PDA

View Full Version : Crackforum moron thread

Hot Rod Otis
05-06-04, 04:25 PM
Hate to steal a CW idea, but this thread is to rich to pass up.

http://www.trackforum.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=42659

The spin now is that Bump Day wasn't "important" so its no big deal thats its a thing of the past. :shakehead :rolleyes:

pchall
05-06-04, 04:36 PM

The spin now is that Bump Day wasn't "important" so its no big deal thats its a thing of the past. :shakehead :rolleyes:

I used to make that point at SpeedNet but the lemmings wouldn't buy it. Now it is their revisionist history.

I'd always figured that Bump Day added perhaps one worthwhile car to the field and a few marginal ones that just made for some late afternoon fun for the railbirds. Stuff like Bob Frey working very hard with a rather dubious looking Eagle-Offy that must have been half a dozen years old. He found some speed and the team was waiting to get him the closing gun run and it started raining. It was fun at the track, but ABC's Bump Day tv show was invariably boring.

extramundane
05-06-04, 04:52 PM

Y'know, just like Hemelgarn & PDM aren't important.

Mike Kellner
05-06-04, 05:17 PM
That is too f***in' funny. I remember the old Speednet days, when suspected consipracy to ruin bump day was one of CART's high crimes which justified the tantrum.

Apparently that line of reasoning is no longer operational.

mk

rabbit
05-06-04, 05:19 PM
Y'know, just like Hemelgarn & PDM aren't important.
And American drivers...

And all ovals...

And no engine leases...

You know, if any of us had started that thread five years ago we would have been labled a troll, banned, and ripped up one side and down the other for not knowing what Indy means.

indyfan31
05-06-04, 06:25 PM
I can't read it, I was tossed from the IRL forum, and splitzville and (for some bizzare reason) the MIPS forum too.
I can't tell you how bad I feel .... I just can't. :)

Mike Kellner
05-06-04, 06:49 PM
Log off, and you'll be able to read those forums. I was just booted from the Tony's Toadies/You don't know what Indy means forum. All I had to do was log out and I could once again get my daily humor fix.

Joke of the day - 33 is just a number.

mk

PS So is 500.

Brickman
05-06-04, 07:53 PM
Of course 33 is not just a number. Will they wake up, will Tony? Probably, but just like CART... CART II will scrape bottom first.

RTKar
05-06-04, 07:54 PM
Bump day was more interesting than pole day IMO. Trying to find speed, making deals, when to go out for your 3rd try,wave offs, watching the weather,Penske and Rahal not qaulifying. If you pulled for the underdogs..or hated Penske, you loved bump day. What's going on at IMS is simply the chipping away of the foundation of a once great race, piece by piece

Racewriter
05-06-04, 09:02 PM
It's getting weirder and weirder these days...

Turn7
05-06-04, 09:28 PM
http://www.trackforum.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&postid=557521#post557521

Welcome to reality.

sundaydriver2
05-06-04, 09:49 PM
Man I hope that there is less than 33 cars. Maybe then the press will hop on the bandwagon and rip the Idiotgrandson a new one. It may not be much but it would still be good for a laugh.

lone_groover
05-06-04, 09:49 PM
HA HA!

As Ian Dury would say: Them ain't half been some stupid gomers!

:cry:

Al Czervik
05-06-04, 09:51 PM
Let's be honest w/ ourselves. Can't all Crackforum threads be defined as moron threads?

lone_groover
05-06-04, 09:56 PM
Are you calling Samuel Cleminns a moron?

:gomer:

DaveL
05-06-04, 11:02 PM
I dunno. A thread like that without Grandmaster Lemming himself Webbie (HWC) contributing.

If they do manage to get 33 cars, the Lemmings proclaim it another great accomplish of the IRL. :rolleyes:

"Either I'll qualify this thing or they'll take me outta here in a box"-John Mahler before a qualifying run.

Too bad you born too early John. These days any ol' 4 laps will do.

SteveH
05-06-04, 11:05 PM
Dave, 4 is just a number. How long do you think that will last?

DaveL
05-06-04, 11:13 PM
Dave, 4 is just a number. How long do you think that will last?

I say run 1 lap. It's not the quantity, it's the quality. Those other 3 laps just wasted time.

Hey, I'm just getting into the Lemming spirit gang.

Railbird
05-06-04, 11:24 PM
you do "idiot" very well Turn 7.

Some of the Hulmanistas could take lessons.

Ziggy
05-06-04, 11:55 PM
Turn7, that was freakin' brilliant

Ziggy

Don Quixote
05-07-04, 12:03 AM
Good one turn7. You had me going there! :laugh:

Racewriter
05-07-04, 10:30 AM
Nicely done, Turn7. I just now got the hook out...:D:D:D

devilmaster
05-07-04, 10:49 AM

Welcome to reality.

You outed yourself, but they un-outed you! Nobody saw it, go back and create some more fun
:D

Steve

Clown
05-07-04, 10:53 AM

Welcome to reality.
Hahahaha the ****ers culled it :laugh:

Turn7
05-07-04, 10:56 AM
No can do.

It's locked and Mr. Wendal has been shown the door.

It goes to show how ridiculous they are, no degrading comments, no personal attacks, nothing but the truth. You can't have anybody speak the truth and get away with it.

pchall
05-07-04, 11:28 AM
No can do.

It's locked and Mr. Wendal has been shown the door.

It goes to show how ridiculous they are, no degrading comments, no personal attacks, nothing but the truth. You can't have anybody speak the truth and get away with it.

Exactly.

And when you show the management their hypocrisies and stupidities, they ban you.

Wheel-Nut
05-07-04, 11:33 AM
That was good Mr. Wendal. I first thought it might be BiF's "city cousin" as it was polished but still had some BiF content! Only you T7. :rofl:

Mike Kellner
05-07-04, 11:36 AM
Don't worry, all the head Lemmings read the posts here. They get the message, they just don't want to believe it. They see it all going down the drain, and likely say the same things we do, in private to one another.

mk

Imagine there's no Indy, it's easy if you try....

Lizzerd
05-07-04, 04:29 PM
Crap. It's gone. What did I miss?

rabbit
05-07-04, 04:56 PM
Crap. It's gone. What did I miss?
Try this... (http://www.trackforum.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=42659)

Hurry Downs
05-07-04, 05:46 PM
OMG
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
actually brought a tear to my eye

lone_groover
05-07-04, 06:48 PM
I think the story of Mr. Wendal will go down in racing forum history and racing forum myth. Old timers will claim to have known him, childrenz will ask their parents if he really existed, and Gomers will curse and spit at the mere mention of his name.

Sure, the story will be no doubt be embellised and embroidered. But don't all folk heroes get bigger with time? Balladeers and storytellers don't trifle with small themes.

:thumbup:

Clown
05-07-04, 08:51 PM
OMG!!!
Best CrackForum thread ever :laugh:

Brickman
05-07-04, 09:45 PM
:laugh:

RTKar
05-07-04, 10:49 PM
.....and we have a fearless, ingenious leader that can handle anything and every situation.

Sounds like a Rocky and Bullwinkle episode...

eiregosod
05-07-04, 11:36 PM
Without bumping the whole month of May is pretty useless.

The whole process of qualifying & making sure you aint gonna end up on that bubble on bubble day is what makes (made rather) Indy so intruiging and so exciting.

2001 was my first dealing with the process, that year there were 40 legit entries, the Champcar guys had to make sure they got in or look pretty sorry ;)

if there's just 33 cars, anyone who makes a valid qualifying attempt on day 1 is locked in, where in years past would be sweating it out/losing sleep and would try again the following day (even though one gives up the grid position they had being a Day 1 qualifier)

The strategy involved, do I qualify again, or risk that none of the bump day guys go faster.

Pretty much we have a formality of qualifying , make your attempt and your in the race. Just like any other race.

Mike Kellner
05-08-04, 01:30 AM
Just a passing thought on grammar, isn't "Crackforum moron thread" a redundancy? Sorta like saying, The Catholic Pope, or Irish Leprechaun?

mk

Lizzerd
05-08-04, 04:24 AM
May at IMS will soon be a one week or three to four day event. Just like the CART teams lobbied for in the early '90's because they were spending 40% of their budget for the 500. Wasn't reducing the cost of racing part of The Vision v1.0?

RTKar
05-08-04, 09:15 AM
May at IMS will soon be a one week or three to four day event. Just like the CART teams lobbied for in the early '90's because they were spending 40% of their budget for the 500. Wasn't reducing the cost of racing part of The Vision v1.0?

I remember Tony B. being one of the harshest critics of spending a month at Indy doing nothing but testing while chewing up money on tires, engines, carbon Fiber and tg's catered food. It was a self serving decision by the Speedway then to make more money, not one in the best interests of the sport nor teams, especially small ones like Bettenhausen. At at a time when IMS could have been an indirect leader guiding open wheel racing into the future they were opening the door to Nascar and lining their pockets with CART money. If the speedway did anything, it helped raise the cost of open wheel racing.

Madmaxfan2
05-08-04, 11:28 AM
Like I said in an earlier post, the ex-Cart owners now in the IRL will get what they wanted, a shortened month of MAY, only the fans will not show up for any of it. If Open Wheel racing leaders of the early 90's would have realized how good it was before everyone became greedy. Thank God for OWRS leadership, they have a grip on reality.

oddlycalm
05-08-04, 03:08 PM
The most ironic aspect is that with Honda, Toyota and Chevyworth paying most of the bills and deciding how many cars will be on the grid, TG has virtually no control over his own destiny.

oc

DaveL
05-08-04, 05:32 PM
The most ironic aspect is that with Honda, Toyota and Chevyworth paying most of the bills and deciding how many cars will be on the grid, TG has virtually no control over his own destiny.

That is because Tony was more concerned with killing CART than creating his own viable series.

And people wonder why CART wasn't in a big hurry to turn over control of the sport to Idiotgrandson.

eiregosod
05-08-04, 05:52 PM
from 1995 Miami herlad:

regarding Raplh Sanchez, who toyed with the idea of having the EARL there at Homestead in 1996:

"He9sanchez), too, was approached by George about staging an IRL event on the 1.5-mile Homestead Motorsports Complex oval under construction. Sanchez said he even sounded out his sponsors. "Every single sponsor we called told us, 'Stay with CART,' " he said.

nuff said

eiregosod
05-08-04, 06:06 PM
here's the mainstream opinion, rather apathy to the whole situation :(

Copyright 1996 American Broadcasting Companies, Inc.
ABC News Transcripts

SHOW: WORLD NEWS TONIGHT SUNDAY - ABC

May 19, 1996 Sunday

LENGTH: 553 words

BODY:
CAROLE SIMPSON

The Olympic torch brought its message of hope today to one of the saddest spots in the country. [VO] A man who lost his sister in law in the Oklahoma City bombing carried the torch past the site of the Alfred P Murrah Building, where 168 people were killed. [on camera] At the Indianapolis Motor Speedway today, another driver crashed during a practice run to quality for the Indy 500. Randy Tolsma was lucky; he walked away from the wreck. But the life and death dramas of racing are competing these days with another drama involving the Indy 500 - it's about ego and money. From Indianapolis, ABC's Armen Keteyian.

ARMEN KETEYIAN, ABC NEWS

[VO] For 79 years, the Indy 500 has meant the biggest race with the best drivers, screaming around the track at speeds in excess of 230 miles per hour. But this year, much of that high octane glamour is missing, lost in a high stakes battle that has split this sport in two.

AJ FOYT, FOUR TIME INDY WINNER

The big boys are gonna be here in Indianapolis and the little boys are gonna go on their own way.

AL UNSER JR., PENSKE TEAM DRIVER

The best drivers in the world, the best crews in the world, are- are racing in Michigan this year.

ARMEN KETEYIAN

[VO] At the center of the feud is Indianapolis Motor Speedway president Tony George, who founded a new series called the Indy Racing League, or IRL, last year. His goal?

TONY GEORGE

We're trying to grow the pie, trying to get new- new facilities built in major markets, and just overall grow the sport and make it better.

ARMEN KETEYIAN

[VO] Better, says George, because the IRL will reduce the cost of Indy car racing and increase opportunities for young American drivers.

BUZZ CALKINS, INDY ROOKIE DRIVER

A season of Indy car costs between $6 and $8 million. There's not too many people that can raise that kind of money.

ARMEN KETEYIAN

[VO] The feud ignited when George reserved 25 of 33 spots in this year's qualifying field at Indy for cars running in IRL events.

DAN GURNEY, ALL AMERICAN RACING OWNER

The Indy 500 goes back to 1911. I'm sad that they've decided that they're going to use it as a weapon and try to bully us.

ARMEN KETEYIAN

[VO] In response, Gurney and other owners from CART - the Championship Auto Racing Team series which has run this sport for 17 years - will boycott next weekend's 500. So will names like Unser, Rahal and Andretti. They'll be at the US 500 in Michigan on Memorial Day, a race created this year to rival Indy.

MARIO ANDRETTI, K MART TEXACO RACING TEAM

The only option we had was to run another event, or watch, and obviously, you're not going to be just standing there and watching.

ARMEN KETEYIAN

[VO] CART owners and drivers argue they offer world class racing in the fastest cars with cutting edge technology that comes at a price.

AL UNSER JR.

You know, when you start talking about going over 230 miles an hour and turning laps, these are unique automobiles. They're unique.

ARMEN KETEYIAN

Like the cars on this track, this feud boils down to raw power: who will control Indy car racing not only this year, but for years to come. Armen Keteyian, ABC News, Indianapolis.

CAROLE SIMPSON

Just ahead, why your favorite sitcoms are trying hard to make you cry. [Commercial break]

LANGUAGE: ENGLISH

LOAD-DATE: September 26, 2003