PDA

View Full Version : Mike Danton & David Frost (Or How I Learned To Stop Worrying And Love Hockey Moms)

devilmaster
05-09-04, 01:38 AM
http://images.tsn.ca/images/stories/20040507/danton_60852.jpg

This has really been bugging me tonite. I need to vent.

If you've followed a little bit of the hockey world this past month, (and even if you don't) you've probably heard of the guy in the pic above, Mike Danton. Danton is now beginning his court battle for trying to hire a hitman to kill (which prosecution argues was) his agent, David Frost. Frost continues to claim that he was not the intended target.

Now Danton, (who legally changed his last name from Jefferson, to remove all contact from his estranged family) released a statement without the knowledge of his lawyers, but arranged through Frost, the agent and the man prosecution says that Danton wanted killed, because Frost was threatening to ruin his career by talking to the hockey club about Danton's alcohol abuse and promiscuity.

Confused yet? It gets even stranger. Here is Danton's first statement since being arrested.

"First of all, I'd like to thank my agent, Dave Frost, and his family for all their time and support. Also, my close friends for their co-operation and involvement. I would also like to express my appreciation to the St. Louis Blues organization and players for their caring and support."

"With regards to the Jeffersons, their recent publicity rants are nothing new to myself. The deceptions and lies throughout the past three weeks are a sign of the erratic lifestyle that I have lived. I have changed my last name to fully distance myself from the Jeffersons and, in no means, have had or will have anything to do with them in the future."

"This abuse occurred as early as I can remember and also continued until the time I left the household. I was constantly degraded and put down at early ages."

"As mentioned before, I was neglected many daily necessities, as well as the abandonment of love, care and direction."

"One pair of track pants and two t-shirts created an abundance of embarrassment for a young boy going to school such as myself, coupled with the fact that I wasn't given lunch to eat or money to buy lunch. Dinner was rare and, on many occasions, I would visit friends' houses in search of food and washroom use, due to the fact that there was no toilet paper at the Jefferson house."

"I wanted to share this small amount of information with you to set the record straight and show that there are two sides to the story. Also, that I have had no interest and will have no interest in the future to have any contact whatsoever with the Jeffersons."

Needless to say, after reading that, I was interested to find info on this agent David Frost, whom Mike's estranged father called "A Monster".

I found two articles, both written by Steve Simmons of the Toronto Sun. One in 1999 when Frost was a coach and later agent in the Toronto minor hockey leagues, and Danton was one of his star pupils. He retold his story on April 21st of this year. It, IMHO, is a chilling story of what parents might accept to get their child to the top, and a chilling story of the controlling power one man can wield on others. Here is the April 21st article.

Wed, April 21, 2004

SECRET AGENT
Mike Danton entangled in David Frost's world
By Steve Simmons, Toronto Sun

When you enter the closed and disturbing world of David Frost, you are entering a murky place of threats and, as Mike Danton has found out, a place of danger. Danton, the local kid hockey player once known as Mike Jefferson, remains in a California jail accused of attempting to arrange a paid assassination. Frost, his former coach, roommate, confidant, and now, officially, his agent, has dismissed reports that he was the target.

Danton, 23, a St. Louis Blues forward, was arrested Friday on charges that he and a 19-year-old St. Louis woman conspired and used a telephone across state lines to set up a killing.

The fallout eventually will be determined by the U.S. justice system. The prelude, though, from those of us who saw trouble coming as early as 1999, is sadly and disturbingly predictable.

Five hockey seasons ago, the St. Michael's Majors traded four of their best players to the Barrie Colts in a deal that from the outside appeared to make little sense. Out of curiosity more than anything else, I asked Terry Koshan, who covered junior hockey at the time: "Why would St. Mike's do this?"

"They want to get away from Frost," Koshan answered.

"Who's Frost?" I asked.

"You don't want to know," he said.

Thus begun an exhaustive one-month journey into a man lurking in the hockey shadows, with truths being twisted, controlling a clique of "his boys" and whispers and rumours (not of a sexual nature) -- but hardly anyone willing to go on the record to say what they knew.

People were afraid of him. They were afraid if they spoke out against him they would be the ones injured in the end. They were concerned if they said what they knew about how he operated, about the control he had over his kids, they would end up punished. I interviewed almost 100 people, many of them refusing to go on the record, about Frost, including a 140-minute session with him at what was then his Brampton home, and the more I learned, the more cryptic the story became.

"The guy is a lunatic," Rob Ciccarelli, Dino's brother and owner of the Sarnia Sting, said at the time. "What worried me is he had a cult-like attraction for (Jefferson/Danton). I have never in my history seen anything like that. The kid totally did everything that Frost said. It was shocking."

Five years ago, Steve Jefferson, now Mike's estranged father, told me that "Dave Frost is the best thing that ever happened to my kid."

Five years later, he says his son, who changed his name, has to "get the hell away" from Frost.

The more I learned about David Frost and the more people I asked about him, the more nervous, apparently, he became.

During a five-day span after interviewing him at his home, before the column appeared in March 1999, Frost telephoned the Toronto Sun sports department at least 15 times issuing threats of lawsuits even though he had no idea what was going to be reported about him. He often called, made a point, then called back a few minutes later. He also called my home on a number of occasions -- as did unidentified others on his behalf, some of them hanging up immediately, some of them threatening harm if the story appeared.

It was about that time Mike Jefferson called, after numerous requests to interview him were denied. And it was about that time Sheldon Keefe, another Frost insider, called, suddenly available to be interviewed.

In the years that passed, long after the story appeared and the hockey world went back to its whispering and disdain for Frost, Mike Jefferson would occasionally phone me, just to let me know he was doing all right.

He phoned after he walked out on the New Jersey Devils and said he was trying to make it as an actor in Hollywood. He told me on another occasion that he "had straightened his life out" and that everything was fine. He was like a little boy searching for approval.

The kind of approval that Frost, apparently, provided him with.

The approval that came from the David Frost who once was found guilty of assaulting a hockey player on his own bench, once suspended indefinitely for allegedly falsifying a document (he denies the charge) by the GTHL, once suspended indefinitely by the Ontario Hockey Association, and yet somehow was allowed to be certified as an agent by the National Hockey League Players' Association, even though old Frost associate Bob Goodenow was fully aware of the history. Mike Gillis, the player agent who once utilized Frost as a birddog, has distanced himself from Frost, almost denying there was ever any kind of professional relationship.

DAUGHTER MARRIED FROST

And one of the families associated with Frost, a well-known hockey name, has watched as their teenage daughter inexplicably left home, moved in and eventually married Frost. "I've asked my daughter to come home," the mother said, pleading that her identity be protected. "My daughter is an idiot. She will not listen. I said to her 'This is the FBI we're talking about here. Now's your chance. Get away from him and come home.'

"I don't know what control he has over her. But he has always had this control."

A control unexplained. A control witnessed by many who have watched with trepidation a control they couldn't understand.

"Success breeds jealousy," David Frost told me in 1999. "I kind of like the controversy as long as I know what I'm doing is best for the player.

"I don't care who I rub the wrong way. I'm not about to change. Not for anybody."

If you've read this far, thank you, but I won't post the 1999 award winning article in its entirety, but here is a link to it. http://www.sunmedia.ca/DunlopAwards/frost.html

I experienced something very similar last year to the investigation by Steve Simmons. As a trustee, we had to deal with a football coach who acted inappropriately and put his players, in the board's opinion, at risk. This football coach, who has a track record of some questionable actions and poor judgement, is a winner wherever he has been, and when it came time to decide to disipline him or not, I was swamped with the parents of kids who were more worried that banning the coach from a playoff game was going to wreck the scholarships that were coming their way than the coach's actions which put the kids in harm's way in the first place.

Who to believe in the above story? In the end, if the stories of David Frost are true, its tragic that he won't be the one punished.

My hope is that alot of the parents out there who hope for that multi-million dollar sports contract, (no matter what sport) or put their 6 year old through beauty pagents, will read this and wake up.

My cynic self knows the answer.

Steve

Dvdb
05-09-04, 02:29 PM
Living in St. Louis, this story has dominated the news the past few weeks.

The story just gets odder and odder. First of all, who would use a 19 year-old female college student to look for a contract killer?

Danton's Mom, Aunt, and younger brother show up for his first court date, after a three-yeat estrangement, and he makes no verbal or eye contact with them?

The agent, and allegedly the target, still denies he was the intended victim while the prosecuter and police officials say he was? And also blames the painkillers and sleeping pills for Danton's frame of mind?

And it is still a bit confusing, but there was a rumor that Frost and Danton 'shared' an apartment.

As the facts slowly come out, I kind of feel sorry for Danton and am starting to think he is the real victim in this.

Should be an interesting summer here in St. Louis.........plus we have the Leonard Little DUI case pending

Jay
05-09-04, 09:57 PM
I've been following this story for a while now and am as confused as anyone...

The evidence that's come out in the press seems to point to David Frost as being at the centre of it all - with him having brainwashed Mike Jefferson/Danton and the other players he's dealt with. I'd be interested to know about Sheldon Keefe and his relationship with his parents...

Regardless of what really happened, the one clear thing is that Mike Jefferson/Danton is need of some serious help - and part of that help will be to get away from Frost (regardless of what really happened).

I also hope the NHLPA has taken notice and will bar Frost from representing NHL players - though from what I've read Frost is actually friends with Bob Goodenow.

tllips
05-10-04, 09:57 AM
What I don't understand is:

If Danton/Jefferson is being held without bond, how does his alleged victim release a statement on his behalf? Would Frost be able to speak to him in jail?

Dvdb
05-10-04, 11:39 AM
Get's better.

Apparently Frost (agent/target) called a few media folks asking how Danton could reach them to issue the statement that cites his crappy childhood.

One of the radio guys was on the tube last night and said as he was chasing this story down, he would ask various people on Frost's side several questions. The answers were almost word for word from all of them.

devilmaster
05-14-04, 01:24 PM
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp?id=83896

This story gets a little wierder.... but better for Danton, even though he doesn't know it.

EAST ST. LOUIS, Ill. (AP) - St. Louis Blues player Mike Danton, accused by federal prosecutors of trying to hire a hit man, must refrain from talking with the man prosecutors say he wanted dead.

U.S. District Judge Michael Reagan ordered that no contact take place between Danton and his agent, David Frost, but said at a Friday status conference that Frost's family may continue to contact and visit the hockey player.

"Your best friends now are your attorneys," Reagan said. "It's best to keep your mouth shut."

Steve

devilmaster
07-16-04, 09:11 PM
http://tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp?id=91264

Story Update: Danton Pleads Guilty as part of a plea bargain. Unfortunately, another part of that plea bargain is that no one ever mentions who the intended victim was.

Steve

RacinM3
07-17-04, 12:24 AM
:shakehead

So that's it, huh? Everyone sees the smoke, but no one can find the fire. This kid goes to jail a minimum of seven years, and the reasons behind what he did or who he targeted will always be a matter of speculation. Something's holding sway over him, that's for sure.

I assume that he demanded that the name of his intended victim never be released in exchange for his guilty plea. So, basically, he wanted this person dead, but now is willing to sacrifice his career and 7-10 years of his freedom for them.

Geez, practically the puck version of the Manson Family.

Weird.

devilmaster
08-24-06, 08:00 PM
postscript 2 years later......

Former agent David Frost out on bail after being arrested and charged with 12 counts of sexual exploitation and 1 count of assault.

http://www.cbc.ca/story/sports/national/2006/08/23/david-frost-agent.html

David Frost, the former agent of jailed NHL player Mike Danton, was released on $10,000 bail after making an appearance in an Ontario court Wednesday morning to face sexual exploitation and assault charges involving teenagers.

Frost, 39, appeared in a Napanee court following his arrest Tuesday by Ontario Provincial Police. He was charged with 12 counts of sexual exploitation and one count of assault in connection with incidents involving four boys and three girls, who ranged in age from 14 to 16.

The charges relate to incidents that allegedly occurred between 1995 and 2001 in the Deseronto and Napanee area of eastern Ontario and came following a two-year investigation by the OPP.

Police refused to say if the alleged victims, whose identities are protected by a publication ban, were involved in hockey.

"Innocent, innocent," Frost shouted to reporters as he climbed into his lawyer's car after the court proceedings.

Frost's name has been in the headlines over the past two years for his relationship with Danton, a Brampton, Ont., native and former St. Louis Blues forward who was sentenced to 7½ years in a U.S. federal prison in November 2004 for plotting to have Frost killed.

Frost, who resigned as an NHL agent last December, has denied he was the intended target of the murder-for-hire plot.

Despite his conviction, Danton has continued to defend Frost.

devilmaster
03-07-07, 05:40 PM
http://thechronicleherald.ca/Sports/563029.html

Charges withdrawn against ex-agent David Frost

ADVERTISEMENT

NAPANEE, Ont. (CP) — With the father of one alleged victim looking on in an eastern Ontario courtroom, a prosecutor withdrew half the charges against a former hockey coach and NHL agent accused of having sex with teenagers and "inciting" them to have sex with each other.

Six charges of sexual exploitation laid against David Frost, 39, who lives in Battersea, north of Kingston, Ont., were withdrawn. One assault charge also was withdrawn.

Frost still faces six charges of sexual exploitation involving three teenage boys and one teenage girl.

In one case, a boy was allegedly "incited" by Frost, who was in a position of trust or authority over the boy, to have sex with a young girl and Frost.

Police have said the alleged victims were 14-to-16 years old at the time.

"The Crown is engaged in its final review of those counts," Crown prosecutor Adam Zegouras told the judge, Justice Geoff Griffin.

Frost did not appear in court Tuesday.

Zegouras said the circumstances of six of the sex charges were reviewed by senior Crown lawyers.

"There’s been a conclusion that there’s insufficient evidence that Mr. Frost was in a position of trust or authority," Zegouras said.

The sexual exploitation offence is typically laid against an adult who holds some authority over a child, such as a coach, teacher or priest.

dando
03-07-07, 05:49 PM
Well that sucks. You wanna go give him a code red? I'll help. I've gotta whole buncha pennies for a sock or three. :mad:

-Kevin

TKGAngel
03-07-07, 05:59 PM
How is a hockey coach/agent not in a position of trust or authority?

oddlycalm
03-07-07, 06:14 PM
Sadly, this kinda thing happens around sports of all kinds with depressing regularity. There are always parasites to prey on the eager young, take advantage of them on every level, then happily take their money should one make it to the bigs.

oc

devilmaster
03-07-07, 06:24 PM
How is a hockey coach/agent not in a position of trust or authority?

To explain:

From what i've heard on the radio and read, the 6 charges dropped were for sexual exploitation of the girls....

The guess is that the prosecutor had a hard time believing that the coach was in a position of authority over the girls as he would be with the boys - and that the prosecutor thinks it may be better to stick with the charges that will get him a significant punishment, instead of loading on the charges and perhaps winning on a few but losing out big time in the end.

The assault charge is believed to be an assault on Mike Danton - and Mike is not cooperative with police.

A wierd turn to this story - it was reported that the lawyer for Frost is the same lawyer when Danton was in court. So he defended Danton with Frost as the victim, and now defends Frost with Danton as the victim. :shakehead

RHR_Fan
03-07-07, 06:55 PM
Note to self: stay away from hockey players and their agents.

This is confusing. And I had not even heard of the story until today.

devilmaster
03-07-07, 06:57 PM
To learn more, CBC did a special on the story and there is video from the show...

http://www.cbc.ca/fifth/rogueagent/