PDA

View Full Version : How much of Bernie's money will it take to get J. Gordon into F1?

Warlock!
05-11-04, 12:45 PM
On Windtunnel last night Dave said that during Gordon's visit to Spain for the F1 race Jeffy didn't completely rule out, without a shadow of a doubt, racing in F1. Evidently that news got to Bernie and he immediately called a meeting with Sir Frank about luring him into the circus. Bernie wants a Yank in F1 in the worst way... Windbag then said Bernie obviously had the cash and they were going to put up an offer "that would test the resolve" of Jeffy's loyalty to NASCAB.

Whaddya think it would take? Schuey kind of money? Jaques kinda money?

Personally, I don't see it happ'nin'... but I hope I'm wrong...

Warlock!

Cam
05-11-04, 01:04 PM
Personally, I don't see it happ'nin'... but I hope I'm wrong...

Warlock!

After hearing some quotes from over the weekend, I think it could happen. As for the how much?, something along the lines of "undisclosed amount" is what it would probably be. ;)

racer2c
05-11-04, 01:32 PM
Boy that sure would shake up the US motorsport world. Jeff Gordon in F1 would be huge. Simply huge!

Gordon shot up in my book after first hearing in multiple interviews that his racing hero was Rick Mears and that he used to dream of racing in the 500. Then he shot up further when I read a Racer magazine interview where he said he was fascinated with F1 and the awesome performance of the F1 machines. He said him and his then wife had gone to an F1 race on their vacation. Then came the Montoya/Gordon at Indy test drive and seeing his flame helmet in that Williams made me really think "Gordon in F1 would be awesome". Then this past weeks F1 pre-show had him in the Jaguar garage and low and behold Gordon had dragged Jimmy Johnson with him to Spain! I can imagine what he told him "hey Jimmy, fly over to Spain with me to check out the F1 race. The cars are unbelievable!" Then when they're in the garage I imagine that he points at the car, elbows Jimmy and says "Now there's a race car". When he was talking to Weber, he had the doe eyed gaze of a boy band groupie and I thought that was cool.
If it happens, I'd be as big a Gordon fan as they come.
If he struck a deal for '05, what could he do to sharpen his road skills in preparation? A few tests and some intense karting? Would that be enough? I think so.

Skater_36
05-11-04, 02:25 PM
I don't think it will happen but who knows. Jeff wouldn't get bottles thrown at him by drunken "fans" in F1. The whole sponsor issue would be the toughest hurdle if he really wanted to make the move. If it did happen it would be the biggest news in auto racing in a long time and could accelerate the decline of NASCAR.

rosawendel
05-11-04, 02:31 PM
I don't think it will happen but who knows. Jeff wouldn't get bottles thrown at him by drunken "fans" in F1. The whole sponsor issue would be the toughest hurdle if he really wanted to make the move. If it did happen it would be the biggest news in auto racing in a long time and could accelerate the decline of NASCAR.

i seem to recall that that happened the first time f-1 went to indy... i think there was a video of it floating around the internet...

Hink
05-11-04, 03:50 PM
Yeah - That was G Massacane getting a beer on his car's nose as he exited.

Warlock!
05-11-04, 04:04 PM
Yeah - That was G Massacane getting a beer on his car's nose as he exited.

Mazzacane's beer link (http://www.mellanzer.com/Mattmisc/indi7.asf)

Warlock!

Skater_36
05-11-04, 05:20 PM
Mazzacane's beer link (http://www.mellanzer.com/Mattmisc/indi7.asf)

Warlock!

I started wondering about that after I posted. I also thought that no one could guarantee what would happen if he beat a Ferrari at Imola.

gjc2
05-11-04, 05:48 PM
Jeff Gordon has a "lifetime" contract with Rick Hendrick. Rick would have to be in on any deal that's made.

I would love to see it happen.

George

SteveH
05-11-04, 06:45 PM
As much as I would like to see it happen, I would only want it to happen if Jeff were to be successful. The importing American talent into F1 has had a lousy track record. The next one to head over to F1 needs to be the right one, not just the popular one. Look at Michael Andretti, he failed. Then you could arguably state that Zanardi was an American racing failure in F1, followed by daMatta, which is rumored to be out after this year. Even though Zanardi and daMatta aren't Americans, they were American graduates (yeah, I know Zanardi was in F1 before CART). I think Jeff is a few yers too late. He certainly is in awe of F1, you could see that in the pre-race show before Sunday's race. He has the respect for the sport but I think he's a few years late.

pinniped
05-11-04, 08:19 PM
I have to disagree with that. In the not-too-recent past we exported Jacques Villeneuve and Mario Andretti. Zanardi came up through f3000 and grew up in Italy. He is as American as Jarno Trulli (okay, maybe Mauricio Gugelmin is a better example). And of course I am a huge fan. Without addressing whether it was he or the car that failed, there are scores of drivers who fail in f1 from any country, regardless of whether CART/OWRS was their last stop before going there. There is no pox on "imported Americans" as quite a few have won f1 races over the years. There just haven't been a whole lot to choose from, Andretti, Michael was one of the most recent and his problem was one of committment.

Methanolandbrats
05-11-04, 08:43 PM
I'd like to see Jeff give it a go. He's got the intelligence and balls. He may still have the car control he had in his sprint days. He got rid of that stupid broad, so he would'nt be handicapped in the way FMAndretti was.

tomahawk
05-11-04, 10:11 PM
I would love to see it happen...but I hope that he would not make the same mistakes that Mikey made...he would have to move to Monaco, test thousands of miles, really make a dedication to success...otherwise, it would just be an embarrassment...he'd have to know that the Williams would be competitive and that he could get some podiums...

I've had the sense, in the past, that F1 wanted Americans in the sport but not to succeed at it...I would hope that this could/would be different.

Of course from Jeff's point of view, the F1 chicks would be a fringe benefit...

:tomahawk

Cam
05-11-04, 10:35 PM
Of course from Jeff's point of view, the F1 chicks would be a fringe benefit...
:tomahawk

He needs to drive for Eddie Jordan then? :D