PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on the new qualifying system?

HolyCrap
05-13-04, 05:24 PM
So, lets have some feedback on the qualifying proceedure change....and should it stay for all season or not?

Here it is by the way in case you did not see it:
In the ongoing quest to provide the best racing for its millions of fans around the world, the Bridgestone Presents The Champ Car World Series Powered by Ford is implementing a new qualifying procedure for next week’s Tecate/Telmex Monterrey Grand Prix, a format that guarantees that fans watching both at Fundidora Park and on television will have non-stop action every time that the Champ Cars are on track.

The special format will continue to feature sessions on Friday and Saturday, with championship points up for grabs on each of the two days. The idea behind the new format is to avoid periods of inactivity during Champ Car qualifying sessions and provide more action for the fans.

Drivers will be split into two groups determined by a random draw for Friday’s session with each group running for 15 minutes with a guaranteed 10 minutes of green flag action with no lap limitations on the drivers. After the two 15-minute sessions, the fastest five drivers in each session will move on to a final 15-minute segment to battle for the day’s championship point.

All previous times will be erased, with the times in the final session setting the top-10 grid positions for first-day qualifying. The rest of the field would be set provisionally by using the first-session times. The leader of the final Friday session would receive a championship point, but would not be guaranteed a front-row starting spot as was the case last season. The driver will however, be guaranteed a spot in the final Pole Shootout session on Saturday.

Saturday will see a different format again, with all 18 drivers participating in a 30-minute session with 20 minutes of guaranteed green flag time. There will again be no limit on the number of laps that a driver may run during the 30-minute session. The top nine drivers plus the fastest driver from Friday – or the fastest 10 from the first session if the Friday leader is among them – will then participate in a Pole Shootout, in which each driver will get seven laps to attempt to earn the pole. As is the case on Friday, all drivers in the Pole Shootout will have their times erased and will have their final qualifying positions determined by those seven laps.

Final grid positions 11-18 will be set using the times from the first Saturday session, with the top 10 coming from the second session times. The penalties for causing a red flag will be slightly modified, as the driver that causes a red flag in qualifying will still lose his fastest lap but will not have to serve an additional time penalty.

“We are constantly looking for ways to make our racing more exciting for the many fans that show up at Champ Car races,” said Senior Vice-President of Operations John Lopes. “We believe that this new format will provide intense, hard-fought action for our fans and create drama during both of the two days of qualifying. We are especially excited to try this new format for the benefit of our Mexican fans that come out and support Champ Car so strongly.”

Hot Daug
05-13-04, 05:31 PM
:thumbup:

Less excuses for the whiners.

HolyCrap
05-13-04, 05:35 PM
:thumbup:

Less excuses for the whiners.

Ah, the Bruno Rule?

Steve99
05-13-04, 05:53 PM
Way too complicated. Imagine being at the track and trying to explain the format to someone.

sundaydriver2
05-13-04, 06:00 PM
This format should provide more action on the track but as Holy Crap said, it is confusing.

I will wait to see how it all turns out and reserve judgement then.

Ankf00
05-13-04, 06:03 PM
if they're doing a superpole system for saturday, there's no point in running a smaller superpole system for friday

KLang
05-13-04, 06:04 PM
Won't there still be whining about 'not getting a clean lap'?

Will they be alloted more tires? Seems like there will be more laps run.

It will be interesting to see how it plays out and what the drivers comments are.

Wabbit
05-13-04, 06:56 PM
Ummm...errrr..yeah, right.

So, you don't want to be fastest, just in the top 5 on Friday, unless the wind is blowing from the east on Saturday, in which case you want to be in the top 5 of Saturday, but if there you are going to also be running Indy, then you just have to show up....right.

You now have to qualify 4 times to get in the front rows?

scanman
05-13-04, 07:26 PM
Is there not still a point for Fri. and another for Sat.... :confused:

At least thats the way I see it.... :thumbup:

nz_climber
05-13-04, 07:43 PM
Not too sure about the friday thing, but the top 10 shoot out on the saturday is a good thing :thumbup:

they use the top 10 shoot outs in the v8's supercars downunder, and I think they work well, and plenty of excitment finding out who's going to be on pole, do they go out 1 at a time for the shoot out? this would be best cause those in the top ten can't complain about getting clean laps in.

Robstar
05-13-04, 07:45 PM
I really like the idea of Top 10 Shootout... :cool:
But way too confusing & as Steve99 said, imagine explaining to the casual types what's going on when at the track... :thumdown:

nz_climber
05-13-04, 07:47 PM
I really like the idea of Top 10 Shootout... :cool:
But way too confusing & as Steve99 said, imagine explaining to the casual types what's going on when at the track... :thumdown:

Us folks from down under thinks the same way :D

Robstar
05-13-04, 07:48 PM
& we wrote that at the same time... :D

pfc_m_drake
05-13-04, 08:23 PM
I love the idea, and I think it'll work out well, but I do agree that it's a bit complicated.

I like the idea of doing it the same way both Friday and Saturday. I'd say do:

Two 15 minute open sessions on Friday, fastest 5 from each group goto the 15 minute final shootout for provisional pole on Friday.

Same deal on Saturday - two 15 minute open sessions, fastest 5 from each group goto a final 15 minute shootout for final pole.

Only exception would be to include the provisional pole sitter from Friday's session in the final pole shootout if he's not otherwise among the fastest 10.

This way it might be easier for everybody to understand (especially the casual fan). Two 15 minute open sessions, fastest 5 from each session each day goto a final 15 minute shootout.

cart7
05-13-04, 08:34 PM
It's got it's good points but it is confusing. I'm sure after a couple of qual sessions at a couple of races they'll figure out what's working, what needs modifying and what can go in the can. So far, not bad. :thumbup:

dando
05-13-04, 09:13 PM
the Bridgestone Presents The Champ Car World Series Powered by Ford is implementing a new qualifying procedure for next week’s Tecate/Telmex Monterrey Grand Prix, a format that guarantees that fans watching both at Fundidora Park and on television will have non-stop action every time that the Champ Cars are on track.

I'm still trying to figure out how I'm supposed to see this on TV.... :confused:

-Kevin

Lizzerd
05-13-04, 11:33 PM
It's not clear to me whether the final Pole Shootout is a timed session or not. Is it seven laps on the track solo? It kind of looks like it. If it is timed, just wait for the "blocking" comments to come. You ain't seen nothin' yet.

Steve99
05-14-04, 12:22 AM
I'm still trying to figure out how I'm supposed to see this on TV.... :confused:

-Kevin

HDNet or Race Director

skidmarks
05-14-04, 08:16 AM
It's like runnin' the feature to get to the A main.

Madmaxfan2
05-14-04, 12:21 PM
I do not like it. First of all, it is too complicated to explain and keep track of.
Secondly. it is to gimmicky and reminds me of NASCAR type thinking.

Insomniac
05-14-04, 12:35 PM
Is there not still a point for Fri. and another for Sat.... :confused:

At least thats the way I see it.... :thumbup:

There is still a point for each day, but not a guaranteed front row starting position.

Insomniac
05-14-04, 12:38 PM
I'll give it a chance to see how it all works out, but it seems like a lot of rules. Just go to single car qualifying. Make the day 1 order radom and reverse the results for day 2 qualifying.

On day 2, it still seems like everyone will complain who aren't in the top 10. I didn't get a clear lap during the 30 minutes...

dando
05-14-04, 05:05 PM
HDNet or Race Director
Race Director does not equate to 'TV' (unless you are one of the few extreme geeks like moi that has a PC hooked up to a TV). Also, according to the CCWS site, HDNet will not have the Monterrey race. :( Me thinks that reference was a mistake, becuz HDNet viewership is tiny (far smaller than Spike or Speed).

-Kevin

Anteater
05-22-04, 10:59 AM
The first qualifying session under the new rules has been completed, and here's what Bruno thinks:
http://www.speedtv.com/articles/auto/champcar/11157/?from=

"Bozo the Clown", LOL! Has he been hanging around Tracy a lot lately?

Old3Fan
05-22-04, 11:35 AM
:thumdown:
I don't like it. If they want to do it right with no team or driver getting an unfair advantage, then at each race, have a drawing for qualifying order and them let each driver go out alone on the track for a 2 or 3 lap warm up and then run one hot lap for their time. Simple and probably no more time required than in previous methods of quals. :gomer: :thumbup:

RTKar
05-22-04, 11:50 AM
It gives me a headache.

fourrunner
05-22-04, 11:56 AM
It doesn't seem to confusing to me !

If some fans need crayons & Hooked on Phonics to think past a simple sentence, that's their problem.

The point is Giving the PAYING FANS a show for their money

If the rules are the same for everyone, whats the problem... Sounds like if you work hard on Friday, and succeed, you get to really shine on Saturday.

I'm guessing some of the competitors aren't really competitors.

Now if the Top Teams stink on Friday, that's what they're really bitching about .... Gee a hard working mid level team works hard and gets on the front row, and the poor guys who think they're better have to follow them until a pit stop during the race... Well pass them, PT seems to do it when necessary! ;)

nrc
05-22-04, 01:15 PM
I didn't like the system, either. But I think that Blinky is off base claiming that Champ Car doesn't care about the fans. This system really was an attempt to provide more excitement throughout qualifying as opposed to 45 minutes of waiting around with five minutes of excitement at the end. Instead it provided 45 minutes of confusion.

Insomniac
05-22-04, 01:20 PM
:thumdown:
I don't like it. If they want to do it right with no team or driver getting an unfair advantage, then at each race, have a drawing for qualifying order and them let each driver go out alone on the track for a 2 or 3 lap warm up and then run one hot lap for their time. Simple and probably no more time required than in previous methods of quals. :gomer: :thumbup:

I said something similar. Make the order random Friday then reverse those results on Saturday.

And if you have to make it interesting, randomly choose the number of warm up laps for the session or let the fans choose.

XFT
05-22-04, 02:35 PM
You guys are only up in arms because all you got was a feed and live T&S no commentators...with them it would be much more exciting! :thumbup:

KLang
05-22-04, 02:44 PM
From the track commentary window:

After considering feedback from drivers and fans, Champ Car has decided to return to the previous qualifying format for today. There will be a 15-minute practice, a 10-minute break, and 35-minutes of open qualifying.. Bourdais retains his point from yesterday but is not guaranteed a front row starting spot. All grid positions will be determined by the final 35-minute session.

I guess the drivers whined enough.

XFT
05-22-04, 02:46 PM
wow, and, no video feed for race director?

KLang
05-22-04, 02:54 PM
wow, and, no video feed for race director?

I've got a couple up.

TravelGal
05-22-04, 02:58 PM
From the track commentary window:

I guess the drivers whined enough.

Yippee, skippee! Count me among the whiners. >>getting out my crayons<< :winks to 4r: It seemed to me that Olympic Figure Skating scoring was easier to understand.

Steve99
05-22-04, 03:14 PM
Thanks goodness they went back to the old format.

fourrunner
05-22-04, 03:34 PM
Well lets hope that Junquera doesn't see this as a signal to Whine & Criticize the leadership in public on a regular basis

That will grow thin fast !!

I'm figuring they considered Sebastians more gracious approach as the reasons for the change! ;)

OWRS is definitely reacting to problems or perceived problems quickly that's something new & good!

Hope Bruno finds a Microphone to give the series a thumbs up for acting so quickly!

And least I hope so ... :)

Madmaxfan2
05-22-04, 04:11 PM
Great move by OWRS to cancel the gimmicky format.

KLang
05-22-04, 05:20 PM
I like the fact that they are willing to try new things. Also they'll make a quick change if something isn't quite working out. :thumbup:

Insomniac
05-22-04, 05:28 PM
Good call OWRS. :thumbup:

Dr. Corkski
05-22-04, 06:32 PM
If some fans need crayons & Hooked on Phonics to think past a simple sentence, that's their problem.Maybe OWRS should get them to sponsor, becuase it sure looked like the majority of the fans needed those products badly.

Jay
05-22-04, 07:17 PM
I think it's good that they went back to the old qualifying format - but I really wish they could find a set of rules that work, and keep them consistent throughout the season - like F1.

I thought we had some qualifying and racing last year, without gimmike qualifying sessions, "push to pass," or other rules that are making Champcar feel a lot more like NASCAR. I'm not sure why any changes were necessary...

Insomniac
05-22-04, 07:49 PM
I thought we had some qualifying and racing last year, without gimmike qualifying sessions, "push to pass," or other rules that are making Champcar feel a lot more like NASCAR. I'm not sure why any changes were necessary...

I like push to pass. To me, it's a limited fuel control knob which I hated. Fuel run races stunk!

Railbird
05-22-04, 08:28 PM
and keep them consistent throughout the season - like F1.

I don't know about that, the current format in F1 may well be tweaked during this season.

I agree though that consistancy is important

I would just as soon see them have X-amount of green flag track time with all the rubber and laps they can work in.

Ankf00
05-22-04, 08:56 PM
superpole would be sweet...

they just need to do it ONCE

fourrunner
05-22-04, 09:21 PM
Maybe OWRS should get them to sponsor, becuase it sure looked like the majority of the fans needed those products badly.

Someone said that it was to hard to EXPLAIN to the uninitiated how it works... I just said it wasn't that hard really

Now is it a GOOD IDEA - evidently not because they changed it ... But they gave it a try ...

I just hoped they read all the threads on all the sites and then changed it - NOT because Junquera was going through menopause! ;)

OWRS definitely responded quick though !

I am glad OWRS is trying things to make the Show more interesting... Some will work, some won't !

BTW - good to see you cork!! :thumbup: