PDA

View Full Version : My addiction with Vietnamese Pho Soup

dirtyboy
02-05-03, 04:06 AM
Anyone else addicted to Vietnamese Pho soup? I’ve been eating it for 3 years at least and am still hooked like a heroin junky. I swear I single-handedly have supported small Vietnamese families with my Pho habit. I literally force my wife to go and eat the stuff with me because I am embarrassed because I am at the restaurant about five times a week by myself for lunch. DAMN YOU PHO!!!! WHY DO YOU TASTE SO GOOD?

JoeBob
02-05-03, 11:51 AM
There's a large Vietnamese community in the twin cities, I should try the soup. I have had the "vietnamese sandwiches" that are dirt cheap, and very good.

My current soup addiction is Chicken Pot Pie Soup. It sounds gross, but tastes sooooooo good.

Don Quixote
02-05-03, 11:55 AM
What is in the stuff, or do you really know?

dirtyboy
02-05-03, 01:58 PM
Originally posted by Don Quixote
What is in the stuff, or do you really know?
It’s basically a rice noodle soup, and then you add bean sprouts, limejuice and jalapenos. But the topper is right when they serve you the soup they add thinly sliced pieces of steak and it cooks in the broth for a minute. Then you can add different Asian hot sauces or plum sauce depending on how you like it. It sounds strange but is highly addictive. I got all my friends and family hooked with one try.

racer2c
02-05-03, 03:14 PM
I work in Falls Church VA, just outside Washington DC. There is a Pho restaurant on every corner. I understand in Vietnam Pho is the equivalent to the American sidewalk hot dog. They have small walk up vender's in the markets, usually with two or three stools. Popular lunch item.

My co-workers and myself do Pho every Friday (it's really more popular in the Winter). Pho 75 is the best around here. They have long tables and everyone is seated elbow to elbow.

As for the soup, it's chicken broth based with vermicelli (rice) noodles. You use a deep spoon for the broth and chop sticks for the noodles. I make mine bright red with the hot sauce (Sirachi). Although recently I've been duplicating the local custom of dipping your meat pieces in spoons filled with the hot sauce and plum sauce.

Fresh basil is the piece de resistance.

Pho is king.

Don Quixote
02-05-03, 05:14 PM
Originally posted by dirtyboy
It’s basically a rice noodle soup, and then you add bean sprouts, limejuice and jalapenos. But the topper is right when they serve you the soup they add thinly sliced pieces of steak and it cooks in the broth for a minute. Then you can add different Asian hot sauces or plum sauce depending on how you like it. It sounds strange but is highly addictive. I got all my friends and family hooked with one try.

OK, that sounds good. Must try soon. :cool: