PDA

View Full Version : Indy threads 7 - Other racing - 1

RacinM3
05-17-04, 01:39 PM
As I check in today, there are 8 threads with new posts; 7 about Indy, 1 about another form of racing.

Although there wasn't much in the way of other racing this weekend, there was some WRC on. The winner (won't say who in case some didn't catch up on their TiVo'ing yet) won by just under 6 seconds! After a cumulative 4+ hours!

Still seems like Indycentricity still runs rampant, even here at OC. I don't click on the threads anymore - I'm seriously tired of the I500.

cart7
05-17-04, 01:50 PM
You just don't know what Indy means. :laugh:

Ankf00
05-17-04, 02:18 PM
actually, the winning margin was significantly greater, but who's counting other than me :)

GO SUBARU!

racer2c
05-17-04, 02:21 PM
IRL hatin' is quite entertaining. :)

Don Quixote
05-17-04, 02:21 PM
Its like a train wreck, you just can't look away.

Chaos
05-17-04, 02:33 PM
i'd talk about MotoGP, but I have lost SpeedTV, which was my only source for motorcycle racing....bummer

pchall
05-17-04, 02:44 PM
There is a certain fascination to a dead possum swelling up in the sun.

Mike Kellner
05-17-04, 02:57 PM
The Brown Shirts won't let me post on TrackForum, so I post my Indy bashing here, since I know they'll all read it.

mk

Imagine there's no Indy, it's easy if you try...

Spicoli
05-17-04, 03:30 PM
I have to live here and listen to what's left of it.

As a citizena nd taxpayer in Indy, I'm mad that this ****ing moron ruined what was once the crown jewel of my home town.

BTW - I wanna kick Dave Calabro in the hernia.

oddlycalm
05-17-04, 03:50 PM
It was MotoGP time around here this weekend. Pretty good race as well. MotoGP attendance is better than F1 at most venues, and that pretty much tells the whole story. This is probably the best racing on the planet at the present. The equipment hasn't been castrated; MotoGP bikes weigh around 400lbs but have the engine power of a WRC car. The racers are of very high caliber, with Rossi the equal of anyone who has ever ridden. There is passing for position all through the field, and often for the lead on the last lap. I can't think of any other racing today that even comes close to MotoGP as far as pure competition with uncompromising equipment.

oc

Madmaxfan2
05-17-04, 04:46 PM
Cause at one time Indy was of real interest to us. Then Tony fixed the sport. We just like to remind the world how effective is Tony's repair job on the sport.

Mike Kellner
05-17-04, 05:27 PM
My take on why motorcycle road racing is better than open wheel.

NO WINGS! NO GROUND EFFECTS!

This means you can follow close in turns, it increases time on straight sections, and increases braking time. In other words, it is still possible to pass*.

mk

*Pass: A manuver where one car exchanges position with another on the racetrack because of performance and/or driving skill differences. I realize young open wheel fans may never have actually seen this manuver, but trust me, it once was commonplace in top level open wheel racing.

oddlycalm
05-17-04, 06:05 PM

This means you can follow close in turns, it increases time on straight sections, and increases braking time. In other words, it is still possible to pass*.

While the narrow vehicle width also helps, with passing on motorcycles often occurring in the middle of a corner, I don't think there is any question about the effect the absence of aero devices has Mike. It simply would not be possible to have enough vehicle stability to bang fairings in the middle of a 170mph corner as we saw last weekend at LeMans, or follow nose to tail for lap after lap, if aero devices similar to formula cars were employed.

If you look at sectional times from the same tracks you would see exactly what you indicated; that while MotoGP bikes acceleration and braking rates are slower than a F1 car, the rather blunt profile limits their top speed to the 190-205 range, and the combination of lower mechanical grip and aero grip absolutely kills their cornering speeds compared to F1.

The other major contrast regards crashes. Since even a minor off in MotoGP results in a seriously sore rider, the expectations regarding injuries on the part of both the riders and the crowd is also quite different than any current form of auto racing. The uninitiated are often horrified that a downed rider will simply be tossed onto a stretcher by corner workers and packed off, with the race almost never being interrupted as a result. A brief local yellow for one lap is about all one sees after a wreck. There is no massive carbon fiber cleanup to accomplish, no major fluid dumps to contend with, and a bike that blows can be easily pushed out of the way by the rider and/or corner workers before the pack can come around again.

oc

FanofMario
05-17-04, 06:38 PM
" As a citizena nd taxpayer in Indy, I'm mad that this ****ing moron ruined what was once the crown jewel of my home town.

BTW - I wanna kick Dave Calabro in the hernia."

No doubt. Those of us locals who were weaned on open wheel at Indy can't but help slam FTG for taking a great tradition and pissing it away. FTG and all of his minions! :mad:

Amanda B.'s Mom
05-17-04, 07:10 PM
As a long time fan of another type of racing, I did my part in the "other" thread.

Peter Venkman
05-17-04, 07:53 PM
The Brown Shirts won't let me post on TrackForum, so I post my Indy bashing here, since I know they'll all read it.

mk

Imagine there's no Indy, it's easy if you try...

