PDA

View Full Version : Paul Newman on Windtunnel

fourrunner
05-12-04, 05:03 PM
Paul Newman will be on Windtunnel Thursday Night

It will be taped Thurday afternoon so obviously no live questions

E-Mail questions will be accepted prior to taping...

Wonder if they'll edit Paul if he Trashes the IRL like he did on Larry King Live with Heather McCartney?

Madmaxfan2
05-12-04, 07:54 PM
Paul Newman will be on Windtunnel Thursday Night

It will be taped Thurday afternoon so obviously no live questions

E-Mail questions will be accepted prior to taping...

Wonder if they'll edit Paul if he Trashes the IRL like he did on Larry King Live with Heather McCartney?

He did on Larry King! Great! That probably sent Ole TG and Freddie into a spin that could not handle.

racer2c
05-12-04, 08:39 PM
What did he say?

fourrunner
05-12-04, 09:12 PM
He basically said that Long Beach wasn't supposed to happen and would have about 180,000 Fans attending the Champ Car Race weekend, while the IRL was struggling to get 15,000 with half of that being free tickets!

He said it in that dignified way only Paul Newman could ! :) :thumbup:

devilmaster
05-12-04, 09:12 PM
What did he say?

From CNN's transcript page...

MCCARTNEY: We're back with actor, activist and racecar driver Paul Newman.

Now your first race, was it 1972? In a Lotus Elan? Were you inspired to race from the film "Winnings"? Is that how you got involved with it? Or is that just coincidental?

NEWMAN: Well, I -- John and I did a film about two years before that, about racecar driving. But my schedule was so packed. And I never really could take the time out to get a license. But I started in 1972, and I've had some success with it.

MCCARTNEY: Just a little bit. Aren't you in the "Guinness World Record" for being the oldest guy, 70, to win a race?

NEWMAN: To get underneath the racecar and lift it up with your feet. No, I -- I -- someone said it was -- I don't know if it's still active, but I had to win a professionally sanctioned race, yes.

MCCARTNEY: I heard that that was the case.

And how did you get involved with Haas? How did that collaboration -- Carl Haas -- how did that come together?

NEWMAN: Well, before I had -- was involved with Broken Wheel road racing, I had had a CanAm team, which was another series. And it expired.

And Carl Haas called me, and -- and we had not been exactly friendly during the CanAm days, because he provided my cars for the CanAm series late and overweight. But that was another discussion.

But he said, "How'd you like to start a championship car?"

And I said, "Well..."

And he said, "What if Mario Andretti was the driver?"

MCCARTNEY: Wow.

NEWMAN: I said, "Where would you like to meet and when?"

And we've been very, very good partners for...

MCCARTNEY: So you've forgiven him for the overweight cars?

NEWMAN: Oh, I forgave him that a long time ago.

MCCARTNEY: Do you change cars? I mean, for people who don't know much about racing, you know, is it a specific type of race, a type of car that you -- when you race, do you stick to the same car or you change your cars or...?

NEWMAN: Well, I like to separate my racing, which is on a much lower level than champ car racing. There are Open Wheel cars that have -- that can stick to the ceiling at 150 mph.

There's been a lot of -- two separate groups. And a great scheduling. And there's the champ car racing, and then there's the IRL.

But we're basically road racers, and street racers. And a few ovals. And -- and -- the first race that we will have at Long Beach.

MCCARTNEY: On Sunday.

NEWMAN: On Sunday. We expect to have 125,000 people at the race and probably over 200,000 people between qualifying on Friday and some support races.

The first race that IRL had at homestead -- to my understanding, they too -- had two very reliable reports. One said they had 28,000. But -- but with only 8,000 paying customers and 20,000 free tickets. And then I had another story said there were 18,000 people there. But 4,000 those who were paying customers. The rest were freebies.

So we have a terrific fan base in champ car. And...

fourrunner
05-12-04, 09:17 PM
Thanks devilmaster :thumbup:

I was close ... I was also going from memory.... your transcript showed Paul was much more "fun" in his responce than I gave him credit for

GO PAUL :cool:

lone_groover
05-12-04, 09:30 PM
The retard at the CNN website who transcibed it put "scheduling" where PLN said "schism"

It's NOT nitpicking.

:thumdown:

fourrunner
05-12-04, 09:35 PM
Good pick up l_G :thumbup:

That sentence doesn't even read right with "scheduling" in there ....

No that's NOT nitpicking!!! :mad:

Clown
05-12-04, 10:14 PM
Is it just my delusion, or it the media becoming illiterate.
I can't even watch the news anymore without getting enraged due to the bad grammer :rolleyes:

lone_groover
05-12-04, 10:25 PM
It's NOT JUST GRAMMAR!

