PDA

View Full Version : Pan & Scan attendance on ESPN2

fourrunner
05-16-04, 04:07 PM
I guess it was because of all the 'NOTHING HAPPENING" on the track.... But the ESPN camera's were doing a LOT of Scanning of the "Crowd" at day 2 qualifications...

NOBODY THERE, but they kept panning every nook and cranny of the Speedway...

Was this to send a message WE NEED BODIES or are they just so used to no one coming that their just resigned to it ?

cart7
05-16-04, 04:12 PM
It was sunny and warmer today. If there's one thing I've learned over the years reading TF threads is the average gomer earl fan heads for the shade or the bathrooms when the sun comes out. At least that's how they usually explain all the empty aluminum at all the other races. :gomer:

Megger
05-16-04, 07:25 PM
Or they fill a section of grandstand and only show that when you get a shot the "crowd". What a freakin joke! :shakehead

DaveL
05-16-04, 07:33 PM
I caught some of qualifying over the past two days.

Before Tony fixed things, drivers would talk about how relieved they were qualifying was over and that their 4 laps would be fast enough to make the race. The drivers over the past 2 days simply talked about putting in any ol' 4 laps and putting the car in the show. Talk about whether or not the speed would be fast enough has never once been discussed like it was before the IRL, and the reason is obvious-no one is going home next week.

Before Tony fixed things, there were two races in May: One to make the race, and the race itself. These days there still are two races but it's different. Now there is the race itself, at least for now, but the second race is the race to Tony's office to get him to pay you to fill the field.

The IRL-Fixing Indy since 1994.

eiregosod
05-16-04, 07:41 PM
he should go to weekend before the race for quals, with Thurs for any other qualifiers.

geez, only 2 more weeks until the race itself , I got to inspect the painting of a wall

pchall
05-16-04, 08:15 PM
?

Bored camera guys looking for major boobage? :gomer:

Cam
05-16-04, 09:01 PM
Bored camera guys looking for major boobage? :gomer:

Sounds exactly like what the crowd does at the Brickyard 400! :rolleyes:

Errrr....... Boreyard 400.....

Spicoli
05-16-04, 09:21 PM
I was there.

no one cares. nobody.

real sad.

Insomniac
05-16-04, 09:28 PM
I caught some of qualifying over the past two days.

Before Tony fixed things, drivers would talk about how relieved they were qualifying was over and that their 4 laps would be fast enough to make the race. The drivers over the past 2 days simply talked about putting in any ol' 4 laps and putting the car in the show. Talk about whether or not the speed would be fast enough has never once been discussed like it was before the IRL, and the reason is obvious-no one is going home next week.

Before Tony fixed things, there were two races in May: One to make the race, and the race itself. These days there still are two races but it's different. Now there is the race itself, at least for now, but the second race is the race to Tony's office to get him to pay you to fill the field.

The IRL-Fixing Indy since 1994.

Reading articles online, it seems the phrase "comfortably in" was popular. You'd think there was some worry of getting bumped. :)

RTKar
05-16-04, 10:43 PM
The real story of the Month of May was never covered by the sports news station covering the "event"....the lack of entries, the ever dwindling crowds and lack of general interest in the event. Don't you think we'd hear some stories if the Super Bowl or World Series had dwindling audiences and empty seats? It's starting to make me sick how the story is avoided. Where's the journalistic integrity?

DaveL
05-16-04, 10:46 PM
Reading articles online, it seems the phrase "comfortably in" was popular. You'd think there was some worry of getting bumped. :)

In the interviews I saw, the drivers were very matter of fact saying they just wanted to run 4 laps and then work on race setup. They reacted like they would during any other qualifying session for any other race.

Ooh yeah, lots of drama :rolleyes:

Railbird
05-16-04, 10:56 PM
I was there for about an hour today.

Amazingly the fans of live Christian rock and sunbathers didn't restrict my legroom.

Sean O'Gorman
05-16-04, 11:43 PM
I guess it was because of all the 'NOTHING HAPPENING" on the track.... But the ESPN camera's were doing a LOT of Scanning of the "Crowd" at day 2 qualifications...

Was this to send a message WE NEED BODIES or are they just so used to no one coming that their just resigned to it ?

I think they were just trying to piss off Defender. :laugh:

FanofMario
05-17-04, 01:17 AM
[The real story of the Month of May was never covered by the sports news station covering the "event"....the lack of entries, the ever dwindling crowds and lack of general interest in the event. Don't you think we'd hear some stories if the Super Bowl or World Series had dwindling audiences and empty seats? It's starting to make me sick how the story is avoided. Where's the journalistic integrity?]

No doubt. The lack of interest in this race is totally amazing to those of us living nearby and who grew up going to the track. In the old days everybody joked about how Tony Hulman would bribe the local TV weather guys in order to make sure the gate was adequate, but the silence to anything questioning this sorry state is amazing. Does FTG pay the Indy media off or is Spicoli right---nobody gives a **** anymore?
Curt Cavin on Sports Jam,WTHR, tonight did admit to low TV numbers and poor turnouts, but he thought the biggest problem was the perception of not having 33 starters than anything else. :rolleyes: People have to be taking a bath this May in Indy why no reports?

DjDrOmusic
05-17-04, 02:56 AM
Did anyone notice if an Igloo had been constructed anywhere in the stands???
:gomer: ;) :D

stroker
05-17-04, 02:59 AM
Caught a minute of SpeedNews Sunday, and RM mentioned that they need seven more cars to fill the field. He said both RP and CG are willing to field another car and then wondered where the other five cars are going to come from.

It's going to be an interesting scramble.

Skater_36
05-17-04, 09:09 AM
Caught a minute of SpeedNews Sunday, and RM mentioned that they need seven more cars to fill the field. He said both RP and CG are willing to field another car and then wondered where the other five cars are going to come from.

It's going to be an interesting scramble.

I'm wondering if the authors of this made for television qualifying script will find just enough to fill the field or if they will come up with an extra "bump" car. I'm guessing they won't have a bump car if it means eliminating a Foyt entry.

A script worthy of professional wrestling and just as obvious.