PDA

View Full Version : I am NOT fishing for compliments

rabbit
05-09-04, 11:09 PM
From Sunday's paper...
http://www.limanews.com/story.php?IDnum=5868

Be honest. What do you like about it? What parts are spot on? What parts suck? What parts are way off base. Honest (even blunt) input is appreciated. :thumbup:

nrc
05-09-04, 11:19 PM
Seems to me like you pretty much nailed it.

RaceGrrl
05-09-04, 11:24 PM
From Sunday's paper...
http://www.limanews.com/story.php?IDnum=5868

Be honest. What do you like about it? What parts are spot on? What parts suck? What parts are way off base. Honest (even blunt) input is appreciated. :thumbup:

Overall, a good article. I do disagree with two things you said, and I think most die-hard ChampCar fans who understand how Tony George destroyed Indy will agree on this...

" Now the only thing worth paying attention to is the race. "

I don't pay attention to the race now. There's no reason to watch. There's no drama, no passion, and as far as the "racing" is concerned, little driver skill or talent is required.

"Wake me up when the race is on. "

For me, it's more like: 'wake me up when the race is over.'

nrc
05-09-04, 11:29 PM
Actually it's not even a matter of waking me up. I won't be sleeping, I'll be off doing something else without the slightest care about the race or it's outcome.

Ziggy
05-09-04, 11:33 PM
I like it. Good job

Ziggy

FanofMario
05-09-04, 11:47 PM
Well done! :thumbup: We could use that kind of perspective in these parts. :gomer:

pchall
05-10-04, 07:27 AM
All I disagree with is the contention that the race is still worth paying attention to on a Sunday at the end of May. It started in my teens, but I used to have a tradition of washing and waxing my dad's car and my own while listening to the race on the radio. This went on for years and years. Lately I am not even motivated enough about Indy to get off the couch to continue this rite of Spring. I wind up doing a quick wash and wax on whatever Saturday morning I have free.

mueber
05-10-04, 08:20 AM
Yours is a more moderate view than mine. Mine is that the sooner the race dies the better off we will all be, but it takes balls the size of cantaloupes to publish that article in the Midwest. Congrats.

Madmaxfan2
05-10-04, 09:41 AM
This story is amazing to tell it like it is. We may quibble about if we even care about the race, but such honesty and research based on a sports page story is amazing, especially for a Ohio newspaper. This guy must be a real fan, not some hack on the bottom of the pecking order in the sports dept. assigned to cover auto racing.

Napoleon
05-10-04, 02:11 PM
This guy must be a real fan, not some hack on the bottom of the pecking order in the sports dept. assigned to cover auto racing.

You do know that rabbit wrote that?

Cam
05-10-04, 02:23 PM
You do know that rabbit wrote that?

Maybe rabbit could be a guest on The Truth sometime? :D

Kiwifan
05-10-04, 02:26 PM
Well written Sir. :thumbup: I wonder if some folk may read it and feel that lump in the throat when they know you are right........

Rusty.

anait
05-10-04, 03:08 PM
Good job.

Maybe a bit more explanation as to exactly why Pole Day and Bump Day no longer mean anything. You do say that the field is shrinking, that people no longer are desperate to set a new record or to push their equipment...but the casual fan or non-fan may want more details. When I myself read:

Under George, qualifying and bumping, two of the pillars of the month of May in Indy, have been rendered inconsequential.

...I'll nod my head in agreement, and start discussing with fellow race aficionados the reasons why. But John Doe stick-and-ball fan might wonder, 'Why are the numbers shrinking? Did the equipment change? The rules? The purse? What are the politics?'

lone_groover
05-10-04, 09:14 PM
:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Bully for you, big guy!

:)

manic mechanic
05-10-04, 09:26 PM
Nicely done, Rabbit. :thumbup:

I wonder if anait isn't on to something though: Has anyone ever done a "development curve" comparison for the two series?

I'd venture to say the EARL "curve" might explain a few things to the "stick and ball" set. ;)

manic

Hot Rod Otis
05-10-04, 09:53 PM
:thumbup: :thumbup: Nice job Rabbit. I agree 100%.

Robstar
05-10-04, 10:01 PM
Same here - well written :thumbup:

cart7
05-10-04, 10:10 PM
:thumbup: Nice job John. I might have gone on to explain to the average reader just how big Pole day used to be and what drama bump day used to bring. Now it's just a memory that keeps fading further away into the distance. For some, the whole Nascar experience has erased any memory of what Indy used to be about and just how great OW racing was in this country. :(

Madmaxfan2
05-11-04, 12:04 PM
Rabbit, still writing for that paper? How long before Freddie Nation talks to the editor to set him straight? Keep it up.