PDA

View Full Version : When I was watching Macgyver

pkvracing12
05-05-04, 01:36 AM
Today while watching macgyver on Spike TV the comercial with Bronte Tagliani was shown, and the Commercial with the 2 two seater champcar was shown. It seems to me that spike is reallly trying to advertise this series a lot better then speed and ESPN/ABC.

Clown
05-05-04, 02:06 AM
You were watching Macgyver!!! :shakehead :rofl: :laugh:

Jay
05-05-04, 02:08 AM
No doubt... Spike is trying to build itself as a network as well - and Champcar is definately one of its biggest assets, so it's pushing it big time. At CBS, Champcar was something small buying time on a huge network. At Spike, Champcar represents some of their only original and unique programming. You could say, Spike's hope is that it will grow as Champcar grows.

But watching Macgyver? :saywhat:

Robstar
05-05-04, 02:24 AM
:laugh: :D

FCYTravis
05-05-04, 02:39 AM
Don't knock MacGyver... they did a racing episode once. :laugh:

Filmed and shot entirely at the now-defunct Westwood Raceway Park (http://www.racingcircuits.net/Canada/bc/Westwood.html) in British Columbia, it centered around MacGyver protecting some sort of secret new uber-mileage engine being tested in a race car from a pack of oil company goons who were determined to destroy it and keep it from killing their profits.

OK, so the plot was "paper" thin and the racing was about as hokey as that featured in Freejack - a bunch of Improved Touring cars pretended to be top-level pro racers, like Freejack's Formula Atlantic Ralt RT-4s masquerading as Formula 1 cars... but hey, where else can you find gobs of great quality color footage of a racetrack that's now only memories?

Rogue Leader
05-05-04, 07:42 AM

Filmed and shot entirely at the now-defunct Westwood Raceway Park (http://www.racingcircuits.net/Canada/bc/Westwood.html) in British Columbia, it centered around MacGyver protecting some sort of secret new uber-mileage engine being tested in a race car from a pack of oil company goons who were determined to destroy it and keep it from killing their profits.

OK, so the plot was "paper" thin and the racing was about as hokey as that featured in Freejack - a bunch of Improved Touring cars pretended to be top-level pro racers, like Freejack's Formula Atlantic Ralt RT-4s masquerading as Formula 1 cars... but hey, where else can you find gobs of great quality color footage of a racetrack that's now only memories?

I coulda sworn they used Players Cup cars for that Macgyver episode... but then again I havent seen it in years...

Btw the Best line from Freejack: "This is mr ...... from Champion Sparkplugs" .. "well hello mr plugs". Ok its corny but funny.

Did anyone notice in its final times on CBS ChampCar was listed as "Paid Programming" in the TV guidebooks... like an infomercial... pretty sad.

pchall
05-05-04, 11:10 AM
Don't dis McGiver.

That guy could qualify a car at Indy with chewimg gum, choclate, a paper clip and spit.

McGiver knows what Indy means.

extramundane
05-05-04, 11:56 AM
Don't dis McGiver.

That guy could qualify a car at Indy with chewimg gum, choclate, a paper clip and spit.

McGiver knows what Indy means.

He's just that good.

KLang
05-05-04, 12:06 PM
I always liked the show. :o

Very good to read that there is advertising for Champ Car on Spike. I wonder if Champ Car is paying or if it's a Spike self promotion?

pkvracing12
05-05-04, 02:09 PM
Macgyver needs to make a movie! Hey driven 2 the revenge of the champ cars.

JoeBob
05-05-04, 02:15 PM
Who knew that Patty and Selma posted at OffCamber?! Learn something new every day. :)

Jay
05-05-04, 02:22 PM
...it's a small world. :D

devilmaster
05-05-04, 02:27 PM
Who knew that Patty and Selma posted at OffCamber?! Learn something new every day. :)

"This is lying:That was a well-plotted piece of non-claptrap that never made me want to retch"

:D
Steve

IlliniRacer
05-05-04, 04:34 PM

So did CHiPS. That doesn't make it right though

FCYTravis
05-05-04, 06:37 PM
Hey! Don't knock CHiPs either! :rofl:

Seriously, there's nothing like watching four episodes back to back (CHiPs marathon on TBS one boring summer day) and seeing the exact same freeway chase stock footage used in each one.

Ever wonder how "Central Division" motor officers would wind up chasing crooks through the Antelope Valley, or down the Foothill Freeway northeast of San Fernando? :gomer:

RARules
05-05-04, 11:12 PM
Hey, my kids called me "MacGuyver" occasionally for a number of years - as a kind nickname. I could do some awesome things with repurposed (or really obscure) parts in my workshop.

When one of the kids yanked out the controller cord on the original Nintendo (circa 1989 or so), and the static from the TV screen fried the controller, the call came to fix it. Well, I just happened to have the correct CMOS shift register integrated circuit in the basement, and I soldered it in and it worked. (Of course it worked. It was the only active component on the circuit board).

And the time I avoided a flooded basement from 18 hours of no 110V electricity and 16 inches of rain (in those 18 hours) with a not-yet installed "Ace-in the Hole" backup pump, a car battery, a discharge hose from a dishwasher, a bunch of electrical tape and a garden hose.

My method of making electronic circuits is called "design with parts in hand".

So don't dis "MacGuyver", even if the show was pretty lame...

TravelGal
05-07-04, 01:51 AM
"McGuyver" is in some dictionaries as a verb. As in "He mcguyvered it to make it work." One of the best shows of its time. No guns, just brains. CalTech was one of their main advisors. :thumbup:

Nosuchsoul
05-07-04, 04:21 AM
Knock Macgyver all you want, but Richard Dean Anderson is the SHIZZNIT in Stargate!!!!!!

pkvracing12
05-07-04, 11:09 AM
Im watching maggyver now. His mullet is a shorter version of Nelson Phillipe.