PDA

View Full Version : Big Bird (aka our new/used truck) comes home today

anait
05-10-04, 03:46 PM
After waiting for several weeks, and after driving out last night to pick it up only to discover the seller had no dealer plates to give us, tonight we're finally bringing our Ford 250, bright yellow/orange, diesel truck home. Well used truck (formerly a Saskatchewan Highways government vehicle), but in excellent shape and ready for a conversion to run on used vegetable oil.

Hubby no longer has to commute in the van, I no longer have to pick up/drop off kids in the less-than-family-friendly Civic.

But as I drove the Civic into the city this morning, (we're going to park it at our friend's garage, so he can work on it a little at a time), I was a little sad. That little car has done us so well, and it's so much fun to drive. Mr anait wants to sell it while it's still worth a bit, I want to fix it up and keep it for #1 daughter to drive in 4 years....oh, who am I kidding, I love that car. I love tooling around in that red hatchback. When I got out of it this morning, it crossed my mind that I might not drive it again. :( I want my stick shift back!!! I've been babying that car for so long, I know all its quirks...

Sigh. Times change. We do need a truck to haul construction materials in, and this truck has lots of power. Maybe I can convince hubby to keep it. Maybe I'll just get over it. :p

Anteater
05-10-04, 08:50 PM
Isn't it funny how you can become so fond of a collection of metal, plastic, and rubber? I drove my '86 Mustang until it had over 250,000 miles on it. Couldn't get it to pass smog inspection without a lot of expensive work, so I donated it to the Salvation Army. The tow truck came for it the morning we were leaving for Laguna Seca; I had to go inside the house because I couldn't bear to watch them take it away. :cry: That car was nothing special, but it stood me in good stead for many years.

The new truck sounds lovely, though!

anait
05-10-04, 09:15 PM
The new truck sounds lovely, though!

:rofl: :eek: It just arrived. It's HUGE!!! My 6'4 husband has to stand on a ladder to get a good look under the hood!! :laugh:

cart7
05-10-04, 10:33 PM
Runs on used vegetable oil huh?

I guess all that used veggie oil that's been piling up in your bedroom can finally be put to another use. :p

racer2c
05-10-04, 10:40 PM
:rofl: :eek: It just arrived. It's HUGE!!! My 6'4 husband has to stand on a ladder to get a good look under the hood!! :laugh:

6'4? I've got him beat. ;)

chop456
05-11-04, 12:59 AM
Burning the greasel, eh?

Excellent. Thank you for being part of the solution.