devilmaster
05-14-04, 10:30 AM
que sera sera....

Steve

pchall
05-14-04, 10:53 AM
que sera sera....

Steve

Hey, Roger! Where's your indignation now that your ISC buddies have dumped your little oval? Oh? You're still in bed with them and can't say anything with your mouth full? :saywhat:

Chief
05-14-04, 11:17 AM
Another track the EArL killed. They have quite a history.....I thought the EArL made money and had great attendance? We had some great times there when the ChampCars rolled in the hills of Nazareth, PA. RIP Naz....

Gotta be like a punch in the nose, right Roger? How's it feel sellout traitor?

DaveL
05-14-04, 11:22 AM
If the seats were filled the place wouldn't close, period.

Steve99
05-14-04, 11:44 AM
Why is it closing?
We are disappointed by this decision, but we believe we can grow Nazareth's events more quickly by realigning them to other facilities within the ISC family beginning next year.

I didn't understand this answer fromt the FAQ. How is not having any events going to "grow Nazareth's events more quickly"?

Madmaxfan2
05-14-04, 11:55 AM
I didn't understand this answer fromt the FAQ. How is not having any events going to "grow Nazareth's events more quickly"?
Talk about doublespeak. Narareth's event dates were more valuable than the track? There is no Cup date there, and a Busch race and an IRL race date scarce? Maybe Watkin's Glen will get an EARL date.

pchall
05-14-04, 12:08 PM
Talk about doublespeak. Narareth's event dates were more valuable than the track? There is no Cup date there, and a Busch race and an IRL race date scarce? Maybe Watkin's Glen will get an EARL date.

Watkins Glen covets the Truck date and Tony will pay ISC to take his pathetic little show there as a support race.

extramundane
05-14-04, 03:16 PM
Maybe Watkin's Glen will get an EARL date.

That's the word going around town today, and all the top NASCAR brass are here. But they may be going there as a Busch support race :o

RichK
05-14-04, 04:00 PM
But they may be going there as a Busch support race :o

I would absolutely LOVE to see that! :laugh:

racer2c
05-14-04, 04:04 PM
"Hey Helio, grab your helmet, you're warming up for the Nextel Cup warm up series."
"But, I won the Indy 500". :cry:

Steve99
05-14-04, 04:23 PM
"Hey Helio, grab your helmet, you're warming up for the Nextel Cup warm up series."
"But, I won the Indy 500". :cry:

"But, I tell you, I won the Indy 500". :cry:

scanman
05-14-04, 04:45 PM
"But, I tell you, I won the Indy 500". :cry:
Second time too..... :cry:

ChrisB
05-14-04, 10:01 PM
http://www.netaxs.com/~gg1/race/naz/naz_97.jpg

Like I said in an earlier thread, Indy-Champ car racing peaked at Nazareth in that '97 photo after years of steady growth, and then started the decline:

1998: Rain-out, held Monday. This probably annoyed many fans.
1999: Horrible race due to no-grip "speedway" wings. More fans annoyed.
2000: Friggin' Snow! Yet even more fans turned off.
2001: Good weather, but CART leaving (and Roger & Mario openly begging them reconsider) probably didn't look too good to fans either.
2002: First IRL race. rain drizzle... 52% of laps run under yellow. More fans annoyed.
2003: Finally a summer date, but hardly anyone shows up.

Year after year, things just piled on to annoy the fans. Add in "the split" to also decimate the general sponsor & media base and it's no wonder. Both leagues deserve equal blame for the general state of the sport.

There were years when this area sometimes could sustain 2 or more Indy-Champ races per year (Langhorne+Trenton, Pocono+Nazareth, etc) and now for the first time there won't be any. It's certainly not for lack of people... the NE corridor is the most densely populated region of the country and the 2 Nascar races at Pocono are considered the largest sports crowds in Pennsylvania with about 130K (the PennState football games are next with about 100k). It's just totally confounding how Indy-Champ racing has fallen apart in the past few years!

Thank goodness for PA Posse 410 sprint car racing!

meadors
05-14-04, 10:43 PM
Yeah CART sure needed fixing. :flame:

http://www.netaxs.com/~gg1/race/naz/naz_97.jpg

Like I said in an earlier thread, Indy-Champ car racing peaked at Nazareth in that '97 photo after years of steady growth, and then started the decline:

1998: Rain-out, held Monday. This probably annoyed many fans.
1999: Horrible race due to no-grip "speedway" wings. More fans annoyed.
2000: Friggin' Snow! Yet even more fans turned off.
2001: Good weather, but CART leaving (and Roger & Mario openly begging them reconsider) probably didn't look too good to fans either.
2002: First IRL race. rain drizzle... 52% of laps run under yellow. More fans annoyed.
2003: Finally a summer date, but hardly anyone shows up.

extramundane
05-15-04, 11:32 AM
That's the word going around town today, and all the top NASCAR brass are here. But they may be going there as a Busch support race :o

Latest word is that NASCAR really wants a Busch/Grand-Am doubleheader in Mexico City (but they seem to be encountering some resistance from the MC track owner, whomever that may be ;) ). If that happens, then they'll likely send Busch to Watkins Glen, with an Earl race either in the morning or later in the afternoon. If the Mexico deal falls through, then expect a Truck/Earl/Grand-Am weekend. :thumdown: