PDA

View Full Version : United States signs anti-tobacco treaty

P1
05-12-04, 08:24 AM
Trouble for Roger Penske?

Link (http://www.grandprix.com/ns/ns12871.html)

[/QUOTE]In the biggest blow yet for the tobacco industry, the United States's Health Secretary Tommy G Thompson has signed the World Health Organization's Framework Convention on Tobacco Control, giving the global anti-tobacco treaty a major boost. The signature commits the United States to stamp out tobacco sponsorship as quickly as it possibly can although the current anti-smoking deal has already done much to drive the tobacco industry out of automobile racing.

In a further blow to the tobacco industry Pakistan has decided that it will also be signing the treaty shortly. Pakistan is one of the largest countries in the world (in terms of population) not to have signed up to the deal.

Tobacco companies and racing teams may continue to argue that they will go on with sponsorships, but it is fast becoming clear that such a move is probably going to be detrimental to the image of the sport. The FIA advised all teams to aim to get tobacco out of the sport by 2006 but the federation cannot insist that there is no tobacco money.

Non-tobacco teams are already complaining that the sport's links with tobacco work against them when they try to do new deals because some companies do not want to be seen to have anything to do with an activity which allows tobacco promotion.

The WHO treaty has now been signed by 109 countries.[QUOTE]

Mike Kellner
05-12-04, 08:48 AM
Just last week, on the race broadcast, they were saying that Bernie is demanding an exemption for tobacco ads, or no F1. I suppose he will end up racing on Mars if he refuses to budge on this point.

I think they should ban tobacco if it is that bad. I don't see why a legal product can not be advertised. Pols around the globe want it both ways, making pious speeches and gestures against tobacco, while raking in huge amounts of cash on tobacco taxes.

mk

fourrunner
05-12-04, 10:34 AM
Of course Now that Champ Car has NO Tobacco Sponsorship ... I am in complete support of this Tobacco Advertising Ban, and retract all my previous reasons for being against it !! :thumbup:

JoeBob
05-12-04, 11:04 AM
IIRC, Penske has already said that Marlboro is leaving and he's looking for replacements. I don't remember if he needed a replacement for the 2005 season, or after the 2005 season.

Andrew Longman
05-12-04, 01:04 PM
Tough situation

As outlets become fewer and fewer for tobacco advertising, they each become more valuable.

Its ironic that the pending ban makes the Ferrari sponsorship more valuable to PhilipMorris. Being seen on an airbox in Bahrain during a telecast back to Europe and NA is even more precious when they can't advertise in those countries. That in turn makes the tobacco teams richer relative to the non-tobacco teams that are "doing the right thing" for the sport by turning to other sponserships.

JLMannin
05-12-04, 04:12 PM
So when does Indiana seceed from the US? Indiana has the highest uptake rate per capita for tobacco, IIRC.

RichK
05-12-04, 04:15 PM
Of course Now that Champ Car has NO Tobacco Sponsorship ... I am in complete support of this Tobacco Advertising Ban, and retract all my previous reasons for being against it !! :thumbup:

Ha ha! I guess the good news is that the tobacco ban hurts the IRL more than ChampCar.

nissan gtp
05-12-04, 05:03 PM
Just last week, on the race broadcast, they were saying that Bernie is demanding an exemption for tobacco ads, or no F1. I suppose he will end up racing on Mars if he refuses to budge on this point.
mk

he can probably affort it.. :D