PDA

View Full Version : Attendance Down? It Was A Record Crowd!

Jag_Warrior
05-16-04, 01:18 AM
There was some really good human interest stories in this one, and a city that felt like their boy was in the Big Show. A hero who had cracked his skull in competition. An owner in poor health... down on his luck... down to his last two racers. With that, a record crowd was announced today. They claimed the biggest crowd to see a sporting event in the entire state. I don't know what the guys in the other thread are talking about... they must have been at the wrong track or something ( :D ). I mean, the place was absolutely packed!!!

One racer got nervous at the start. He just couldn't get himself settled down. But then they grabbed his ears, pinched his nose and grabbed his butt... shoving him to the line. The camera quickly went to a tighter shot, so I think they might have grabbed him somewhere else too - but like an Iraqi prison guard... I didn't see any actual johnson grabbin' going on, ya understand.

ESPN carried the prelims for a good while - then they switched to some dorkie guys in helmets at an empty race track somewhere (wonder if that's where our fellow posters mistakenly went?). NBC picked it up and there was this announcer that sounded (I swear) like Bob Jenkins (but with a brain).

All of a sudden, they were off! My boy was behind, then ahead, then even, then he darted to the inside and started spanking butt! I think he somehow turned up his boost, cause he just walked away from the rest like they were IRL cars in an F1 race.

Jokes aside, this really was an exciting horse race! And there were some excellent human interest stories in the build up. I don't mean to whizz on anybody's good time going to Indy - just havin' a little fun. But with Smarty Jones now set to make history, look for Belmont to beat the devil out of the 500 with the viewing public... just how it is these days. You hear the stories about the horse, the jockey, the owner and his wife... you just HAVE to tune in!

Amanda B.'s Mom
05-16-04, 09:52 AM
Definately a great race. I am waiting for them to figure out a way to have sponsor decals on the horses, though!

Tall1
05-16-04, 11:59 AM
Definately a great race. I am waiting for them to figure out a way to have sponsor decals on the horses, though!

In the KY Derby, jockeys wore advertising but was difficult to see what was being advertised. It was a great race till Smarty kicked in his afterburner. Will he have what it takes for the 1.5 miles at Belmont? I'd like to see Smarty win, but methinks Rockhard Ten may just win it if entered.

RusH
05-16-04, 02:20 PM
I honestly did not know it was pole day on Saturday at Indy. I woke up that morning knowing the only race I was intrested in this weekend was in Baltimore.
Go Smarty!, this will be the year. It`s going to be a zoo at the Belmont in 3 weeks.

Ankf00
05-16-04, 02:23 PM
and ppl call soccer weird ;)

Amanda B.'s Mom
05-16-04, 03:53 PM
This type of racing was popular long before there were such things as cars. It will remain popular long after there is no NASCAR, INDY 500, Champ Cars, F-1, etc.

There is tradition, there is excitement, there are human interest stories. The entire race takes less than 5 minutes!

And, after a racer retires he/she is put out to pasture to have offspring to continue the tradition. Let's see a car give birth to a future race winner.

Yes, Belmont will be extremely exciting.

No, horse racing is not wierd, it is an obcession!

Jag_Warrior
05-16-04, 04:19 PM
In the KY Derby, jockeys wore advertising but was difficult to see what was being advertised. It was a great race till Smarty kicked in his afterburner. Will he have what it takes for the 1.5 miles at Belmont? I'd like to see Smarty win, but methinks Rockhard Ten may just win it if entered.

Still strikes me as odd to see the jockeys wearing ads. :laugh: But hey, I guess it sweetens the pay day.

I took five minutes to go through the horses before The Derby, and select a horse. Same routine as every year. I try to go for the coolest name (another reason I do not gamble... on anything but life). I NEVER pick the right horse. Never! I didn't pick the cool name this time. I heard Smarty Jones had taken a blow to to head and maybe he wasn't wired quite right. What? A horse I can relate to. :gomer:

Yeah, I think they did a great job of telling the stories of the people involved this year. They try it every year, but I really went with it this year. Just funny how a horse can be more "personable" than any of the drivers I can think of at Indy this year.

pchall
05-16-04, 08:18 PM

For some reason I am thinking of the sponsorhip problems that will arise when they have to shoot the horse. On the other hand, there are a lot of NASCAR wankers who need to be put down, too.

Rogue Leader
05-16-04, 08:29 PM
For some reason I am thinking of the sponsorhip problems that will arise when they have to shoot the horse. On the other hand, there are a lot of NASCAR wankers who need to be put down, too.

theres a giant horse named the IRL that needs to be put down... and TG too!

Amanda B.'s Mom
05-17-04, 07:11 PM
It would definately be awesome of there was another Triple Crown winner. It has been way too long......