PDA

View Full Version : Indy 500 poll

Mike Kellner
05-06-04, 11:36 AM
Really, the only question left about the one time Greatest Spectacle in Sport.

mk

racer2c
05-06-04, 11:53 AM
I believe 2010. Tony will let the race flounder along generating large amounts of press of "Is the 500 Over?" etc. Tony will then step in and announce that he has reached a long term agreement with NASCAR on replacing the open wheel cars with the tin tops. He will claim that it only makes sense that the nations most popular series race in the worlds most popular race. His IRL will take the 400 slot that will garner about 45K and a 1.2 TV rating. Tony will come out smelling like a rose and his miserable IRL past will be just that, history.

Chaos
05-06-04, 12:11 PM
My guess would be when the France family says so...

KLang
05-06-04, 12:17 PM
I picked 2008 because isn't 2007 the end of the ABC contract?

FTG
05-06-04, 12:22 PM
When Mari dies, then Tony's siblings will sell.

Mari, however, will never sell because she feels guilty that her slutty behavior killed Tony's father, and letting Tony run the family business into the ground is the only way she can try to make it up to him.

dando
05-06-04, 12:28 PM
Won't happen @ least until FTG sells IMS to France/ISC. Doesn't make sense for NASCAB to abandon the CC 600 franchise, nor for FTG to lose 1/3 of IMS revenues. By the time FTG is finished ruining the 500, the race won't be any more significant than as a support race for the CC 600...why would NASCAB be interested in that? BGN?

-Kevin

SteveH
05-06-04, 12:40 PM
I voted for never, only because that would be the smart thing to do.

racer2c
05-06-04, 02:13 PM
Won't happen @ least until FTG sells IMS to France/ISC. Doesn't make sense for NASCAB to abandon the CC 600 franchise, nor for FTG to lose 1/3 of IMS revenues. By the time FTG is finished ruining the 500, the race won't be any more significant than as a support race for the CC 600...why would NASCAB be interested in that? BGN?

-Kevin

The Indy 500 used to be a world recognized event. I could see NASCAR, in it’s attempt to become an international series, build upon the 500’s tradition. NASCAR would drop the 600 in a heartbeat. They have a history of dropping ‘traditional’ races.

bdogg187
05-06-04, 04:13 PM
I think 2007, thats the year Toyota is supposed to move up to Nextel Cup. That will also be the year Toyota pulls out from EARL. EARL will die, IMS will sell out to ISC. They will just add 100 miles to the Brickyard 400 and call it the 500. It will be run in August. Tony will say it was always part of the vision, and the gomers will agree.

RTKar
05-06-04, 07:58 PM
Whenever it is, it'll be a cryin asz shame.

Tall1
05-06-04, 09:07 PM
How 'bout 1996?

Jag_Warrior
05-06-04, 09:54 PM
I voted 2007. I think bdogg187's onto something. When (not "if") Toyo leaves, life will get sh!^^y in TonyLand.

But in truth, Tall1 is right. The race has fallen off a cliff from '96 on. :shakehead

You guys aren't really going to watch that crap, are ya? ;)

cart7
05-07-04, 05:51 AM

-Kevin

Nascar will abandon the CC600 in favor of morphing itself into the 500. The records will be sponged clean. The 500 will become a night race with the 600 possibly taking over the old Brickyard date in August. FTG will sacrifice the 500 revenues because revenues will continue to keep dropping as the earl becomes even more insignificant than it already is. He'll have no choice than to take the concessions Nascar will insist on just to keep the Memorial day income flowing.

mueber
05-07-04, 04:18 PM
If this were to happen it would be the best result for everybody I care about.

It would relieve open wheel of the burden of having an event that overshadows any series thereby allowing the series to grow. It would force the France family to put Boy George in his place or risk being subjected to the same “vision” that has been so unsuccessful for open wheel. I wonder if the Frances would be dumb enough to take this on.

Megger
05-08-04, 06:24 PM
How 'bout 1996?

You got that right!! What a freakin joke. Who gives a flying F***. I can't wait for Mexico. I saw my first Indy 499 comercial today. WHO cares? Nobody!
FTG and all 1000 gomers who watch that pathetic excuse of a series.

Fio1
05-09-04, 09:28 PM
Guys, how can the Indy 500 be a Nascar race if Tony G owns IRL? He doesn't own Nascar. I think Long Beach GP has a better chance becoming a Nascar race then the Indy 500....

ferrarigod
05-09-04, 09:33 PM
Guys, how can the Indy 500 be a Nascar race if Tony G owns IRL? He doesn't own Nascar. I think Long Beach GP has a better chance becoming a Nascar race then the Indy 500....

Look again, neckar already owns ims. :thumdown: to your post :shakehead

Jay
05-09-04, 09:41 PM
Simple question...simple answer - when it's no longer economical. And as much as it has gone downhill, I can't see that happening anytime soon.

The Indy 500, regardless of how much it's fallen from it's glory in the mid-90s, is still the most successful open-wheel race in North America by a long ways. As much as Champcar fans dump on it, it's still above and beyond any race we(Champcar) have in every measure of what makes an event successful. While the race may continue to slide, and there may be fewer than 33 cars starting (big deal), it still would have to slide a lot further before it would be more profitable for IMS to hold one Nascar race than it would to hold the Indy 500 and Brickyard 400 as seperate races. Thus, I just don't see it happening.