled and dual Mikuni's.
the Suzuki Marauder and the Road Star Warrior are more along the lines of the Honda you are looking into if you want to compare.

RichK
05-21-04, 01:41 PM
One of my MSF instructors rode his to my class early this year. He had nothing but good things to say about it. I love the way it looks, for sure!

Joe in LA
05-21-04, 01:47 PM
Nice bike, but VERY big and heavy. It was uncomfortable for me--riding positon was too stretched out. If you fit, its great.

If you have a nearby dealer, take a look at a Victory Vegas--very nice bike, and --unlike the other non-Harley American bikes-- the Company is solid.

racer2c
05-21-04, 02:24 PM
Nice bike, but VERY big and heavy. It was uncomfortable for me--riding positon was too stretched out. If you fit, its great.

If you have a nearby dealer, take a look at a Victory Vegas--very nice bike, and --unlike the other non-Harley American bikes-- the Company is solid.

I like the Vegas. Pricey, but nice looking. Be ready for jet ski engine jokes.

nrc
05-21-04, 02:31 PM
With that pipe you'll be the envy of ricers everywhere. :)

pinniped
05-21-04, 02:56 PM
Anyways, I saw the Honda VTX 1800c in person and I got a "special" feeling in my pants. Warlock!

That must be one REAL nice motorcycle!

Was it wearing a bikini?

(corny, yes, but it takes my mind off my incompetent secretary, so I had to do it!) :gomer:

racer2c
05-21-04, 02:59 PM
That must be one REAL nice motorcycle!

Was it wearing a bikini?

(corny, yes, but it takes my mind off my incompetent secretary, so I had to do it!) :gomer:

Is she wearing a bikini? :)

rocket
05-21-04, 03:58 PM
but....does it have a cupholder for your beer? :D

Tall1
05-21-04, 04:43 PM
You have a rational wife! The only circumstance my wife would consent to me having another bike would be ...."if it has training wheels." Strike while the iron is hot! (Before she changes her mind, as women tend to do)

anait
05-21-04, 04:49 PM
You have a rational wife! The only circumstance my wife would consent to me having another bike would be ...."if it has training wheels." Strike while the iron is hot! (Before she changes her mind, as women tend to do)

Hey!! I resemble that last remark!! :p

My software developer husband would luuuuuuv a motorcycle. He had one (or borrowed one, can't remember) when he was a Customs inspector. Loved it. He's after me to consider travelling the continent together on one when the kids are grown. I've been on a couple, and loved it. I'm just not sure where I'd pack all my stuff... :rofl:

He's bigger than you, 'lock, so the one you're after might be a good fit for him, too.