PDA

View Full Version : A crazy idea

DjDrOmusic
05-17-04, 12:13 AM
I know, some of you have read my other ideas in the past, and the therapy is helping, however, I have another idea that I think is at least worth discussing. The three amigos seem to be pushing all the right buttons and although I realize it is going to take quite some time to right the ship completely, it's not too early for them to be thinking about their next move, and I suggest that they look into buying tracks. I have no idea if any are available, but in business everything is usually for sale. Like I said, it's just an idea for discussion, nothing more, just a "what if" kind of thing. And before someone jumps at the juglar, yes I agree they have more than enough on their plate right now with just running OWRS. Ok I have my nomex on!! ;)

Dougrun
05-17-04, 02:09 AM
ok idea. as long as it is in-line with thier current rules:
1. It has to draw people and therefore..
2. It has to make money

Gangrel
05-17-04, 09:29 AM
I know, some of you have read my other ideas in the past, and the therapy is helping, however, I have another idea that I think is at least worth discussing. The three amigos seem to be pushing all the right buttons and although I realize it is going to take quite some time to right the ship completely, it's not too early for them to be thinking about their next move, and I suggest that they look into buying tracks. I have no idea if any are available, but in business everything is usually for sale. Like I said, it's just an idea for discussion, nothing more, just a "what if" kind of thing. And before someone jumps at the juglar, yes I agree they have more than enough on their plate right now with just running OWRS. Ok I have my nomex on!! ;)

Well...Nazareth is for sale... :(

Andrew Longman
05-17-04, 09:42 AM
Well...Nazareth is for sale... :(

Doesn't draw, though IRL has yet to surpass Champcar numbers

How about just buying Indy and ending all this silliness? Wouldn't be cool if someone in the Hulman family would listen to logic and $?

mueber
05-17-04, 10:38 AM
If the series takes off, and the management puts the well being of the sport ahead of short-term gains, it would be another source of revenue, and vertical integration would be an efficiency factor, but we are a long way from that point. On the down side, it could be a millstone around the neck if it fails.

Over all, I fear it would concentrate too much power in too few hands. I can think of a certain track owner who thinks he should be made czar of North American auto racing because he owns a track for example.

oddlycalm
05-17-04, 02:28 PM
The premise is certainly easily feasible, although I'm not clear on what the compelling reason would be for OWRS to own tracks. Most of the profitable venues are temporary courses these days.

Most of the dozens of natural road courses in the US are self-supporting, and at this point make money even if there are zero races held there. They are booked solid for club track events nearly every day of the year that weather permits. Most of these tracks would require a lot of money to be spent before they could host a Champ Car race, but the ones like Mid-Ohio, Road America, Laguna Seca and Portland that do host races are part of this phenomena as well. If you think watching a race at one of these tracks is exciting, how about spending a dozen days every year driving a 5-6 20 minute sessions per day at them...?

Anyone that is involved with a local BMW, Porsche, Miata, Alfa, Lotus, etc., etc. club knows what I am talking about. My point is, the days when a track needed a couple big races to be financially solvent are long past. Many tracks don't bother hosting races at all anymore because it means they have to spend money meeting sactioning body standards and on spectator accommodations which club events don't require.

The rise of this same track participation phenomena may also be responsible for a significant drop in race attendence, as the people that are actually spending time on track themselves tend to spend a lot of money and time on that activity to the near exclusion of everything else. Most I know used to follow pro racing series like CART and Trans Am, but seem to have phased out of it once they started driving themselves. At club meetings I have been amazed at how little they are aware of even local events. When you realize that a set of tires costs $1000 and you need several sets per season, and when you take off work for 10-15 days each season to attend the events, the average person has seriously impacted their ability to pursue other interests.

oc

cart7
05-17-04, 05:24 PM
Actually DJ, not a bad idea. I always thought it would have been better if they had invested some of that IPO money into full or partial ownership in a couple tracks. Michele could certainly use some help upgrading MO.

ChampcarShark
05-17-04, 05:33 PM
Me too, I do not think it is such a bad idea.

Furthermore, OWRS could start building racetracks on important (or close to) cities. Those tracks do not neccesarily need to be ovals.

I believe border cities are the best places to build a permanent road course.

Riverside
05-17-04, 06:58 PM
Isn't Watkins Glen for sale? With some upgrading it could be a great track for Champcars.

DjDrOmusic
05-17-04, 09:43 PM
Isn't Watkins Glen for sale? With some upgrading it could be a great track for Champcars.

Actually that is exactly what got me to start thinking about this. Watkins Glen, could be that important link to the Northeastern part of the country, and would return real racing to the track. Some other tracks that I can think of that, I have no idea if they are for sale but would be cool to consider, Mosport, Mt. Tremblant, Mid-Ohio, and I'll admit I've never been there and have no idea if upgrading it would be fesible but what would the folks around Georgetown Road think if OWRS took control of IRP? Again this is just something to talk about, so have at it! :)