PDA

View Full Version : I found this whilst surfing . . .

Wheel-Nut
05-20-04, 04:15 PM
Circa 1998 or so.

http://home.att.net/~g.m.miller/images/Best1998/Crunch.jpg

Railbird
05-20-04, 04:57 PM
my boy PT

JoeBob
05-20-04, 05:11 PM
That was taken in the paddock at Road America. Newman Haas made it.

Amanda B.'s Mom
05-20-04, 07:20 PM
And I took a photo as well. It is on my other computer right now.

Those were the days.......

Winston Wolfe
05-20-04, 07:40 PM
Those were, indeed, the days....

Remember when Paul Tracy and Robby Gordon and Dario came up with the Michael Andretti "Driving School for the Blind" t-shirts at LBGP, I think?

(OF course I may not have the names, dates, and race exact, but hopefully someone will remember this for me...)

Regardless, that was some funny stuff, when we had some good times !

Spicoli
05-20-04, 07:41 PM
Call out PT all you want, but he didn't sell out like all those other buttmunches. :shakehead

:notfunny:

Wheel-Nut
05-20-04, 07:47 PM
Call out PT all you want, but he didn't sell out like all those other buttmunches. :shakehead

:notfunny:

Easy Francis, no one is calling out PT, just taking a walk down memory lane. :shakehead

Chaos
05-20-04, 08:23 PM
some other moments of aggression:

Barry Green grabbing Tracy by the collar after Tracy's incident with Dario (dont remember when precisely, but i do remember Barry Green saying something to the effect of "you don't use your head")

Robby Gordon's dump on his engine. And his attempt to intentionally blow the thing up.

FCYTravis
05-20-04, 08:32 PM
Robby Gordon's dump on his engine. And his attempt to intentionally blow the thing up.
It wasn't an attempt. If I recall correctly, it was completely successful - at destroying the engine and his career with Walker.

As I remember it, from live ESPN coverage...

Robby on the radio, unaware he's broadcasting his words worldwide:
"I'm going to blow this goddamn piece of **** up right here."

A few quick downshifts later out of top gear, the engine blows up in front of God, ESPN's cameras and everyone.

Bob Varsha: "That crackling you hear is the sound of bridges being burned."

Wheel-Nut
05-20-04, 08:37 PM

Barry Green grabbing Tracy by the collar after Tracy's incident with Dario (dont remember when precisely, but i do remember Barry Green saying something to the effect of "you don't use your head")

Houston, also 1998. Dario went on to win the rain shortened race.

Chaos
05-20-04, 08:37 PM
was it a Ford or a Honda at the time?

Chaos
05-20-04, 08:38 PM
Houston, also 1998. Dario went on to win the rain shortened race.

is that the race when Paul bumped Dario from behind, and Paul's car when quasi-airborn?

Winston Wolfe
05-20-04, 08:39 PM

I think that was at "the Mile" back in '99, when Tracy and Dario were battling for a postition, and both TKG cars go careening into the wall after Paul tried to dive down inside of Dashley into T1 (I think)

Robby Gordon was also a classic, calling his engine a "pig" over the radio to Derrick Walker, then when he kept over-revving it, trying to blow it up, Derek's "calm, soothing" voice would come over the radio.... Robby then ended up doing something stupid (kicking, punching at, or making another derogatory gesture) to the "Blue Oval" on the engine cover.

FCYTravis
05-20-04, 08:39 PM
Ford. It was when Ford had an absolutely atrocious program, they hadn't kept up at all with the pace of engine development and the Cosworth was down a good 20+ hp to the other guys.

FCYTravis
05-20-04, 08:40 PM
Robby then ended up doing something stupid (kicking, punching at, or making another derogatory gesture) to the "Blue Oval" on the engine cover.
I forgot about that! Yep, after he blew the thing up and parked it, he climbed out of the car and kicked the Ford logo on live national TV.

The Ford brass weren't impressed.

RTKar
05-20-04, 08:45 PM
I think that was at "the Mile" back in '99, when Tracy and Dario were battling for a postition, and both TKG cars go careening into the wall after Paul tried to dive down inside of Dashley into T1 (I think)

Robby Gordon was also a classic, calling his engine a "pig" over the radio to Derrick Walker, then when he kept over-revving it, trying to blow it up, Derek's "calm, soothing" voice would come over the radio.... Robby then ended up doing something stupid (kicking, punching at, or making another derogatory gesture) to the "Blue Oval" on the engine cover.

At least he didn't pee on it like the kid in the little sticker....

Gangrel
05-20-04, 10:09 PM

Nope. Not at the Mile. I believe Wheel-Nut is correct that the Barry Green grabbing PT by the lapels incident occurred at Houston. I recall the incident you speak of at the Mile (I have been there every year since '97), but I clearly recall seeing this incident on TV while watching a race live.

B3RACER1a
05-20-04, 10:23 PM
They had a similar incident at Gateway in 98 or 99.

nrc
05-21-04, 12:31 AM
Ford. It was when Ford had an absolutely atrocious program, they hadn't kept up at all with the pace of engine development and the Cosworth was down a good 20+ hp to the other guys.

Actually the Cosworth XD made competitive power that year (Andretti finished second in the championship on Goodyears), it was all the "electrical problems" that upset some of the Ford drivers. Of course, Gordon's problem was simply that he's a rock head.