PDA

View Full Version : DP: Charting An International Course

dando
05-12-04, 04:06 PM
Linky (http://speedtv.com/commentary/11016/)

It’s a no brainer, really. Although the CCWS’ recent forays to England and Germany have been pretty dismal failures on the profit and loss sheets, in a dozen years of operation the Surfers Paradise event has not only emerged as a keystone event on the schedule, it serves as a model for all future overseas Champ Car events. To wit, a substantial promoters fee, coupled with team travel allowances and an energetic promotional campaign. If those expenses are subsidized by the government (which, in this case, they are) then so be it.

-Kevin

Jay
05-13-04, 01:59 AM
Excellent article! I agree completely - and hopefully they will get back to Britain, and Europe when the time and opportunity presents itself.

I still have to wonder about the race in Seoul though - you'd think there'd be some information about it now if they were going to sell tickets. At the very least a track map...

SurfaceUnits
05-13-04, 10:23 AM
OWRS Visits Argentina Track for Possible November Race
11-05-2004
El Champ Car visitó el autódromo de Salta

http://www.e-driver.com/ADVSfotos/40a059c9445f2.jpg
El “Martín Miguel de Güemes” podría
recibir al Champ Car en noviembre próximo.

http://www.e-driver.com/noticias/noticia.php3?temID=40&nID=10595

ChampcarShark
05-13-04, 11:08 AM
Great news, europeans are roadracers. I think any road event in europe will be successful.

Also, argentinians are great racing fans. (like brasilians and mexicans) Next to Soccer, racing is the next most popular sport.

SurfaceUnits
05-13-04, 05:02 PM
From Brasilian Website:
Argentine automobile race track prepares to receive Formula CART

According to "e-driver.com", owners of autodromo Miguel de Güemes, located in Salta, Argentina, already plan important improvements in the infrastructure of the circuit in the next months, with the intention to receive a race from Formula CART.

The Auto Club Santa, proprietor of the automobile race track, thinks about constructing a new area of pit boxes to receive the cars from the series and new paddock on top of this construction, to give greater visibility and comfort for the public. The OWRS will go visit the circuit April 28th to verify all the changes that will need to be made.

-------------------------------------------------------------

Another Brasilian sports site is reporting the Emmo deal with Mazzacane and saying that CCWS will add Brasilia, Brasil and Salta for '05 and will drop Milwaukee off the schedule.

And the list of tracks being considered for '05 and beyond

1. SALTA, Argentina
2. BRASÍLiA, Brasil -
3. DURBAN, África do Sul
4. HANNOVER, Alemanha
5. MARSEILLES ou PAU, França -
7. ADRIA ou IMOLA, Itália -
8. JEREZ, Espanha -
9. LONDRES ou SILVERSTONE, Inglaterra -
10. DUBAI, Emirados Árabes -
11. DOHA, Qatar -
12. BEIJING, China -

nrc
05-13-04, 07:05 PM
Blah. I'm very wary of counting on international dates too much. Too many will take too much focus off North America and they simply don't work without a major subsidy from somewhere. If you can find someone willing to write the check, that's all well and good, but it puts your event at the mercy of the check writer.

cart7
05-13-04, 08:38 PM
I'm wondering if these aren't contingency plans in case TG begins undermining CCWS at a number of current road and streets that aren't signed long term (which is most). The list I saw posted at TF that the earl was considering was extensive and was a direct attack at the core of our leagues better races.

devilmaster
05-13-04, 09:07 PM
I'm wondering if these aren't contingency plans in case TG begins undermining CCWS at a number of current road and streets that aren't signed long term (which is most). The list I saw posted at TF that the earl was considering was extensive and was a direct attack at the core of our leagues better races.

I don't believe they are contingency plans against TG, but are the cornerstone of making CCWS viable again.

Unfortunately for the North American fan base, the way to make guaranteed money is to go to some of these new places. Australia is a great example. The Aussie government, said at the courthouse that the race generates 50 to 60 million in direct and indirect revenue for the area. Compare that with 20 or so million the government probably had to underwrite.

Very simply, if you don't have tobacco money, and you don't have major manufacturer money, you need a good source of revenue. Governments are a great source of revenue. They can underwrite and guarantee any check the local promoter needs to write. Why does F1 go to Durban and Turkey while giving up great tracks in Europe? Because, very simply, those governments are willing to pay F1 to be there.

Champcar is no different. It has been well documented how promoters have fallen by the wayside, how CART was forced to self promote at the last minute to save some of these races, and how those races have been a major money drainer on the company. Champcar needs to strengthen the bottom line and they need to do it now. Governments who are willing to pay to bring Champcar to their country is a very smart way of making guaranteed income.

Could we get the Wisconsin state government to underwrite RA? of course not. Hell, Nascar can't get Michigan to build a 4 lane highway to MIS... what chance do we have?

Does that mean that RA is going the way of the dodo? I don't think so. If they can get a few new races in other countries to complement the series, then that can cover the costs of an RA or an MO to be on the sked. The profitable races help the less profitable races.

The most important part of these new races, is making the umbrella group profitable. If Champcar is profitable, then they can filter some monies down to all the teams. This is a working formula. I watched an inside look at Monster Trucking one day. Each truck team is paid to be at an event. And the prize money is symbolic, to make the fans think there is a 'competition'. Teams make enough on appearance fees to support their trucks, and in turn, appearing ensures the series survives. I think Champcar is looking at this model.

Simply, Champcar just wants to be paid to run somewhere. They do not have the finances to promote themselves everywhere they go, and to worry about enough sponsors and tickets to cover costs. That is why a government who can underwrite it is so important. These Australia type of races are important for the financial well being of the company and the series. Once Champcar becomes profitable again, part of the profits can be streamed to the teams, which won't have to rely as much on sponsorship monies, which in turn makes sponsoring a champcar a much more viable option.

Steve

Robstar
05-13-04, 09:41 PM
Well said Steve :thumbup: