PDA

View Full Version : Does Anyone Else Here Watch Deadwood On HBO?

Jag_Warrior
05-10-04, 01:17 AM
I finally got back into the Sopranos and started catching Deadwood just after. Was anyone else completely creeped out by tonight's episode? Unlike the PC crowd, when the "coke ho" was whacked a couple of years ago on the Sopranos, I don't so much have a problem with what happened tonight on Deadwood (eh, it's TV folks!). But the scene and the way it was played... When this seemingly "sweet lil girl" is blindly reaching for a gun held in front of her and the saloon keeper says something like, Darlin', your skull is probably cracked. The gun is actually a couple of feet to the right. Dayuuum! :eek: That's a scene I'll remember for a LONG time. I thought the saloon keeper at The Gem was evil (but they're now making him more human and sympathetic). This guy has him covered!

If you don't like Westerns, are bothered by guns, vulgarities and violence (you probably don't click on threads with my name on them anway), you won't like this show, or especially this episode. But this show has some very good actors and some fairly witty writing... along with more curse words than my dad had when I came home at 4AM as a teen. The only one on the show that hasn't said fu## at least once is this little Swedish girl... and she doesn't speak!

Between this creepy episode (man, that girl's head and her eye!) and Ziggy screaming "chicken bullsh!^!", I doubt I'll be able to sleep tonight. :gomer:

Classic Apex
05-10-04, 11:22 AM
Yep, I've been hooked on it since its first epsiode this season. I remember seeing the first trailer for the show a fe wmonths back and thought to myself "a western? oh please...HBO's lost it."

Yet there that stupid western show was right after the Sopranos. Sucked right in.

Al the bartender/owner just absolutely kills me with his bad attitude and "colorful" vocabulary. :rofl:

Ankf00
05-10-04, 11:31 AM
100% agreement on how screwed up that ep was...
entertaining show.

RacinM3
05-10-04, 11:42 AM
Al Swearengen has a perfectly appropriate last name. I can't believe the writer's luck in that he was actually a real person, as were most of the people in the series (although I believe "loosly" would be a perfect term for how the majority of the writing portrays actual history).

Swearengen has been the best character in the series from episode 1. I loved it when he walked down the stairs, looked at a few of his ho's who were just standing around, and yelled "GET TO ****IN'!!

Jag_Warrior
05-10-04, 01:55 PM
100% agreement on how screwed up that ep was...
entertaining show.

Maybe because I've been following the Iraqi abuse scandal all weekend (plus I'm so full of allergy meds I'd set off a drug sniffing dog right now), but that episode... that scene really got next to me. Creeps me out everytime I think about her head and eye... and trying to reach out for that pistol. Sheez! The brutality of the fight, when Bullock was fighting with the Indian, changed him. Seems the brutality of the con girl's death will change the cute madame. I hope they don't PC it and dumb it down, and turn her into a ho with a heart of gold (regardless, Kim Dickens is rather easy on the eyes. :o ).

I know it's probably over the top in many ways, but compared to the singing cowboys and B.S. they tried to teach us in school about manifest destiny, I think this is pretty good stuff. I generally hate TV, but I admit... I'm hooked!

P.S. Seems no one was quite as goofed as I was on this. You guys take 6 Zyrtecs and watch it again... tell me what ya think then. :p

Jag_Warrior
05-10-04, 02:02 PM
Al Swearengen has a perfectly appropriate last name. I can't believe the writer's luck in that he was actually a real person, as were most of the people in the series (although I believe "loosly" would be a perfect term for how the majority of the writing portrays actual history).

Swearengen has been the best character in the series from episode 1. I loved it when he walked down the stairs, looked at a few of his ho's who were just standing around, and yelled "GET TO ****IN'!!

On top of everything else on my mind, I gotta keep up with one more: no sn### grabbin'! :rofl:

The guy who plays E.B. ("I'm Larry. This is my brother Darryl. And this is my other brother Darryl." - didn't realize it was him for awhile) is another of my favorite characters. A former Hill Street Blues guy is involved with the show. No surprise... there's some great writing here.

RacinM3
05-10-04, 02:24 PM
Great Al Swearengen lines (best I can remember them):

Don't make me play that game where I have to drag you words out. Declare, or shut the f*** up.

More great lines here. (Caution - language, but it is *&%#$'d out, for the most part.)

http://www.hbo.com/deadwood/episode/bestlines.shtml

Swearengen has a LOT more classic lines that aren't listed here.