PDA

View Full Version : Today's touch with racing, OWRS style

RTKar
05-08-04, 06:55 PM
Went to the local Bridgestone tire/repair place to get an oil change, wearing a now vintage Fed Ex CART jacket. Both guys at the counter made comments about the jacket..."Hey CART...!" ,so I asked them if they went to races, ..."Oh yea...at least we used to". I told them to come on out we need some fans.

Later the same day, while buying onions from the Shriners ( gotta support the guys with the funny little cars and the goofy hats) , one of the guys saw my Jaguar F1 shirt and asked me where I got it. I mentioned the USGP at Indy. He told he used to go to the 500 for 20 some years yup until the mid 70's. Used to be a friend of Roger Ward. So I ended up spending some time talking with the gent as he rattled off names like Len Sutton, Vukovich, Hurtubise, Sachs and Elisian. Smart old timer he was..."Nascar's ok, but them open wheel guys got some big ones." Took me half an hour to buy a bag of onions.... :D told him he oughta come up to Milwaukee too, 2 for 1 tickets and a night race too....

BigIrlFan
05-08-04, 07:08 PM
HElls bells, OWRs will have troble givin ways tickets. THem DAmn NANcyboy phunks ruient Indy. THey was thE wons who kicked out SECond gENErations coiled snakes LIek WARds, RUttmens and ELisans of the world.

YOu jest shUt your trap bout makin new fans thare MR RTcars. NObodies wanTS to SEE a bunch of NObody Dirvers racing a bunch of three year old cars.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA, THats funny

THe KEntucky DerBIes is FOr thREE year OLds, and PAul TRacy!!!

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

#BiF

RTKar
05-08-04, 07:25 PM
Well Hells Bells to you Bif...come on over tomorrow, I'm deep fryin a turkey....If you want squirrels and such... or possum (the other white meat) you'll have to bring it yourself...we can talk about the five hunnert....by the way..how many years were those old Watsons used?

Railbird
05-08-04, 09:27 PM
how many years were those old Watsons used?

first off, don't let ol BiF anywhere near a deep fryer big enough to handle a turkey as they kinda look like the commode in his trailer.

secondly, all was right with the world from '56 right up into '66 with at least one Watson roadster pounding the bricks.

hell of a run

Watson is still a pretty cool guy, he'll tip a Coor's Light and tell you his cars were just improved Kurtis's and that he didn't have a clue on how to build a rear engine car.

RTKar
05-08-04, 10:22 PM
...should we bring up the longevity of the offies?

Railbird
05-08-04, 10:36 PM
considering the offies roots go back to Ernest Henry's Peugot design and it wasn;t replaced as a pure-bred until the Cosworth came along I'd say it's note in American racing history is secured.

Back on topic:

here in Indy any ChampCar gear I own seldom draws a comment other than "I thought they went out of business". The ALMS stuff might draw a few curious questions but mainly it's a Nascar crowd around here.

RTKar
05-08-04, 10:48 PM
considering the offies roots go back to Ernest Henry's Peugot design and it wasn;t replaced as a pure-bred until the Cosworth came along I'd say it's note in American racing history is secured.

Back on topic:

here in Indy any ChampCar gear I own seldom draws a comment other than "I thought they went out of business". The ALMS stuff might draw a few curious questions but mainly it's a Nascar crowd around here.

Indy....a NASCAR crowd, who woulda thunk it? :shakehead

I'm actually amazed how many times I've had someone start up a conversation when they see something I'm wearing that's CART or F1 related considering how far off the radar open wheel racing is these days.

Night Train
05-09-04, 02:36 PM
I actually got asked about my Carpentier shirt at breakfast today... in Eastern North Carolina. To be fair, the guy was British.

Madmaxfan2
05-09-04, 06:23 PM
Offenhausers were great engines. They were not originally designed to run 100 inches of mercury boost. That is why they grenaded in the last years.

dreamracer
05-10-04, 01:48 PM
So I ended up spending some time talking with the gent as he rattled off names like Len Sutton, Vukovich, Hurtubise, Sachs and Elisian. Smart old timer he was...

I met Len Sutton this past winter. Very nice guy. Still could describe his starts at Indy, like it was yesterday.

Chaos
05-10-04, 02:32 PM
my champcar gear gets little mention...well, they seem to like my 'motorcycle' jacket, but dont understand why there's a ford logo on it.