PDA

View Full Version : Larry Foyt, Pioneer

Ziggy
05-16-04, 03:13 PM
I have been watching this board with Larry Foyt comments the past couple of weeks. There is more here than meets the eye folks. Larry did not have to take a drivers test due to "current Nextel Cup experience" correct???

Ryan Newman is a Hoosier, Jeff Gordon is a Hoosier, both are openwheel guys. JJ Yealey is an openwheel guy. Kasey Kahne is an open wheel guy, Mike Bliss is an open wheel guy. Tracy Hines is an openwheel guy and starting a NASCAR career. So is Michael Lewis (and both are Hoosiers as well) plus, all these guys are/were USAC products.

So, Indy is short on entries, and drivers with money.

Dont you think it would be alot easier for any of the above drivers to secure funding than a guy like Papis, Memo, Servia etal?

Foyt is just an experiment to show the likes of the openwheel guys now running Nextel Cup cars that you can drive Indy in a one off situation. It also may prove out to potential sponsors and legal teams that letting their guy run Indy is not such a dangerous thing(!). I mean if wanker supreme Larry Foyt can do it, do you really think Newman or Hines would have a problem? Granted, Tracy is not ready, but Newman and Kahne would be slam dunk entries which would sell tickets and get press.

Just my take

Ziggy

eiregosod
05-16-04, 03:58 PM
Larry Foyt pioneer? I think he or PooperTex misread a bible passage ;)

Madmaxfan2
05-17-04, 09:33 AM
If it is an experiment? , it will be a failed one.

devilmaster
05-17-04, 10:08 AM
I can see that Tony would love that, Zig. Get a guaranteed draw with Winston Boys (sorry, can't say nextel ;) )

The only problem for Tony in all of this, is the World 600. Bruton Smith is a bitchy little guy. He wouldn't take too kindly to his race, (now becoming the biggest race on memorial day) being screwed over by cherry-picking drivers into the Indy. Who gives a crap about provisional boy and the other gordon.... But if chevy convinced their top names all to drive at Indy at once, Bruton will have something to say, i'm sure.

TG relies on Bruton's tracks, (especially for their 2nd biggest race) and i'm sure the IRL would hate to lose Texas over a bunch of one-off field fillers. I can see Bruton punishing TG. Hell, Bruton kicked out the NASCAR TV crew from his track when the network refused to say the SMI sponsor, once. This re-alignment of NASCAR races next year is a direct result of the lawsuit that Bruton helped lay on NASCAR.

In the end, TG has to realize that he is not the biggest fish in the pond. Being the bitch of NASCAR means you get told what to do.

Steve

Spicoli
05-17-04, 12:00 PM
Little known fact:

AJ is Larry's Dad and Larry's Grampa. :)

Larry is "under the umbrella of Foytness Protection Program!"

Many rules do not apply. :gomer:

BigIrlFan
05-17-04, 12:50 PM
WEll HELLs BElles my dad is my granfather to. HOw bout them appels?

Madmaxfan2
05-17-04, 04:48 PM
I wonder what Lucy has to say about that little known fact.

Spicoli
05-17-04, 08:20 PM
Supposedly AJ's daughter banged some guy whebn she was young, and now Larry comes along. the daughter got kicked out the house/trailer, and AJ & Lucy then done adopted the little feller, makin him a son 2x over.

just something I heard. Anybody got a confirm on this?

Ziggy
05-17-04, 08:36 PM
Larry's dad was a country and western singer

devilmaster
05-17-04, 08:41 PM
Do I hear Dueling Banjos?

Steve

nz_climber
05-17-04, 10:10 PM
Do I hear Dueling Banjos?

Steve

:rofl: :rofl:

Turn7
05-17-04, 10:13 PM
This link just seems to fit the situation...... (http://www.msn.americangreetings.com/display.pd?path=31833&bfrom=1&prodnum=3055128&)

JohnHKart
05-18-04, 04:36 AM
Thanks for that Turn 7....I just had some good laughs over that.

John

Ziggy
05-18-04, 06:56 AM
I think Larry Foyts dad's name was Larry Robards

He had a very corney song about AJ Foyt in 1976 or 1977