PDA

View Full Version : Bob Jenkins at Indy - !?

Shamus
05-17-04, 02:28 PM
Excerpt from someone at Indy this weekend from another forum discussing Indy pole-day attendance:

"Shoot, I cruised the pits and garages without even bumping shoulders. I see so much of Tony George that he's starting to recognize me.... Immediately beside me Bob Jenkins and Tony were in a conversation. I stood right next to Barnhardt and Cavin talking off-the-record about future venues..."

Ok, I admit I really don't care for Bob or his past remarks at all. Given his history covering the IRL, and his on-air personality (read:none) I was really ticked to find out he would be calling the races for Champcar this year.

That being said, why is the dingus at Indy chatting with TG?!? I'm not usually a Oliver Stonian sort of conspiracy theorist, but what the heck? I know that anyone is free to go, and heck Robin was there, but he has a writing gig...

Spicoli
05-17-04, 02:34 PM
Yep. He was there in all his Gomerness. He was all wound up and souynded about 100 times more enthusiastic than he did calling LBGP.

******* needs to never set foot in a ChampCar event again - EVER.

FBJ.

racer2c
05-17-04, 02:48 PM
Tony hooked him up.

oddlycalm
05-17-04, 02:57 PM
IMO Jenkins is the kind of mistake that OWRS needs to avoid making. On another thread there was mention made of the differences between the crowds for road racing, NASCAR and the IRL, and those differences are real. Bob Jenkins is simply a bad fit for Champ Car fans.

I suggest that we undertake a serious message campaign to alert OWRS to our concern and dislike. Suffering in silence isn't going to help them or us.

Perhaps someone would like to draft a letter and put up a signature page? Doing this would also put Jenkins on notice as well, so that there is no confusion on his part regarding where the fans stand both regarding his lack of preparation and his affiliation with the IMS.

oc

mueber
05-17-04, 03:02 PM
OK. You've convinced me. Jenkins has to go.

Spicoli
05-17-04, 03:22 PM
Where do I sign up?

pchall
05-17-04, 03:32 PM
Can Jenkins' @$$ now. He is part of the enemy and clearly not with us.

Shamus
05-17-04, 04:07 PM
Ok I'll jump on the bandwagon with this suggestion:

Whomever is the resident wordsmith in the house could draft a thoughtful and mature petition over at www.petitiononline.com requesting that Spike and OWRS act to remove this guy from the TV lineup, sighting loss of viewers due to his past remarks/actions, Kool-Aid intake, and his lack of preparedness at the last race.

Anybody who has verifiable memories of what he has said/done in the past that should remove him for consideration as a Champcar announcer could post the actions here (in this thread) for use in the petition.

Bluto:What?! Over? Did you say over? NOTHING is over until WE decide it is! Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? HELL, NO!

Otter: Germans?

Boon: Forget it, he's rolling.

Bluto: It ain't over now! For when the goin' gets tough,..............the tough get going! Who's with me!? LET'S GO! C'MON! OOOOOOOOOOOO!

Andrew Longman
05-17-04, 04:14 PM
Where do I sign up?

Can I vote twice?

cart7
05-17-04, 05:21 PM
Like I said in the last thread, his intentions are worn on his sleeve. He'll do more damage with an unenthused and uninvolved race call than anything TG could possibly do. Can His A** NOW!

Thanks for allowing me to release. :cool:

Spinout
05-17-04, 06:21 PM
I agree...Bob is an idiot and needs to go...and go fast.

Madmaxfan2
05-17-04, 06:29 PM
Bob was bound to drink the Kool-Aid, so it is not suprising to love the IRL, and He really shows his bias. Time for truely new talent on air.

Railbird
05-17-04, 07:13 PM
ya think he'll be doing the Monterrey "studio call" from the Pagoda this Sunday?

Ziggy
05-17-04, 07:40 PM
ALEX SPERIFICO IS ONLY 9 SECONDS OFF THE POLE SPEED!!! ITS HIS FASTEST LAP OF THE DAY!!!!!!

RUDOLFO IS COMING INTO THE PITS, HE IS COMING IN, HE'S ALMOST STOPPED, HE'S STOPPED, OH THE DRAMA, THE PRESSURE, THE HISTORY, THE TRADITION

Ziggy

sundaydriver2
05-17-04, 09:22 PM
Why the hell did OWRS sign this guy???

He should be nowhere NEAR a Champ Car race let alone be broadcasting one.

Get him out of there ASAP!!!!!

