PDA

View Full Version : Champ Cars Back to England Next Year?

dando
05-05-04, 06:30 PM
Linky (http://www.speedtv.com/articles/auto/champcar/10951/)

Interesting. I would have thought CCWS might be rumored to replace F1 @ Silverstone, but a street race in Manchester sounds cool (literally).

Also, I read on the new 7G (Crash.net) that Vegas was still being discussed shortly after LBGP.

-Kevin

RTKar
05-05-04, 06:49 PM
With F1 seemingly making the move away from European races, maybe it's an opportune time for Champcar to begin establishing a solid foothold at courses that have, or may soon be abandoned, for all the government funded Tilke tracks being built.

Jay
05-05-04, 06:50 PM
A street race in England might be the best way to go - Champcar just can't compete with all of the road racing there - it's like racing heaven, and the fans aren't big on ovals...

Street racing might be something new and different from every other road race they have there. A huge event like Toronto, Long Beach or Surfers might work very well - especially if there was a big name concert to accompany the racing.

Only thing is, they have to make it a good circuit - a street parade like the race at Brands last year will not go off well. It left many with the opinion that Champcar was a 'no passing' series. The BTCC races before and after the Champcar event were much better. In fact, I'd say Champcar has some work to do to re-market itself as after the Brands event.

Clown
05-05-04, 09:31 PM
Interesting. I would have thought CCWS might be rumored to replace F1 @ Silverstone
-Kevin
If F1 can't even draw a decent crowd at Silverstone, I wouldn't like ChampCars chances.
Best stick to Manch....

RTKar
05-05-04, 09:39 PM
If F1 can't even draw a decent crowd at Silverstone, I wouldn't like ChampCars chances.
Best stick to Manch....

Two things Champcar would have going for it; an open pit/paddock and probably cheaper tickets. Throw in a couple drivers from the UK and I would give the event a decent chance. If the race actually had passing....who knows...

lateralus42
05-05-04, 09:40 PM
Best stick to Manch....

Silverstone draws a pretty big crowd, not sure why you are saying that. They usually draw 80-95 K on raceday. The lowest Ive heard was about 60K a few years ago, but that seems like an aberration.

RTKar
05-05-04, 09:45 PM
Silverstone draws a pretty big crowd, not sure why you are saying that. They usually draw 80-95 K on raceday. The lowest Ive heard was about 60K a few years ago, but that seems like an aberration.

Also, hasn't the number of tickets sold been limited due to problems with traffic getting in and out of the track? I recall some problems with parking areas being too muddy after rains and the roads in becoming grid locked.

Clown
05-05-04, 09:49 PM
Oh well not as bad as I thought. Probably just hack journo's ripping on F1 (as usual).
But the facilities are in shambles.

I still say Rockingham.

jdcooper
05-05-04, 11:42 PM
I vote for TT "one at a time" format around the Isle of Man.

Yeah baaaaby !

Jay
05-05-04, 11:58 PM
...well, an ASCAR(British stock car) race and a Sugababes concert pulled in a larger crowd than Champcars at Rockingham - I don't think ovals worked there.

As for Brands, (or Silverstone for that matter), it might bring out 40-50k if it's teamed with good support races (although many people at Brands considered Champcar as the support race to a BTCC event), but it will not touch F1. Most of the people that go to the F1 race could care less about paddock access, etc if it's not F1.

My feeling is that the Brits won't go for the oval racing in large enough numbers, Champcar can't compete with F1 and the other British series on the road courses - so street races are all that's left.

Fio1
05-06-04, 01:51 AM
I'd love for champcars to go back to England. I went to Brands Hatch last year, it was a great race live. My picks for tracks would be Truxthon & Donington. This would be a great excuse to go back to London. :)

Oh, I'd love for the IRL to race in the UK as well, at Knockhill. If anyone knows anything about Knockhill, they'd get the joke.... :eek: :rofl:

Jag_Warrior
05-06-04, 07:21 AM
As for Brands, (or Silverstone for that matter), it might bring out 40-50k if it's teamed with good support races (although many people at Brands considered Champcar as the support race to a BTCC event), but it will not touch F1. Most of the people that go to the F1 race could care less about paddock access, etc if it's not F1.

My feeling is that the Brits won't go for the oval racing in large enough numbers, Champcar can't compete with F1 and the other British series on the road courses - so street races are all that's left.

Do you think F1 will continue to race at Silverstone? The stories seem to go back and forth.

KLang
05-06-04, 09:13 AM
I wonder if this might also lead to the return of the oval in Germany?
( can't remember the name of the place :o )

Clown
05-06-04, 09:21 AM
I wonder if this might also lead to the return of the oval in Germany?
( can't remember the name of the place :o )
Lausitzring :p

Steve99
05-06-04, 11:19 AM
If F1 wants to abandon Silverstone then I think it would be good place for Champ Car. It can't be that much of shambles or F1 wouldn't have raced there last year.

Aren't many of the F1 teams based at Silverstone? :rofl:

Sean O'Gorman
05-06-04, 11:39 AM
Also, hasn't the number of tickets sold been limited due to problems with traffic getting in and out of the track? I recall some problems with parking areas being too muddy after rains and the roads in becoming grid locked.

I thought it was limited because the fans caused trouble after Ol' Nige won back in '92? :confused:

As for England, sure, go. But use the damn oval you already built Gerry!!

TrueBrit
05-06-04, 11:57 AM
Manchester would be fine with me...a ton of relatives in the area...but Brands Hatch would be better....Much better....

Although.....Boddington's is brewed in Manchester.....

Yup .....Manchester it is!!!! :D

Adder
05-06-04, 11:59 AM
It would indeed be superb to get the Champ Cars back over here and I hadn't expected Manchester as the place it would happen though.

It would seem from what I read the circuit would be on private land, so maybe it would be kind of like a park land circuit near the city, which sounds like a cool idea, it could be a custom designed circuit maybe not quite a street race, kind of like Albert Park in Australia. :thumbup:

jonovision_man
05-06-04, 02:54 PM
I thought it was limited because the fans caused trouble after Ol' Nige won back in '92? :confused:

As for England, sure, go. But use the damn oval you already built Gerry!!

The recent limitations at Silverstone were due to the access roads, but apparantly that's been resolved with a new overpass.

Also, the facilities at Silverstone aren't up to the *new* F1 standards, set by the new amazing circuits, but they are certainly up to the current CART standards. At many of CART's races the "garage" facilities consist of a tarp (tent-like thing) strung between two trailers...

jono

CART T. Katz
05-06-04, 05:00 PM
I'd love for champcars to go back to England. I went to Brands Hatch last year, it was a great race live. My picks for tracks would be Truxthon & Donington. This would be a great excuse to go back to London. :)

Oh, I'd love for the IRL to race in the UK as well, at Knockhill. If anyone knows anything about Knockhill, they'd get the joke.... :eek: :rofl:

enlighten those young and stupid please?

pchall
05-06-04, 08:51 PM
enlighten those young and stupid please?

If memory serves, that's the tiny little track in Scotland where one of the terrain features is called "Duffus Dip" -- sounds like a fine place to run an IRL roadrace.

lone_groover
05-06-04, 09:09 PM
Ian Duffus is a he-man hero - who happens to have a funny name.

:p

racer2c
05-06-04, 09:17 PM
The recent limitations at Silverstone were due to the access roads, but apparantly that's been resolved with a new overpass.

Also, the facilities at Silverstone aren't up to the *new* F1 standards, set by the new amazing circuits, but they are certainly up to the current CART standards. At many of CART's races the "garage" facilities consist of a tarp (tent-like thing) strung between two trailers...

jono

What's a CART race? Us Champ Car fans here at this Champ Car forum never saw a Champ Car paddock. ;)

Jag_Warrior
05-06-04, 09:40 PM
It would seem from what I read the circuit would be on private land, so maybe it would be kind of like a park land circuit near the city, which sounds like a cool idea, it could be a custom designed circuit maybe not quite a street race, kind of like Albert Park in Australia. :thumbup:

Private land? Park? Where's Wiltshire?! Hey, does a certain old skank perform for MotoRock?!

Wake up the neighbors! (http://www.drownedmadonna.com/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=2400)

eiregosod
05-07-04, 10:58 PM
If memory serves, that's the tiny little track in Scotland where one of the terrain features is called "Duffus Dip" -- sounds like a fine place to run an IRL roadrace.
Its at Knockhill! :)