CULTURAL ILLITERACY runs rampant as well. Just a few weeks ago, Gordon Kirby mentioned GUILLERMO Marconi. That's SPANISH! GUGLIELMO
Marconi is/was ITALIAN!!!!.....and what's with calling LEONARDO "da Vinci"?
Educated people refer to the prototypical Renaissance Man exclusively as LEONARDO. You DON'T call RAPHAEL or MICHELANGELO by their last name, do you?

:cry:

Railbird
05-12-04, 10:31 PM
yeah, bad grammar always offends me

whatever

I;ll be tuning in to see what Paul's take on the future is or aren'ts.

With Haas's Indy effort remaining one car after all the Honda bucks rumors I'm thinking N/H is still solidly in Champcar.

Could be wrong though as we all know money talks and bs walks.

Heard on my scanner today:

Bruno: "the engine seems to take a long time to get up to speed"

Cam
05-12-04, 11:03 PM

:rofl:

devilmaster
05-12-04, 11:44 PM
wow. :eek:

Ok, for all you guys who went nuts on the grammar.....

I got the transcript from CNN's page... http://www.cnn.com/TRANSCRIPTS/0404/17/lkl.00.html

At the top of the transcript was this disclaimer....

Aired April 17, 2004 - 21:00 ET

THIS IS A RUSH TRANSCRIPT. THIS COPY MAY NOT BE IN ITS FINAL FORM AND MAY BE UPDATED.

:rofl:
Steve

TheGuywho
05-13-04, 03:24 AM
yeah, bad grammar always offends me

whatever

I;ll be tuning in to see what Paul's take on the future is or aren'ts.

With Haas's Indy effort remaining one car after all the Honda bucks rumors I'm thinking N/H is still solidly in Champcar.

Could be wrong though as we all know money talks and bs walks.

believes we have the quote of the month.

Steve99
05-13-04, 05:45 PM
NEWMAN: Well, before I had -- was involved with Broken Wheel road racing, I had had a CanAm team, which was another series.

Now we know what TG has been trying to fix. :rolleyes:

cart7
05-13-04, 10:49 PM
Great interview. Good to see Despain tone himself down.

As for Paul, I'm glad he's on our side. :thumbup:

FanofMario
05-14-04, 01:16 AM
What a guy! His depiction of what Indy used to be was right on. Like Robin Miller's Indy report earlier in the show, Paul told it like it is. The fans don't like the IRL or their business practices. The guy was a breath of fresh air! Too bad Windbag and company couldn't have had Paul live. Regardless, it was refreshing! :thumbup:

Warlock!
05-14-04, 07:07 AM
What a guy! His depiction of what Indy used to be was right on. Like Robin Miller's Indy report earlier in the show, Paul told it like it is. The fans don't like the IRL or their business practices. The guy was a breath of fresh air! Too bad Windbag and company couldn't have had Paul live. Regardless, it was refreshing! :thumbup:
DAmmit... too busy watchin' MXC!

:flame:

Warlock!

4wheeldrifter
05-14-04, 07:48 AM
DAmmit... too busy watchin' MXC!

:flame:

Warlock!

Yeah. I jumped back and forth but ended up missing most of a new episode of MXC because of it. There's always reruns.

Great interview. :thumbup:

Andrew Longman
05-14-04, 12:29 PM
Crap. I fell asleep in front of the tube and missed it.

Anybody got a transcript?

SurfaceUnits
05-14-04, 12:44 PM
Crap. I fell asleep in front of the tube and missed it.

Anybody got a transcript? I will post the audio soon.

anait
05-14-04, 02:18 PM
I will post the audio soon.

Can someone transcribe from the audio? :D My laptop doesn't do WMP. I think it's been cursed. Or blessed, depending on your pov.

devilmaster
05-14-04, 02:19 PM
Can someone transcribe from the audio? :D My laptop doesn't do WMP. I think it's been cursed. Or blessed, depending on your pov.

oh here we go again.... :rolleyes:

I'm in chat if ya need help, anait.... :rofl:

Steve

Cam
05-14-04, 02:26 PM
oh here we go again.... :rolleyes:

I'm in chat if ya need help, anait.... :rofl:

Steve

()#*$&@! Windows media! Make an MP3!

devilmaster
05-14-04, 02:31 PM
()#*$&@! Windows media! Make an MP3!

Nuts to you. :D

Surfaceunits is actually making the audio and he hasn't announced what format he's going to use. :p

Steve

SurfaceUnits
05-14-04, 02:47 PM
Well actually, it will be a reenactment with Porky Paige and Scott Goodyear providing the voices :gomer:

JohnHKart
05-14-04, 06:22 PM
This interview gave me a flashback of driving around listening to Howard Stern...when he runs those actor soundbites at the end of the show and makes fun of them. I think one time he ran a Paul Newman bit and then played a clip of snoring...Mainly because Paul takes a few seconds to get going with what he is saying. Was pretty hilarious. It's funny these days Paul Newman is associated with racing with me, even when I seem him at a race I never think of him as a big celebrity actor.

John

Andrew Longman
05-14-04, 09:52 PM
Well actually, it will be a reenactment with Porky Paige and Scott Goodyear providing the voices :gomer:

To hold you over, here is Robin Miller & Eddie Cheever from Indianapolis TV Sunday night.

LINK (http://www.indybooks.net/data/MillerVsCheever.wmv)

Lets keep this on Newman, but Cheever actually said that if TG had not founded the IRL open wheel today would be in a state of total disaster? Compared to what? Because owners intrinsically can't run a series? The cars would have been dangerous? What a maroon! :mad:

With one series selfish owners could not play both sides to their advantage. Enlightened self interest would prevail. Not to say that an owner led series is inherently better, but it will always be better than a series dominated by a single track owner.

SurfaceUnits
05-15-04, 01:44 AM
Paul Newman on WindTunnel (http://www.indybooks.net/DATA/PaulNewmanWindTunnel.wmv)

fourrunner
05-15-04, 09:23 AM
Surface Units

Great Job .... I heard it the first time, but I listened again to confirm a couple things Paul said and the way he said them ... Just reinforced what a Cool Guy PN is!!

BTW Loved the Intro - I was waiting for Cecil B DeMille to come out and introduce the segment ;)

Insomniac
05-15-04, 12:45 PM
Thanks SurfaceUnits!

oddlycalm
05-15-04, 02:19 PM
Newman's reflections on Indy and the IRL were on the money, as usual. We could use more voices like his, one's that aren't afraid to come out and speak the truth about what has happened.

The part where he contrasts Long Beach to Homestead is hysterical. When he talks about how busy Indianapolis used to be during the month of May you realize how badly TG has damaged the value of the race to the community. As he said, the entire town used to be booked solid for an entire month, and now that's down to two days. Can you imagine what that means to the restaurants and hotels... :shakehead ?

oc

Methanolandbrats
05-15-04, 02:52 PM
Can you imagine what that means to the restaurants and hotels... :shakehead ?

oc Yup, right down to the little people who make extra cash from race weekends. The lawn I park on for the USGP has been rented out by the same family for decades. They said the 500 weekend is dead now compared to the past. I asked them about the crowds for the various events. They said the USGP Crowd was "polite and nice", the Brickyard crowd was "a bunch of drunken rednecks" and the IRL Crowd was "just mean". :D

oddlycalm
05-17-04, 02:50 PM
They said the USGP Crowd was "polite and nice", the Brickyard crowd was "a bunch of drunken rednecks" and the IRL Crowd was "just mean". :D

And there you have it. One of the issues that is often overlooked, but that is absolutely pivotal, is how first time race goers percieve the crowd. If it's not a crowd that they can identify with, the chances they will return are near zero. CART had this nailed IMO, and it is something the dimbulb at IMS simply doesn't get.

In the years that we had qualifying on Saturday followed by a NASCAR West race, it's been amusing to watch the NASCAR crowd arriving simply because of the striking difference in appearence and mannerisms. The bottom line is that unless they are hardcore race fans, most college educated upper income people simply aren't going to feel comfortable or be able to identify with that crowd.

Many of us here are hardcore race fans, and most of us have attended just about every kind of event that you can name, but I have to say that the roadrace audience is the one I would choose every time.

oc

pchall
05-17-04, 03:17 PM
Many of us here are hardcore race fans, and most of us have attended just about every kind of event that you can name, but I have to say that the roadrace audience is the one I would choose every time.

oc

When I really want to introduce someone to motorsports I take them to a road course.

Dirt in your beer or car parts in your lap is not a great introduction to motorsports. But a nice nice walk to the back stretch while the cars roar by works every time.

Andrew Longman
05-17-04, 04:17 PM
Did anyone else catch that Paul said he didn't think about having his name part of the Newman Haas Indy entry until it was too late?

Big of him though to say he didn't want to stand in the way of Carl going if that's what he wanted.