PDA

View Full Version : Dave Richards Comment Prior to Spanish GP

mueber
05-10-04, 09:05 AM
During the pregame show for the Spanish Grand Prix on Speed Channel, the topic was the proposed rules changes in F-1 to cut costs. I don't remember his exact words, but did anyone besides me let out a little cheer when Dave Richards of BAR Honda said something like, "I have to consider the well being of the sport as a whole as well as what's best for my team?"

Maybe we should send a copy of the transcript to Penske, Ganassi, Patrick, Nunn, Rahal, and, oh yeah, Honda!

racer2c
05-10-04, 10:39 AM
During the pregame show for the Spanish Grand Prix on Speed Channel, the topic was the proposed rules changes in F-1 to cut costs. I don't remember his exact words, but did anyone besides me let out a little cheer when Dave Richards of BAR Honda said something like, "I have to consider the well being of the sport as a whole as well as what's best for my team?"

Maybe we should send a copy of the transcript to Penske, Ganassi, Patrick, Nunn, Rahal, and, oh yeah, Honda!

Isn't that exactly the comment that all of the traitors used to justify their move?

Jag_Warrior
05-10-04, 11:05 AM
I'm not sure that the Followers of Judas ever considered what was good for the sport. I think they mostly claimed to be doing "what was right for our sponsors". Rahore looked like the biggest horse's @ss of the bunch, as he left his sponsors behind.

If Ecclestone really cared about the sport (and his sponsors), he'd b!tch slap Tony George and tell him to make peace one way or the other. As American open wheel/formula car racing becomes less popular, that hurts Formula One in the U.S. The U.S. remains the most critical automobile market, so if F1 isn't popular in the U.S., and that's where you put the bulk of your racing budget, you're losing out somewhere. Renault isn't here. Ferrari doesn't care (though Maserati sales will drive revenues as time passes). And Toyota has it covered with NASCAR. But what about Mercedes, BMW, Honda and Jaguar? Why not build or support a major racing platform here? Compared to F1, it would cost next to nothing... if run right.

racer2c
05-10-04, 11:43 AM
In numerous interviews I remember Penske in particular claiming that the sport would be better off with one series and that his decision was a move in the spirit of unification. Remember that all of the jumpers except Mo Nunn and FAF flip flopped in their 'excuses' on why they were leaving CART. "I'm going where my sponsor wants to be." "We're better off with one series." "I'm going where my sponsor wants to be." "We're better off with one series.” I’m going where my sponsor wants to be." "We're better off with one series."

Hot Daug
05-10-04, 11:48 AM

Send the first copy to Adrian Fernandez.

Rogue Leader
05-12-04, 07:48 AM
Penske left CART for one reason... Marlboro thought the IRL would give them more exposure, and they told Roger thats where he must be, they assumed CART was going to tank soon. And so he went. No matter what he says. (I heard this from a couple insiders).

As for F1 if this "manufacturers series" goes through against F1 that sport will be shot just like they screwed up open wheel here. Defection and re-creating a series like that just DOESNT work. Supposedly the manufacturers series threat was squashed till this newest round of rules change ideas. I agree with many of the rules changes, but they have to be careful, because of it does go through its going to destroy international open wheel racing. While F1 is boring a bit now, fix it right, dont blame the teams for the nature of the beast.

Rob Devlin
05-12-04, 08:06 AM
Originally Posted by mueber

Isn't that exactly the comment that all of the traitors used to justify their move?

Does this mean BAR is jumping to the IRL?

Andrew Longman
05-12-04, 11:24 AM
As I was listening to the proposed changes I thought that F1 would start to look a lot like Champcar; engines that last multiple races, spec ECU, lots of spec parts, one tire, etc.

I think that's worked well for Champcar, mostly out of need, but it takes away much of what F1 is about. It also does not address the real need.

Team in all motorsports, IMO, will spend any and all money that is available to them if they think it will help them win. Controlling costs never evens the field, it only lowers the cost of entry. While that is important in order to fill the field, the most important thing the series can do is help raise the revenue side of the equation. That comes from caring for the product, fans and sponsors. It comes from marketing savvy that makes sponsorship valuable and attractive.

Champcar is controlling cost to match the available revenue while also raising the revenue side. Before F1 goes too hog wild trying to lower costs and possibly badly damage their product, they need to raise the revenue side by 1) getting more interest in the NA market, and 2) get teams off the tobacco habit that is pushing them out of the Euro market (and hurting them in NA too). China is a huge and important step for them, but the middle east will not/should not replace Europe.

FTG
05-12-04, 12:01 PM
Penske left CART for one reason... Marlboro thought the IRL would give them more exposure,

BS: Penske left because Mr. France gave him $600 million worth of ISC stock, and told him to leave.

I don't care what you heard, $600 million speaks louder.

Rogue Leader
05-12-04, 08:45 PM
BS: Penske left because Mr. France gave him $600 million worth of ISC stock, and told him to leave.

I don't care what you heard, $600 million speaks louder.

Trust me the fact that the IRL is the ONLY mainstream TV exposure that Marlboro gets, was definitely part of his move. Unfotnately CART could barely offer that, but the IRL could, they knew, and he went.

Either way (and both ways) it was about money like this, and nothing else, despite what Roger may say.