PDA

View Full Version : 10 years ago, part II

Lizzerd
05-15-04, 11:47 PM
Ten years ago (or even 15 or more), I would have been anticipating this day, pole day at IMS, for weeks if not months. Last night, Having already been to the track several times already since opening weekend, my truck would have already been loaded up with a canopy, grill, lawn chairs, flags, a big piece of old carpet, grill, fold up table, clothes basket full of stuff (sun screen, stopwatch, foil, paper towels...), an extra change of clothes, mud boots, etc.

Last night, I would have gone shopping for my weekend food, beer, a bottle of cheap champagne and orange juice for mimosas in the morning. I would have gotten a good night sleep and be out of bed at 5AM and by 6AM backed up to the fence at pit out in turn one along side fifteen to twenty "track buddys". A breakfast brat would soon be on the grill, followed sometimes with an hour nap. I would have been able to get into the track before the gates open because back then, a $100 bronze badge was accepted for early entry at the credential gate (last year was the first year that a bronze badge was no longer good for early entry.) and was good for admission and garage access all month except for race day. Some of the people I would park with in turn one were year round friends, others were people I only saw in May, but greeted warmly on opening day as if we were long lost brothers.

During a qualifying attemp, we would sit with stopwatches in hand, often times recording times on the time chart in the paper, making bets, telling lies, and high fiving each other when our hand timed lap matched the official time. The gun going off at 6PM meant it was time to stroll the garage area for a while. I often drove home near or after sunset.

Tomorrow, and for two days next weekend, I would have done the same, throwing in a happy hour or two during the week. Bump day was indeed a tension filled day. The radio or track announcer would announce that so-and-so was going to jump into so-and-so's backup car at 4PM. Anticipation and excitement rose when his practice times were just a tick faster than 33rd quick. Bump day was especially cool in the garages after quals. Watching the guys who made the show celebrating with fans, and seeing the teams that didn't make it soberly closing shop. Seeing the signs over the closed doors of the Penske garages in '95 at 6:15 was eerie, to say the least. Carb day was much like a qual day. Up early, and at the track all day.

This year, I stayed home and cleaned house.

God, I miss that place.

JT265
05-15-04, 11:57 PM
Just beautiful man. :thumbup:

DaveL
05-16-04, 12:05 AM
Bump day was especially cool in the garages after quals. Watching the guys who made the show celebrating with fans, and seeing the teams that didn't make it soberly closing shop. Seeing the signs over the closed doors of the Penske garages in '95 at 6:15 was eerie, to say the least. Carb day was much like a qual day.

I remember Bump Day 1991. Dale Coyne was celebrating with the fans after Randy Lewis bumped his way in a car with a borrowed motor (the crew worked all day to replace the engine that blew that morning). That was the year I clocked Willy T. Ribbs' run and yelled out in amazement, "It's over 217!" and everyone in the packed Tower Terrace started to cheer.

Then there was Bump Day '95. You couldn't fit a piece of paper between the fans in the Tower Terrace at 5:25 because it was so packed. My memory was watching a Penske crewman coiling up an air hose after the gun went off, wiping away tears.

That was back in the days when you didn't know who was going to be in the race until the 6:00 gun went off.

The IRL-Fixing Indy since 1994.

RTKar
05-16-04, 12:31 AM
It all makes me so sad, what Indy used to be, what it should be still. They may be running a race their but judging by tv ratings and the ever increasing gleam of aluminum, the clock is ticking on the future of meaningful open wheel racing in North America.

Sean O'Gorman
05-16-04, 12:42 AM
Ugh. If today was like 10 years ago, I'd be watching pole day with moderate interest, mainly waiting for the build up to bump day. I loved the drama of the week building up to the final qualifying session, and I have to say that when the bumping went away, so did my interest in the IRL.

cart7
05-16-04, 09:29 AM
It's become just another earl race. The fact that the earl itself stagnated quite a few years ago attests to the continued decline in the 500 itself. Even staunch old Brickyard hardliners are having trouble connecting with this pathetic version of Cart-lite part Deux.