You just don't know what Indy means

You just know what don't Indy means

Don't what means Indy you just

Indy means what

What you means don’t just Indy

Means don’t Indy what just know

Know Indy just what means don’t you

eiregosod
05-17-04, 08:15 PM
The real motorcycle racing was on this past weekend in Nortern ireland, at the Northwest 200.

Think isle of man TT races except the riders are racing for position, NIOT time.
its ****ing insane, when they're doing 170+ & a ditch either side.

eiregosod
05-17-04, 08:18 PM
akso WSBK from Monza ws on too :cool:

a sight to behold

Chaos
05-17-04, 09:46 PM
The real motorcycle racing was on this past weekend in Nortern ireland, at the Northwest 200.

Think isle of man TT races except the riders are racing for position, NIOT time.
its ****ing insane, when they're doing 170+ & a ditch either side.

yup...those bikes even leave the ground when the terrain gets a little bumpy...really cool stuff

Clown
05-17-04, 09:53 PM

mk

*Pass: A manuver where one car exchanges position with another on the racetrack because of performance and/or driving skill differences. I realize young open wheel fans may never have actually seen this manuver, but trust me, it once was commonplace in top level open wheel racing.
This "passing" thing sounds cool :thumbup:

Robstar
05-17-04, 10:11 PM
It was MotoGP time around here this weekend. Pretty good race as well.

I thought it was a great race :thumbup:

Railbird
05-17-04, 10:12 PM
I made a pass one time

got slapped upside the head.

Napoleon
05-18-04, 07:09 AM
I made a pass one time

got slapped upside the head.

Then Sue married you?

Jag_Warrior
05-19-04, 12:18 PM
As a long time fan of another type of racing, I did my part in the "other" thread.

I'm with ya - I thought that was some real excitement. And oddly, horse racing is the only sport my mom follows, so it's the only sports program we've ever watched together. But if they ever start racing mules or donkeys, I'm sure we'll both drop it. ;)

On to Belmont, Shorty Jones!!! :thumbup:

Amanda B.'s Mom
05-19-04, 04:51 PM
Jag:

Cool on the mom thing. For us it was a family tradition, even if by phone. My mom, daughter and I would pick our horses "place our bets". and watch the race together. Daughter usually came out big in the $$$! The most I "won" was the last year my mom was alive. I think it would have been over $1000.00 if I had really betted!

My mom has been gone for 2 years now, but daughter still follows the Triple Crown.

RusH
05-19-04, 09:24 PM
7 to 1. Maybe next year it will be 5 to 2.
Indy is having a slow death.
But the horse race thread shouldn`t count. Go Smarty!.

racer2c
05-19-04, 09:28 PM
What would be bad is seven Indy threads in the Champ Car forum like back at 7G. These threads are just us hard cores having fun.

Jag_Warrior
05-23-04, 04:30 AM
I'm with ya - I thought that was some real excitement. And oddly, horse racing is the only sport my mom follows, so it's the only sports program we've ever watched together. But if they ever start racing mules or donkeys, I'm sure we'll both drop it. ;)

On to Belmont, Shorty Jones!!!

Yep, I did do that here. Well, F' me!

I was at dinner last night, yacking about horse racing and how I'm more into the Triple Crown than the Indy 500 now, when everybody turns and stares at me... like to see if I'm being serious. Not about Indy, it was about the horse's name. I said Shorty Jones... not Smarty Jones - several times! And I did it here too. How long have I been doing this?! And WTF is Shorty Jones?! Where the heck did that come from?! The worst attempted save of my life: Huh? Uh... yeah... uh, you know me... always cracking wise. Of course I know the horse's name! I just wanted to see if you guys knew it. A co-worker, his wife... and a first date with a cute newbie (who instantly shot me one of these :saywhat: ). Nothing like making that great first impression. Dayuuuum!!! :flame:

Just like the horse, you guys know I've bounced my head a time or two. You're supposed to be watching out for me. :gomer: Double dayuuum!

Amanda B.'s Mom
05-23-04, 09:51 AM
Sorry Jag,

I often read what people mean, not what they type. ;)

Jag_Warrior
05-23-04, 03:47 PM
I guess I need all the help I can get. But I'll teach people to set me up with attractive, successful, intelligent women. Yeah, Go Shorty Jones! How 'bout that Shorty Jones? That Shorty Jones is one heck of a race horse. I wish I'd put some money on Shorty Jones!

I'll live this down with my buddy and his wife some time around the turn of the next century. He had his wife call me last night and ask for Shorty. :saywhat: Eh, I ride other people a LOT... it's just coming back to me. :laugh:

Amanda B.'s Mom
05-23-04, 06:52 PM
Jag,

You will survive!

Jag_Warrior
05-23-04, 07:23 PM
Well, if you give it, ya gotta take the chance of getting it too. I went out with her sister several years ago, so I guess this is also going to be some sort of family payback event. :laugh:

June 5: Belmont Stakes and I'll be rooting for my favorite horse. Uh, you know the one. Go Shorty! :thumbup: