PDA

View Full Version : Where is our race this weekend?

Mike Kellner
05-16-04, 05:49 PM
We need a race Pole weekend, and on Memorial day. The Pole day race should be in some place like Korea, so it makes it as hard as possible to qualify or practice for the FNS 500.

We also need a race on Memorial Day. Since the Brits were our partners in WWII, perhaps a race in Great Britain on Memorial Day weeeknd, with special practice and test days on Wednesday and Thursday both places, so the teams have to leave for Korea on Monday, and then have to go straight to Great Britian afterwards.

mk

Imagine there's no Indy, it's easy if you try...

eiregosod
05-16-04, 06:19 PM
how about Portland on memorial day? the only reason being it's far away from Indy & Long Beach that could accomodate a race

May is too important a time to leave to IMS, especially since the 500 will be a night race from next year

Jay
05-16-04, 06:21 PM
I'd have to disagree actually - I have no problem if our guys want to race at things like the Indy 500, Le Mans, etc... they're still big races, like it or not, so if guys want to race in them, we should let them.

As for competing directly with the Indy 500 - I think that would be a bad idea for Champcar at the moment. There is a possiblity a team/driver would have an obligation to a sponsor to do Indy, thus we might not have 18 cars for that race. Plus, hardcore Champcar fans may be able to pretend the race doesn't exist, but I'm not sure everyone else will - beyond F1, Indy still gets a larger audience than any other open-wheel race by far. So, we do it, but almost nobody would be watching...though come to think of it, that wouldn't really be much different from any other races...lol.

Mike Kellner
05-16-04, 06:22 PM
Where did you hear that the FNS 500 will be a night race next year, or is that just based on the news story that NASCAR wants to run all its new races on Saturday night?

mk

eiregosod
05-16-04, 06:41 PM
arute toiled with the idea last year, sure he aint the most relaible , however as a suck up to both IMS & ABC he prolly hears things.

Cam
05-16-04, 07:55 PM
Where did you hear that the FNS 500 will be a night race next year, or is that just based on the news story that NASCAR wants to run all its new races on Saturday night?

mk

Right here. (http://www.offcamber.net/forums/showthread.php?t=4184&highlight=lights)

Mike Kellner
05-16-04, 08:00 PM
Right here. (http://www.offcamber.net/forums/showthread.php?t=4184&highlight=lights)

Thanks.

Interesting line....

But what he did say that was very interesting is that "its gonna look alot like what NASCAR does at Daytona in February...."

I think its gonna look like Daytona right down to the cars, myself. The final Vision, the TinTop 500. Afterall, an IndyCar is whatever races in the Indy 500. If they switch to NASCAR, then a Grand National car is an IndyCar.

mk

sundaydriver2
05-16-04, 08:48 PM
I'd have to disagree actually - I have no problem if our guys want to race at things like the Indy 500, Le Mans, etc... they're still big races, like it or not, so if guys want to race in them, we should let them.

As for competing directly with the Indy 500 - I think that would be a bad idea for Champcar at the moment. There is a possiblity a team/driver would have an obligation to a sponsor to do Indy, thus we might not have 18 cars for that race. Plus, hardcore Champcar fans may be able to pretend the race doesn't exist, but I'm not sure everyone else will - beyond F1, Indy still gets a larger audience than any other open-wheel race by far. So, we do it, but almost nobody would be watching...though come to think of it, that wouldn't really be much different from any other races...lol.

I could care less if Robby Gordon wants to do his "double". However, I take issue with the fact that Haas is putting Junky in a CRAPWAGON. I do not want our guys straping themselves into a bucket of bolts just to win a race that means less than the average Nascrap race.

OWRS needs to send a message loud and clear to Champ Car team owners: NO F'n way do you do Indy. Those **** for brains losers have tried to put us out of business.

I really dont care where or what we race on Memorial Day. Just do it.

:thumbup:

How anybody can see it different is unbelievable. :shakehead

racer2c
05-16-04, 08:58 PM
I could care less if Robby Gordon wants to do his "double". However, I take issue with the fact that Haas is putting Junky in a CRAPWAGON. I do not want our guys straping themselves into a bucket of bolts just to win a race that means less than the average Nascrap race.

OWRS needs to send a message loud and clear to Champ Car team owners: NO F'n way do you do Indy. Those **** for brains losers have tried to put us out of business.

And one sure way to send that word is to do like Mike is suggesting, schedule races in the month of May. Indy is dead and the sponsors are learning this.

Jay
05-16-04, 09:03 PM
fair enough sundaydriver2 :) - I know where you're coming from, but I have to wonder, from a strictly business point of view, if it's a wise idea for Champcar. Indy may be dieing, but the cars still have a lot more sponsors than the Champcars do... by a country mile. I definately agree that Champcar should not leave all of May to the IRL though...

I'm not one of them, but there are lots of people that like both series, and NASCAR on top of that. If they could have a race on memorial day weekend, but not run it at the same time as Indy or the Nascar race, I'm sure all race fans, regardless of their sworn allegiances would like that. Perhaps a late afternoon race? Portland sounds like a good idea...

Spicoli
05-16-04, 09:16 PM

I agree. :)

Insomniac
05-16-04, 09:20 PM
I agree and disagree. The first mistake we made was giving our guys a window to race at Indy. However, the fact remains that the Indy 500 is the most popular OW race whether any of us like it or not. Add the popularity of NASCAR now and the Coca-Cola 600 and it's a ratings nightmare for ChampCar to race. We need to be making money. Take Memorial Day weekend off. We need to move St. Pete to this past weekend (Pole Day weekend). No one can qualify unless they want to miss a ChampCar race.

Out with the fence sitters once and for all!

Cam
05-16-04, 09:24 PM
We need to move St. Pete to this past weekend (Pole Day weekend). No one can qualify unless they want to miss a ChampCar race.

Wrong. St. Pete needs to be the season opener, before anything else OW can grab the spotlight. Grab the attention before there are other distractions. Strike first!

Insomniac
05-16-04, 09:31 PM
Wrong. St. Pete needs to be the season opener, before anything else OW can grab the spotlight. Grab the attention before there are other distractions. Strike first!

I'd like to avoid 1 month in between races. It's ridiculous. The season can't start in February. LB seems like a great way to kick the season off IMO.

Spicoli
05-16-04, 09:38 PM
Hi.

Cam
05-16-04, 09:41 PM
Hi.

And your point? :D ;)

Railbird
05-16-04, 09:58 PM
Boys I was calling for them to rent Mid Ohio for this weekend months ago.

Did they listen?

Nope. of course maybe the beer can muffler I had attached to my face had something to do with it.

Too late for this year anyway.

IMHO, Indy quals will be cut back to one week next year. OWRS has to work on having an up and running flashy event on that same weekend. No TBA nonsense.

If an owner still feels the need to run Indy he will have to set up complete other operation like Haas has this year, but at least he will have to use another driver.

mapguy
05-17-04, 05:40 AM
of course maybe the beer can muffler I had attached to my face had something to do with it.

:rofl: :thumbup:

Classic.

Madmaxfan2
05-17-04, 09:40 AM
How about Lime Rock? SInce Trans-Am and ALMS races there Memorial Day weekend, OWRS should do a downtown study on what it would take Lime Rock to be upgraded to Champ Car standards and have super big "orgy" of road racing that weekend. Have Paul Newman promote the hell out of it, win the "Newman" trophy, and beat TG at his game. Then we will see who has a legend.