:mad:

dando
05-17-04, 09:35 PM
FWIW, I sent an message to the CCWS folks immediately after LBGP through the contact Champ Car page (http://www.cart.com/Contact.asp). One of the choices under Category is 'Domestic television'. I never heard back from them, but if enough of us e-mail them about the fraud Jenkins is, maybe they'll get the message. If he's anywhere near as bad as LB, the sound goes off.

This guy has got to go! :mad:

-Kevin

Phantom
05-17-04, 09:50 PM
OK, I'll take the challenge at wording the petition. Now, who's gonna post it?

----------

To whom it may concern at OWRS and Spike TV:

This petition is respectfully submitted to show the lack of support for Bob Jenkins as the on air commentator for Champ Car on Spike TV. We the undersigned are petitioning OWRS and Spike TV for the replacement of Bob Jenkins by a more knowledgeable, enthusiastic and supportive commentator.

The undersigned represent some of the most loyal fans of the series. This petition was distributed throughout Internet chat rooms where the petitioners spend their free moments to catch up and discuss the state of OWRS. In short, we swear our allegiance to the Champ Car Open Wheel Racing Series. We have followed the series through its greatest triumphs and its lowest moments. We are elated with the visionaries that now form the management team of OWRS who have sacrificed personal finances to grow the series, but are dismayed at the choice of Bob Jenkins as the "voice" of the rebirth of the Champ Car World Series.

Mr. Jenkins’ first broadcast at the Long Beach Grand Prix showed him to be ill prepared. He repeatedly mispronounced drivers’ names, proving that he made no effort ahead of time to familiarize himself with the participants. It was an affront to the knowledgeable fans.

Further, Mr. Jenkins has proven his loyalty to the Indy Racing League - a rival series, whose mere existence is aimed at the ruin and demise of OWRS.

There are a number of commentators available that would eagerly support the spirit of OWRS, and would have no hidden agenda to undermine the series as Mr. Jenkins has publicly done on-air in the past. We love the sport. We love the series. If it is to grow and prosper, we need support in the booth that feels the same way that we do and can convey that sentiment. Please, replace Bob Jenkins.

Sincerely,
The Fans of Champ Car Racing United

B3RACER1a
05-17-04, 11:34 PM
Very nice! :cool:

manic mechanic
05-17-04, 11:57 PM
OK, I'll take the challenge at wording the petition. Now, who's gonna post it?

----------

To whom it may concern at OWRS and Spike TV:

This petition is respectfully submitted to show the lack of support for Bob Jenkins as the on air commentator for Champ Car on Spike TV. We the undersigned are petitioning OWRS and Spike TV for the replacement of Bob Jenkins by a more knowledgeable, enthusiastic and supportive commentator.

The undersigned represent some of the most loyal fans of the series. This petition was distributed throughout Internet chat rooms where the petitioners spend their free moments to catch up and discuss the state of OWRS. In short, we swear our allegiance to the Champ Car Open Wheel Racing Series. We have followed the series through its greatest triumphs and its lowest moments. We are elated with the visionaries that now form the management team of OWRS who have sacrificed personal finances to grow the series, but are dismayed at the choice of Bob Jenkins as the "voice" of the rebirth of the Champ Car World Series.

Mr. Jenkins’ first broadcast at the Long Beach Grand Prix showed him to be ill prepared. He repeatedly mispronounced drivers’ names, proving that he made no effort ahead of time to familiarize himself with the participants. It was an affront to the knowledgeable fans.

Further, Mr. Jenkins has proven his loyalty to the Indy Racing League - a rival series, whose mere existence is aimed at the ruin and demise of OWRS.

There are a number of commentators available that would eagerly support the spirit of OWRS, and would have no hidden agenda to undermine the series as Mr. Jenkins has publicly done on-air in the past. We love the sport. We love the series. If it is to grow and prosper, we need support in the booth that feels the same way that we do and can convey that sentiment. Please, replace Bob Jenkins.

Sincerely,
The Fans of Champ Car Racing United

Nicely done, Phantom.

Once the internet petition sites are set up, use this link to keep the folks at SpikeTV updated.

http://www.spiketv.com/interact/feedback/feedback.jhtml

BTW, where are the petitions? I'll sign every one of them! :thumbup:

manic

Shamus
05-18-04, 01:38 AM
Ok, petition has been crafted and started. I also started a new petition thread - here's the link

http://www.petitiononline.com/NOIRLGUY/petition.html

4wheeldrifter
05-18-04, 08:45 AM
Like a fly to s***, he just can't stay away.

Off with his head! ;)