PDA

View Full Version : Sony DRU-530A DVD -/+ R/RW FIX

Cart4Live2003
05-07-04, 11:57 AM
Shortly after I got my Sony DVD -/+ R/RW drive it wouldn't read the very discs it had burned all the time.. and was a pain getting it too..

weeeeeelllll it's fixed now..

I went onto a firmware page.. if you ever type in Firmware in google it comes up as "The Firmware Page" .. seems like they have little updates for almost everything.. well I knew they were supposed to come out with a firmware update for it to make it really burn at 8X on dvd-r's.. but I noticed on the update 2.0c that it also was to help fix reading and writing issues it had with reading certain types of dvd-r's.. and lo and behold.. it worked!! .. it now reads the stuff it had burned already every single time

All I did was go into device manager, disabled DMA in the IDE chain the drive was on.. and set it to PIO only.. then updated with the firmware patcher.. then reset it back to DMA if available (after a reboot).. and woot i'm in the money!!

here is the link to the firmware update... (if you haven't done it already)..

http://www.sony.jp/products/Consume...n/fw530a20c.exe

and here is one that someone did based off 2.0c with region free (I didn't use this one yet though)

http://tdb.rpc1.org/firmware/530A20CR.ZIP

and here are some instructions on patching it..

http://sony.storagesupport.com/dvdr...c/530update.htm

I used the official sony firmware patch.. but the other one is supposed to be good too for region free I may do that later if I ever need too.. but I doubt I will.. I have a little region free/macrovision free program that runs at startup so it takes care of it all for me..

cc4l

PS.. just posting this in case any of you out their have this same drive and have/had the same problems in the past of not reading all the media and also media it burned itself..

racer2c
05-07-04, 12:56 PM
I'm a DVD burning freakazoid. I utilize firmware from third party sources that allow added benefits other than the manufactures official releases. Some third party firmware can actually speed up the burn speed of the drive. I know that there are Panasonic 4x drives that can burn at 8x just from a third party firmware upgrade. The downside is that you can render your drive completely useless if your firmware is junk or your flash was bad. As easy as the process is, it is still a risky process, even with official firmware especially when flashing from within Windows as opposed to flashing off of a boot disc.
Also worth mentioning is that DVD media varies greatly in it's integrity depending on manufacturer. Especially spindle media. A stack of 50 discs with the name Memorex printed on them could possible come from three or four different manufactures and vary in their quality to the point that some will burn and others become coasters. I use software that will detect the actual manufacturer so that you can compare to compatibility listings.
If anyone has any questions on advanced burning methods, feel free to PM me.

Cam
05-07-04, 11:53 PM
DVD recordable sux! It cost me 3 damn hours today after finding out that the drive I bought was not supported by the software!

Then on top of that! It went and ejected the CD the I swung around in the chair (not knowing it had ejected it) and tore the damn tray off the drive with my knee.....

I had a really bad day today,,,,, :rolleyes: