PDA

View Full Version : The Media Hype Has Begun

FanofMario
05-10-04, 12:01 AM
God---to live in the midst of such unadulturated propaganda! :shakehead Tonight on the WXIN, FOX Sunday Night Sports they actually reported that there was a huge crowd for first day! (BTW, most of these reports were given by first time reporters! :rolleyes: ) Jesus the hype about an autograph session just about made this fan sick.

Spicoli and others like myself who have experienced growing up at the track just can't fathom how tough it is to hear such crap being hyped by Nation and Co.(all of the Indy TV media IMO) when in reality NOBODY really gives a **** about the race anymore.

It is going to be long month of hype. :shakehead

Lizzerd
05-10-04, 12:18 AM
God---to live in the midst of such unadulturated propaganda! :shakehead Tonight on the WXIN, FOX Sunday Night Sports they actually reported that there was a huge crowd for first day! (BTW, most of these reports were given by first time reporters! :rolleyes: ) Jesus the hype about an autograph session just about made this fan sick.

Spicoli and others like myself who have experienced growing up at the track just can't fathom how tough it is to hear such crap being hyped by Nation and Co.(all of the Indy TV media IMO) when in reality NOBODY really gives a **** about the race anymore.

It is going to be long month of hype. :shakehead

WRTV-6 tonight had a reporterette in the empty stands saying there would be a half million fans here on May 30...
:shakehead

FanofMario
05-10-04, 12:32 AM
Jesus, Gaylio, Curt Cavin and Dave Calabro together gushing now on Channel 13! :cry: :gomer: You can't escape this crap! :mad:

Rogue Leader
05-10-04, 08:01 AM
Check out this months issue of RACER magazine. Theres a story on the 500 called "500 ways to lose" and they have a pic of the cars going down the front straight from last year. Look closely at the stands and you'll see the people are cleverly spaced out, and theres a LOT of empty space... pretty lame!

Madmaxfan2
05-10-04, 09:35 AM
I feel sorry for the people in Indy who have to listen to that bilge on the TV and radio stations. I would barf sometime in the month.

Ed_Severson
05-10-04, 09:44 AM
I caught the "half-a-million people" comment last night, too.

Did they even have that many people at the race when it was popular? I can believe 400,000, but 500,000? I doubt that.

Needless to say, they'll be lucky to get a quarter of a million for this year's bore.

Spicoli
05-10-04, 09:48 AM
Yeah.

They keep pimping and pimping and pimping. But 2 things come to mind:

1. Its as if all these media outlets are being PAID (or somehow compenstaed in another way - such as AD PURCHASES!) to schlep this bogus line of ficticious reality.

2. Calabro - and just about everyone but Don Hein & Robin Miller, are new to the scene since that dreadful year of 1996.

So:

1. They HAVE TO see it that way.

2. They are ignorant of the facts.

Either way - its all FUBAR's right now. :(

nrc
05-10-04, 10:29 AM
Local news always does human interest stories when the county fair kicks off. Few people outside Marion country care one bit more about the pole at Indy than they do about which hog wins the blue ribbon at the Marion County Fair.

RaceGrrl
05-10-04, 10:48 AM
Yeah, I read an article that Sarah is a contender this year.

racer2c
05-10-04, 11:45 AM
Local news always does human interest stories when the county fair kicks off. Few people outside Marion country care one bit more about the pole at Indy than they do about which hog wins the blue ribbon at the Marion County Fair.

But you got to admit the giant vegetable contests rock! Nothing funnier than a giant vegetable. :gomer:

Madmaxfan2
05-10-04, 11:49 AM
The women love the giant cucumbers! ;)

pchall
05-10-04, 11:58 AM
Yeah, I read an article that Sarah is a contender this year.

You'r not trying to insult the hogs at the Marion County Fair, are you? The only Blue Ribbon she'll get this year will come from Pabst.

Madmaxfan2
05-10-04, 12:31 PM
Even hogs love giant cucumbers, esp. Sarah.

Napoleon
05-10-04, 02:14 PM
Did they even have that many people at the race when it was popular? I can believe 400,000, but 500,000? I doubt that.

At its height the number was in the 300k range.

Ankf00
05-10-04, 03:09 PM
I'm waiting any minute for Blue Bayou to show up now claiming he had to count every single seat at Indy from sattelite imagery and it totalled over 400K

Spicoli
05-10-04, 03:32 PM
At its height the number was in the 300k range.

Numbers I have heard are 325k for I497.5; 175k for USGP.

Last year USGP was just over 100k.

rabbit
05-10-04, 03:37 PM
I've been to all three -- Indy 500, Brickyard 400 and USGP -- and the Brickyard is the most crowded bar none. :(

Spicoli
05-10-04, 06:12 PM
I've been to all three -- Indy 500, Brickyard 400 and USGP -- and the Brickyard is the most crowded bar none. :(

For sure. And the numbers for hickyard 4 Hunnert are all reserved seats. Only the other 2 offer GA's.

Watch out for the lights come May 05.

"Lights, Camera, traction..."

Those words are there fopr a reason!

cart7
05-10-04, 09:50 PM
I'm guessing during the height of the infield follies in the mid to late 70's, there were easily 50k in the infield and at least another 10k outside passed out,face down on 16th street, in the Coke lot and the North 40 who at one point on Saturday night had every intention of going into the track on Sunday. That aside, I'm guessing around 300k seating total at Indy. So 350k at it's peak.

cart7
05-10-04, 09:55 PM
Places I'm expecting lot's of aluminum showing.

T3 - Last year lots of empty aluminum in Sections starting at the entrance of T3. Then, first 3 to 5 rows were empty.

North short chute - This has seen more and more bare aluminum showing each year.

NW Vista - low rows empty.

H stand - sections empty.

North Tower Terrace - even from my bad angle last year, you could tell there was a lot of empty aluminum on the North end of pit lane.

I'm not going anymore and have given up my tickets but I'll call my buddy in Martinsville Sunday night and get the lowdown. (If he's even going)