PDA

View Full Version : Kids are great

Andrew Longman
05-17-04, 08:37 AM
At dinner last night my youngest son, five years old, was sticking the rear end of a Matchbox-size Lola Champcar in his eye. The wife predictably made some sort of "Stop that, you'll put your eye out" comment.

The little guy shoots back, "But Mom, I'm the on board camera".

I knew just what he meant. :laugh: :thumbup:

ferrarigod
05-17-04, 09:19 AM
I can't say I didn't do that as a kid. Ok I lie, I can't say I didn't do that last race when I was looking at my diecasts.

Reminds me of that Porsche commercial with the accelerate at the apex :thumbup:

rocket
05-17-04, 09:47 AM
My daughter who will be 11 this year has a play Tuesday night, yesterday she wasn't feeling to good at some point, and said, "I hope I don't get sick because I don't have an understudy for the play...that's someone who knows my lines too Dad"

Just funny coming out of a kids mouth :D

Andrew Longman
05-17-04, 12:07 PM
My daughter who will be 11 this year has a play Tuesday night, yesterday she wasn't feeling to good at some point, and said, "I hope I don't get sick because I don't have an understudy for the play...that's someone who knows my lines too Dad"

Just funny coming out of a kids mouth :D

My other son, age almost 11, went with me and a few friends Saturday night to Wall Stadium to watch super modifieds run that bathtub of a track (that's another story). On the way there, a yellow car passed us in a blurr and one of my buddies says "What was that?"

My boy in the back calmly says, "A Ferrari 355 Spyder. Top speed 180. It can be yours for about $150,000."

We all just turned and looked at him.

What am I doing to my children?

devilmaster
05-17-04, 12:12 PM

Forget the children. What are you doing to your bank account?!? :rofl:

Steve

Elmo T
05-17-04, 06:52 PM
I picked up a complete set of 1/24 scale Hot Wheels F1 cars for my 3 year old daughter. ;) Honestly, they were for the little ones!

$5.00 each at the local discount toy store. They are from a few seasons back. As she says, she has the "Mika" car, Juan Pablo, and most notably - she has the "Michael Schumacher" car. She knows the red #1 car is Michael Schumacher and "he has the fastest car".

We were looking at old photos from the 2001 USGP. In hearing that Mika won the race, she wanted to know why Michael Schumacher was not at the race. :) When tuned to the races this season, she asks if Michael Schumacher has won yet. I am sure she isn't the only one asking that this year. :shakehead

DjDrOmusic
05-17-04, 09:46 PM
So I'm really OK??? I thought I was the only 45 year old who picked up a diecast car now and then and just held it......and dreamed of being in the cockpit of the real thing! :)

Amanda B.'s Mom
05-17-04, 10:20 PM
This reminds me of a race at Road America when my daughter was about 11. There she was, with all sorts of driver info in hand and mind. A couple sitting behind us was a little confused about some things. My daughter answered alll of their driver/team/track questions right away. Now, 9 years later, she is still on top of everything.

Instilling a love of the sport at a young age has it's benefits.

And, within a couple of years she will probably be working for a team in the crazy world of OWR!

Sean O'Gorman
05-17-04, 10:54 PM
My other son, age almost 11, went with me and a few friends Saturday night to Wall Stadium to watch super modifieds run that bathtub of a track (that's another story). On the way there, a yellow car passed us in a blurr and one of my buddies says "What was that?"

My boy in the back calmly says, "A Ferrari 355 Spyder. Top speed 180. It can be yours for about $150,000."

We all just turned and looked at him.

Heh, just make sure he doesn't get too into cars and racing and all that like I was at that age, otherwise he'll end up an anti-social reject like me. :gomer: I probably knew more at age 11 than most race fans ever will in their lifetimes.

I remember at age 9, 10, 11 I used to sanction bike races in the neighborhood, we had qualifying, pit stalls, a points system, multiple classes (bikes, bikes with training wheels, big wheels), etc. We had ovals and street courses. :D Eventually we had to stop racing because it was too dangerous (the tracks involved zooming through four-way intersections), and everyone else grew out of it. :thumdown:

nz_climber
05-18-04, 01:17 AM
This reminds me of a race at Road America when my daughter was about 11. There she was, with all sorts of driver info in hand and mind. A couple sitting behind us was a little confused about some things. My daughter answered alll of their driver/team/track questions right away. Now, 9 years later, she is still on top of everything.

Instilling a love of the sport at a young age has it's benefits.

And, within a couple of years she will probably be working for a team in the crazy world of OWR!

11 + 9 = a good age ;)

my ph number is..... :p

Andrew Longman
05-18-04, 11:23 AM
Heh, just make sure he doesn't get too into cars and racing and all that like I was at that age, otherwise he'll end up an anti-social reject like me. :gomer: I probably knew more at age 11 than most race fans ever will in their lifetimes.

I remember at age 9, 10, 11 I used to sanction bike races in the neighborhood, we had qualifying, pit stalls, a points system, multiple classes (bikes, bikes with training wheels, big wheels), etc. We had ovals and street courses. :D Eventually we had to stop racing because it was too dangerous (the tracks involved zooming through four-way intersections), and everyone else grew out of it. :thumdown:

He's destined to being a social reject. It runs in the family.

Cool story about bike racing. I wish I lived in your neighborhood as a kid. Maybe I'd start a rival league and bribe your riders with kool-aide to run my curcuit. ;)

Ed_Severson
05-18-04, 01:51 PM
You'd have to be an idiot to try something like that. ;)