PDA

View Full Version : We all know there will be 33 @ Indy, how slow will the slowest be?

Fio1
05-16-04, 10:02 PM
The Foyts are the slowest so far at 213 & low 214. Now, we all know that some how or another, there will be 33 starters at the Indy 500. We know both Laziers and Robbie McGhee have a few hundred grand of their own to buy a few laps at the brickyard. We know Marty Roth & PJ will take a shot at qualifying and could asume that greg Ray will show up when it counts as well. So, my question is, how ridiculously slow will the 33rd place driver be at 6pm next Sunday?

I'm guessing 208. :rolleyes: :shakehead

27: B.Lazier #66
28: J.Lazier #23
29: PJ #98
30: Jeff Simmons #41T
31: M.Roth finally hitting 213!
32: R.McGhee something, most likely with miles on the engine and not practicing before Fri pm. Hey, what do you expect for 200 grand?
33: G.Ray #13 with less then 20 total laps.

Railbird
05-16-04, 10:21 PM
Looks like it's all down to the "Marty Factor" to me.

Hell, Beechler could outrun that clown with something stolen out of the museum.

BTW, Beck will give PJ something good enough to qual well in front of the Flyin' Foyts and that Sarah/Sharp trainwreck. Throw Tora and a couple other lost souls in the group and PJ might be collecting some obscure award involving farm animals.

The milk thing has the bovines covered and "Arnold" chimes in for the swine, so why not something with a chicken/egg connection?

what was the topic?

DaveL
05-16-04, 10:37 PM
Throw Tora and a couple other lost souls in the group and PJ might be collecting some obscure award involving farm animals.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Madmaxfan2
05-17-04, 09:18 AM
Something tells me that there will be 34 qualification attempts, so there will be a symbollic bump. That will supposedly shut us OWRS fans up. The designated bumpee will be Marty Roth. The manufacters and TG will open up the wallets to make it happen.

4wheeldrifter
05-17-04, 11:35 AM
Something tells me that there will be 34 qualification attempts, so there will be a symbollic bump. That will supposedly shut us OWRS fans up. The designated bumpee will be Marty Roth. The manufacters and TG will open up the wallets to make it happen.

Yep. My money's on Robby "Busted flat in Baton Rouge..." Mcgheeheeheee-yeaahh bumping "What's a" Marty Roth. :thumdown:

Chaos
05-17-04, 11:42 AM
still wont change the fact that "I just don't know what Indy means"

Rolling Chicane
05-17-04, 11:46 AM
I take it they have no 110% rule?

skidmarks
05-17-04, 01:04 PM
110% of entry fee returned. Arrive and drve, then get paid if you can keep costs low enough.

FTG!

DaveL
05-17-04, 01:10 PM
I don't know why there would be much hysteria over Roth qualifying at 212. It's one mph slower than Larry, so what's the big deal? Besides, they need all the cars they can get.

pfc_m_drake
05-17-04, 01:18 PM
Looks like it's all down to the "Marty Factor" to me.

Hell, Beechler could outrun that clown with something stolen out of the museum.

I'm actually rooting for Marty...don't ask me why because I really can't tell you...must just be the underdog factor. But in any event, the visual image of somebody stealing something out of the museum to try and put in the show is very funny!
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

On second thought...maybe it's very sad :(

cart7
05-17-04, 01:49 PM
I'm thinking IMS creates it's own drama on bump day. Sure, we know 33 cars will be there but how about 32 cars qualify with the last car, Marty "the legend" Roth to roll out as the gun sounds at 6pm.

The tension could be cut with a knife. Will he make it around 4 laps at over 200mph without spinning or hitting anything? All 50 spectators will be holding they're collective breathes as he pokes around the track. Can Punch and Gil actually sound like they care? It would be a new tradition in the making. :gomer:

Madmaxfan2
05-17-04, 04:44 PM
Brian Barnhardt stated there is no minimum speed rule at Indy, but they can "judge" an entry "not up to par" and eliminate it. Whatever that means.

FanofMario
05-17-04, 06:34 PM
Even Curt Cavin on the toob last night said Marty Roth was in over his head. :p You know they will fill the field no matter what. What a farce!

RTKar
05-17-04, 07:10 PM
I'm thinking IMS creates it's own drama on bump day. Sure, we know 33 cars will be there but how about 32 cars qualify with the last car, Marty "the legend" Roth to roll out as the gun sounds at 6pm.

The tension could be cut with a knife. Will he make it around 4 laps at over 200mph without spinning or hitting anything? All 50 spectators will be holding they're collective breathes as he pokes around the track. Can Punch and Gil actually sound like they care? It would be a new tradition in the making. :gomer:

I was thinking the same thing. With no minimum speed, I fully expect this. Look for some human interest profiles for "Slow Marty" to generate some sympathy for Marty's cause.

theunions
05-18-04, 01:12 AM
I'd much, much, much, much, much, much, much, much, much rather see Tora bumped than either Foyt (and the shocking thing is that heading into Bubble Day, that is actually a technical possibility).

Steve99
05-18-04, 11:14 AM
I'd much, much, much, much, much, much, much, much, much rather see Tora bumped than either Foyt (and the shocking thing is that heading into Bubble Day, that is actually a technical possibility).

Tora could drive circles around the Foyts. Bump the Foyts out, and make sure you have a camera on A.J. :rofl:

JLMannin
05-18-04, 12:16 PM
If Marty Roth makes the field, there will be a 34th attempt. If a Foyt is on the bubble, then the 34th qualifyer will be slower, preserving the Foyt. If Roth is on the bubble, then he gets bumped. Then I think TG will expant the the field to include all who posted qualifying speeds. He did this once already during the IRL era, 1997 or 1998 I think (35 starters)

Why all of this?

If Roth makes the field, there is a better than 50% chance he will wipe the car out on the final practice on Thursday. If that were to happen and there were no 34th qualifyer, there would be no alternate to slide in and the starting field would be less than "just a number" 33.

Edit - slowest speed will be 211.

Sean O'Gorman
05-18-04, 01:30 PM
If Roth makes the field, there is a better than 50% chance he will wipe the car out on the final practice on Thursday. If that were to happen and there were no 34th qualifyer, there would be no alternate to slide in and the starting field would be less than "just a number" 33.

But if Roth wrecked his car, it would be a great human interest story :rolleyes: to have one of the IRL teams "donate" him another chassis.

pchall
05-18-04, 02:32 PM
But if Roth wrecked his car, it would be a great human interest story :rolleyes: to have one of the IRL teams "donate" him another chassis.

That would almost be as sad and funny as Jim Guthrie thinking that one fluke win made him Roger Penske and then losing everything trying to run two cars at Indy.

gjc2
05-18-04, 07:45 PM
Are you sure there will be 33 cars?

George

Chaos
05-19-04, 08:36 AM
That would almost be as sad and funny as Jim Guthrie thinking that one fluke win made him Roger Penske and then losing everything trying to run two cars at Indy.

is that what happened to him?

JLMannin
05-19-04, 12:43 PM

As long as the tub was intact, this scenario would work out. As far as qualifying goes, it is the tub that makes the race. One year, Fernandez qualified, then the car was shipped back to England, stripped down to the tub, then totally rebuilt from the ground up.

If a tub is totaled beyond repair, the entry is out of the race, and an alternate should/would be placed in the field. If there is no 34th qualifier, then a less than full field would start.

JLMannin
05-24-04, 10:38 AM
slowest speed will be 211.

So, do I win a prize? :D

Madmaxfan2
05-24-04, 10:49 AM
So, do I win a prize? :D
Yep. A free photo session with Sarah Fisher, America's next F1 star. :rolleyes:

JLMannin
05-24-04, 01:00 PM
Yep. A free photo session with Sarah Fisher, America's next F1 star. :rolleyes:

Hopefully, she's a better photographer than race car driver. :rofl: