PDA

View Full Version : Oh Great...Plastic's stuck to my car, now what?

JohnHKart
05-13-04, 06:09 AM
I ran over a big plastic bag last weekend...and proceeded to drag it home a hundred miles and more...I just figured it blew underneath and was gone. So after I removed it, two days later, there's still plastic residue burning on the muffler underneath the middle of the car....how the heck do I get this stuff off? I guess scraping it off when the car is cool is the way to do it. Any ideas? The plastic fumes are making me sick.

John

rocket
05-13-04, 07:25 AM
New car.....problem solved. :D

chop456
05-13-04, 07:30 AM
I'd burn the rest of it off with a propane torch.

Then again, I'm an idiot.

And be careful with those fuel lines, Eugene.

twisted
05-13-04, 10:29 AM
Just have your wife drive it till the smell is gone. :thumbup:

ChampcarShark
05-13-04, 10:33 AM
Try spraying some engine cleaner on it then rinse with plenty of water.

If that stuff can remove burn oil I am sure it can remove the plastic very easyly.

But letting your wife drive it till the smell is gone seems to be the better option. :D

oddlycalm
05-13-04, 03:58 PM
Pro detailers use latex adhesive remover to remove tar and burned on plastic. It also works great for removing burned-on sneaker sole material from motorcycle exhausts. I keep a quart spray container around full, and when it gets to empty I get my local detailer to refill it for me for a few bucks. It won't screw with paint, but it will strip of all the wax if it's a painted surface.

You can get the stuff from suppliers, but they will want to sell you a gallon minimum, which is a 10yr supply for me.

oc

indyfan31
05-13-04, 06:30 PM
you could also try a couple of products called Goof-off or Goo-gone.