PDA

View Full Version : Going back to school...at age 39...Challenge!!!!

ANAYA YATES
05-20-04, 09:25 PM
Just thought I might get some support and encouragement from all my racing buddies ;)

I am going back to school starting next week. My dream/goal is to get a degree. Personal circumstances previously put a damper on this.

I'm headed for a certification and AS degree in Network System Administration. Then I will further that with a BS in Computer Science

I work for a great company that pays for my education. One can be so lucky! Funny thing is...I applied at FAFSA....and they gave me a grant. I don't pay any enrollment fees. Ironic!! :rolleyes: Surprised me when I registered and they said I only owed $15. Guess it paid to have a 4.0 GPA when I did go to school. :D

Well anyway...here is my challenge.....

I am taking two classes this summer, Sociology and Anthropology...if you beat my grade, you get a $100 gift certificate to your college bookstore for next year or a $100 Cashiers Check. First email/fax grade I receive that beats mine, gets it. If we tie in grades...then it's a draw. Ask Wickerbill. I am good for it.

All you need to do is send/email/fax me your grades to me....I will reciprocate...no altering thru Photoshop :flame:

I am sending WB a PM to see if he might consider moderating my challenge. An unbiased outsider.

I have two teenage boys...they are on my challenge and HAVE to attend summer school. If you saw their grades...nothing to worry about.

So who's in?

ANAYA YATES

Ankf00
05-20-04, 09:38 PM
g'luck with that, keep leaching the 4.0 / 3.5+ and keep leaching the fed funds, it's for folks who know how to earn it. w00t.

Robstar
05-20-04, 09:39 PM
Not sure if I'm up for your challenge but...

DAYUM !! :thumbup:
Respect :cool: I so need to do that too (I'm in my previous circustansey damper thang)

Much good luck to you - don't reckon you'll need it though !!

:)

Dave99
05-20-04, 09:41 PM
I think I've earned a grade of A in Sociology having known you SoCal'ers for nearly four years.

With regards to Anthropology, I know all I need to know from the back of Van Hagar's OU812.

Pay up!

Seriously though Anaya, rots of ruck. Hope you'll be making more money with a degree, even if it's down the road.

You're 39?

ANAYA YATES
05-20-04, 09:45 PM
My fax# is: 949-639-1415

My email is: anaya.yates1@cox.net

If WB is too busy, do you mind if I ask Manic Mechanic? He's tough.

Remedial classes do not count or PE. :cry:

ManicMechanic is: benchracer@iname.com

BRING IT ON :rofl:

rabbit
05-20-04, 09:53 PM
Good for you Anaya! I just finished up my junior year at Ohio Northern University (I'm 30). After I get my degree (history major), I'm going to law school. It's tough with a real job and a wife and kid, but it will be worth it when I'm done. I'm taking the summer off right now because I'm starting to get a little burnt out. I need to catch my breath for the fall quarter.

Good luck and if you need any encouragement along the way, you know where to find me. :thumbup:

ANAYA YATES
05-20-04, 10:04 PM
....OH...did I fail to mention that I am a Full time employee...as well as a Full-time single mom of two gargatuan boys...and I work a side job on Saturdays?

ANAYA YATES

You teenagers out of high school have it real easy. This should not be a problem...compared to me :eek:

Sean O'Gorman
05-20-04, 10:15 PM
I'm still confused over how FAFSA gives everyone else money but passes me up every year. :saywhat:

If only this was two summers ago, I took a sociology class (Comparitive World Religions) two years ago and got an A on it. Any way that bet could be extended to Intro to Marketing? :D

ANAYA YATES
05-20-04, 10:21 PM
I'm still confused over how FAFSA gives everyone else money but passes me up every year. :saywhat:

If only this was two summers ago, I took a sociology class (Comparitive World Religions) two years ago and got an A on it. Any way that bet could be extended to Intro to Marketing? :D

I have NO IDEA how I qualified for the grant. I just did. My company would have paid it anyway. I am a very grateful person.

The bet could go to Fine Arts...as long as it is during the summer session :gomer:

ANAYA YATES

Robstar
05-20-04, 10:24 PM

It's cause this ain't about you :p

Jokes ;)

I'll never understand the logic behind funded/unfunded/pay per/grant/whatever how governments work out the tertiary education system...

Sorry WB is that politics ? ;)

anait
05-20-04, 10:30 PM
Anaya, that's fantastic!!! Good for you. :thumbup: I have a very supportive hubby, I cannot imagine the inner strength you've got to do this on your own!! Wow!!! :) I'll be rooting for you all summer.

I might do the same, when my youngest is older - four kids have kept me busy for 12 yrs so far, although I did take one 6 credit class when the oldest was 3 (she came to class with me).

ANAYA YATES
05-20-04, 10:35 PM
SEAN: That is absolutlely wonderful you got a "A" in World Religions". That is PHIL 10. Philosophy. Whoo HOO! I would have NEVER chosen that as a Gen Ed course. I read The Da Vinci Code!
;)

My hat is of to you,
ANAY YATES

ANAYA YATES
05-20-04, 10:50 PM
Non politics Robstar...that's why he has not intervened.

The Federal Application I applied for is "standard". They, the Feds, review all the data....income, living status, employment, I'm just naming the essesntials, etc. They can x-ref the data I input to the IRS(Internal Revenue Service) and see if it is accurate....hence...I get a Grant.

Why Sean does not...I have no clue....SEAN...are your parents real rich?

ANAYA YATES

Robstar
05-20-04, 10:53 PM
Non politics Robstar...that's why he has not intervened.

The Federal Application I applied for is "standard". They, the Feds, review all the data....income, living status, employment, I'm just naming the essesntials, etc. They can x-ref the data I input to the IRS(Internal Revenue Service) and see if it is accurate....hence...I get a Grant.

ANAYA YATES

Well, I'm just glad it worked out well for you sista !

:)

ANAYA YATES
05-20-04, 11:09 PM
Anait: If you have "hubby" support....and you can still do MOM things...and have time fo your self.......GO FOR IT. No better time.

ANAYA YATES

Sean O'Gorman
05-20-04, 11:19 PM

I don't know what they make, but they say they don't have the money to help me through school, and apparently FAFSA has decided otherwise. I figure though, that once you turn 18 you should be on your own as far as paying for school so I wouldn't ask for their help anyway.

Its the damn increasing costs of college thats killing me anyway. When I graduated high school three years ago, it looked as if I was going to spend approx $950 a semester for two years at community college, and $1,700 a semester when I transferred to Cleveland State. The community college costs stayed about where I estimated, by CSU is now about $3,300 a semester for me, and it has been increasing by 9.9% a year (the maximum allowed by state law) so I should expect around $4,000 a semester by the time I graduate in Dec. 2005. Keep in mind also that I decided to stay at home and commute to school, so that doesn't include room and board. I think over 75% of my post-tax income goes to tuition, and that doesn't include parking, books, etc. :thumdown:

I guess I can't complain too much though, I did manage to go the whole year without getting anything below a B-, I don't think I've done that since 5th grade. :D

EDIT: Enough hi-jacking your thread for me, I'll stick to the subject. ;) Good luck, the first year should be pretty easy and by the third year you are so used to things that it all starts to click. Just don't act like half the people my age that only go to class once a week and then complain about how the teacher doesn't tell them anything. Unless its bowling. :laugh:

Robstar
05-21-04, 12:34 AM
Just don't act like half the people my age that only go to class once a week and then complain about how the teacher doesn't tell them anything. Unless its bowling. :laugh:

Somehow, I can't see that happening... ;)

(read: Anaya is keen as mustard)

RaceCat
05-21-04, 01:11 AM
Anaya, I soooo admire you! I know you can do it! I know you can! It will be hard, it will make you wonder if it's worth it sometimes, but when you are finished you will look back an have so much pride in yourself for having accomplished it. YOU GO GIRL!

:thumbup:

I'll take your challenge on any business classes, but that other stuff, I was lucky to get through when I took it the first time. :laugh:

Please don't try to take on too much though. Two classes sounds like alot for a full time Mom and full time worker! However, I know you are gonna kick butt, cause that's just the kinda girl you are.

Peg (aka Racecat)

cart7
05-21-04, 07:20 AM
:thumbup: Go Anaya!! I just finished my AAS in Microcomputers and Networking this month and I'm a ragged old 46 :eek: AND, I too was working 40 + hours a week so it can be done.

Graduated Magna *** Laude with a 3.84 GPA.

Take full advantage of FAFSA, I did till I no longer qualified.

I've got Phi Theta Kappa scholarships available to me for a BS at two local colleges but I'm not sure I've got it in me to go another 6 years at nite AND maintain the 3.2 GPA required to continue getting the free money.

Good luck!! :thumbup:

cart7
05-21-04, 07:21 AM
Hmmm.. I guess I should have replaced the *** with kum. :laugh: