PDA

View Full Version : Another Indy rag...

Jervis Tetch 1
05-02-04, 08:48 PM
I was in Indy recently and picked up this rag-Maxim wannabe called Indy Men's Magazine with I*L coverboy Sam the Sham on it.

This is what fricks me off. They asked ole Sham the inevitable question of the I*L vs. CART/OWRS and Sham goes:

"One or the other will eventually die out, and it looks now like it's not going to be the I*L. That's just how it is. I just look at what I see and read, and CART is not doing very good. And I think the teams that are left over will either decide to pack it up or come over and run the I*L. It's sad that things had to go that way. But that's life."

In addition, these new-found I*L shills put on Page 75 a balloon of "Stuff NOT to do" and it had the date May 23, Monterrey Grand Prix. CART R.I.P.

I can't think of anyone looking any stupider than Sham or this rag for this crap. Yeah, Sham, you better hope the I*L survives, because you know you can't turn right. Did this idiot even know that Long Beach had more people on race day than the three I*L "races" combined?

But what can you expect from a rag that lists 1946 as the debut of Jack Brabham in the Cooper-Climax the first rear-engined car at Indy :rolleyes:

What a bunch of fluckheads. :mad:

Spicoli
05-02-04, 08:54 PM
I was in Indy recently and picked up this rag-Maxim wannabe called Indy Men's Magazine with I*L coverboy Sam the Sham on it.

This is what fricks me off. They asked ole Sham the inevitable question of the I*L vs. CART/OWRS and Sham goes:

"One or the other will eventually die out, and it looks now like it's not going to be the I*L. That's just how it is. I just look at what I see and read, and CART is not doing very good. And I think the teams that are left over will either decide to pack it up or come over and run the I*L. It's sad that things had to go that way. But that's life."

In addition, these new-found I*L shills put on Page 75 a balloon of "Stuff NOT to do" and it had the date May 23, Monterrey Grand Prix. CART R.I.P.

I can't think of anyone looking any stupider than Sham or this rag for this crap. Yeah, Sham, you better hope the I*L survives, because you know you can't turn right. Did this idiot even know that Long Beach had more people on race day than the three I*L "races" combined?

But what can you expect from a rag that lists 1946 as the debut of Jack Brabham in the Cooper-Climax the first rear-engined car at Indy :rolleyes:

What a bunch of fluckheads. :mad:

Dude - I knowq those *******s.

That thing is a free "men's magazine" for Indy only - its a fuggin pet project that makes NO MONEY - and is funded by retired Eli Lilly CEO Randall Tobias. His kid is a massive tool, and his daddy pays for the magazine.

These buttwipes are all over town trying to schlep their "men's magazine" and its a total joke. Nobody will buy their ads, no one reads their crap. They suck.

Imagine a bunch of poser divorced dudes in square toe shoes standing around the bar at Champps on Friday happy hour, lying to each other about girls, cars, and money.

Those sre the guys. F'em. :flame:

Nosuchsoul
05-02-04, 09:06 PM
I know it is easy to attack the IRL, and it does deserve it, but if Sam was a Sham instead of the Man, then all these CART drivers would kick the living S out of him, but they have not. Maybe he should be in NASCAR instead of the destroy CART league, but c'mon, the dude is the top of what he does. He WOULD have won the IRL championship last year if he did not have that worthless sack of lead that Chevy gave him for most of the races.

Leygomyeggo
05-02-04, 09:11 PM
I know it is easy to attack the IRL, and it does deserve it, but if Sam was a Sham instead of the Man, then all these CART drivers would kick the living S out of him, but they have not. Maybe he should be in NASCAR instead of the destroy CART league, but c'mon, the dude is the top of what he does. He WOULD have won the IRL championship last year if he did not have that worthless sack of lead that Chevy gave him for most of the races.

Sham turns left. The rest of the "league" sans Fisher and Roth can do both.

lone_groover
05-02-04, 09:22 PM

I beg to differ.

:shakehead

RusH
05-02-04, 09:39 PM
Sam is TG`s poster boy. He will never be anyplace else, maybe Nascab. He is the last of the vision of American short track drivers finding glory in OW racing.

Jay
05-02-04, 09:50 PM
I don't know know why people get excited over this - I mean, should we expect him to do anything different? He's in TG's league so of course he's going to tout the party line, just like every Champcar driver does here, and every Nascar driver does there.

No question, Sam's at the top of his game....that said, his game is not what Champcar does.... his game is turning left, putting his foot to the floor and driving as smooth circles as possible without hitting other cars or the wall. Last time I checked, that wasn't what we did in Champcar...at least not that often.

lone_groover
05-02-04, 09:53 PM
Sam is TG`s poster boy. He will never be anyplace else, maybe Nascab. He is the last of the vision of American short track drivers finding glory in OW racing.

I've raced as many short track heats as Cornish - with equal success.

:thumdown:

Railbird
05-02-04, 09:57 PM
I agree with Jay

I just wasn't going to be able to word it that well.

and I agree with groover

Sam ain't no short tracker

devilmaster
05-02-04, 10:12 PM
I've raced as many short track heats as Cornish - with equal success.

So, all racing things being equal, it was the hummer sam gave to TG then? :D

Steve

Railbird
05-02-04, 10:26 PM
nah

it was the bucks Sam's dad gave to PDM

they played it pretty smart really.

lone_groover
05-02-04, 10:36 PM
Hey, was Sam's dad really in the ACE TRUCKING COMPANY with Fred Willard and the You-can-call-me-Ray guy?

:gomer:

Jervis Tetch 1
05-03-04, 08:09 AM
I know it is easy to attack the IRL, and it does deserve it, but if Sam was a Sham instead of the Man, then all these CART drivers would kick the living S out of him, but they have not. Maybe he should be in NASCAR instead of the destroy CART league, but c'mon, the dude is the top of what he does. He WOULD have won the IRL championship last year if he did not have that worthless sack of lead that Chevy gave him for most of the races.Nosuch, I won't degrade his oval abilities, but the jury hasn't even begun on his road talents. When he raced in Atlantics they certainly were NOT evident as he never had a top five finish on the road or street with a car totally capable of winning. And surely Phoenix this year proves he can't be totally perfect. And he was getting his ass blown out at Japan by the very same CART drivers.

Getting back on topic, I think the magazine was certainly currying favor to TG and what for? A couple of tickets on the backstretch and a six-pack?

Did these "journalists" forget that CART/OWRS is also in Indy?

This rag will go under right at about the same time the I*L does.

Napoleon
05-03-04, 08:25 AM
Sam has NEVER won on any level in a car on a road course, including a SCCA club regional at Nelson Ledges. Never!

lone_groover
05-03-04, 09:49 AM
People, people, the Game Hen wowed the Gomers in over-winged, undepowered, stuck to the pavement CRAPWAGONS!

EVEN in a CRAPWAGON, when he gets to a track with some reasonably flat cornerz, he loses control and spins or hits the wall. Witness his record at the ol' speed plant - or Hooterville, to you city slickers.

Put him in a ChampCar, and he's Pat Bedard; albeit without the Serengetis and leather bomber jacket.

:thumdown: :thumdown: :thumdown:

pchall
05-03-04, 11:48 AM
Nosuch, I won't degrade his oval abilities...

I will. The guy looks spectacular but his moves are many times dangerous enough to kill him or the other driver(s). It is only a matter of time. This kid is no Rick Mears, no matter what the IRL pub pushes out about him.

Jay
05-03-04, 12:03 PM
If anyone cares to dig up his Atlantic record, you'll see, apart from one win on an oval (forget which one), he wasn't that impressive when it came to road/street courses. This is his last professional road racing.

That said, I wouldn't jump on him too much, he had a better record than most of the guys that are buying rides in Champcar have...

Napoleon
05-03-04, 01:11 PM
Jay, his win was at the first Chicago race in 99.