PDA

View Full Version : The "joys" of working for a small market paper

rabbit
05-06-04, 09:16 PM
Got an email from the boss today. Budget cuts. No travel expenses for covering national races. :( "If you elect to go to any of these events, it will have to be on your own time and your own dime." :cry:

Oh well, on the bright side, I get to be a fan for a change and not have to worry about missing a story. Plus, I still have my local racing coverage at Limaland Motorsports Park. I really get a kick out of that. Being around it every Friday night has given me a new appreciation for all the dirt-trackers. (Tomorrow night at the track I'm racing head-to-head against a bunch of the local drivers on an Atari sprint car simulator for a story for next week.:cool: ) It's funny because I see a lot of the same problems at Limaland that I do at the highest levels of racing: out of control costs ($14K+ for a stock car motor :eek: ), good drivers unable to find funding (the defending 360 sprint track champ was without a ride until three weeks before the season) while talentless ride buyers fill the holes.

So while I'll miss the joy of a Patrick Carpentier press conference, I'll avoid the pain and anguish of an Eddie Cheever press conference.

See, every cloud has a silver lining.

JoeBob
05-06-04, 09:32 PM
So while I'll miss the joy of a Patrick Carpentier press conference, I'll avoid the pain and anguish of an Eddie Cheever press conference.

Why? You certainly wouldn't be the only fan posing as a journalist.

lone_groover
05-06-04, 09:54 PM
Hey, the stick 'n ball seasons get longer every year, and they all overlap.

No time for pointy cars!

:)

Ankf00
05-06-04, 10:07 PM
anyone seen Andy Hall? :rofl:

rabbit
05-07-04, 10:32 AM
Hey, the stick 'n ball seasons get longer every year, and they all overlap.

No time for pointy cars!

:)
Fear not. The madness is not just limited to racing. No MLB or NFL coverage this year either. It's all AP, all the time. :rolleyes:

I will give our paper credit for one thing, it's definitely not just a stick-and-ball sports section. (BTW - we recently were voted the best daily sports section in the state of Ohio for newspapers with 25,000-74,999 circulation) Five years ago (when I started covering racing for the paper) neither of the two TV stations in town did any racing coverage, especially at Limaland. Now the Fox station has a weekly highlight show on Sunday afternoons and the NBC station just started doing a "Pit-Stop Report" every Friday evening. :gomer:

G.
05-07-04, 12:49 PM
Five years ago (when I started covering racing for the paper) neither of the two TV stations in town did any racing coverage, especially at Limaland. Now the Fox station has a weekly highlight show on Sunday afternoons and the NBC station just started doing a "Pit-Stop Report" every Friday evening. :gomer:To those that think that reporters don't have biases and agendas, please reread rabbit's reply. :rofl: :thumbup: :cool:

(of course I am referring only to sports reporters.)