PDA

View Full Version : ASA

Sean O'Gorman
05-01-04, 10:05 PM
I just turned on Speed Channel a couple minutes ago and saw the winner doing the generic celebratory donuts when I noticed, theres no car number on the side (at least as far as I could see). Whats with that?

Rob
05-01-04, 10:13 PM
They moved the numbers to the quarter panels to make more room for the sponsors on the sides. The roof number stays though.

Railbird
05-01-04, 11:01 PM
funny enough, when ASA was just getting going at Anderson and Winchester speedways way back when, that was a standard Saturday night placement of the numbers.

btw, that was Lanier Raceway, just across the street from Road Atlanta.

DjDrOmusic
05-01-04, 11:15 PM
I'm going to get to see the ASA in June at Mansfield Motorsport Speedway. Last year I just about went deaf from the Outlaw Sprints, this year it's ASA, anyone know if it will be as loud???

Railbird
05-01-04, 11:25 PM
I haven't been to an ASA race for a few years but I have no doubt that it will be quite a bit easier on the ears than the sprints.

Fio1
05-02-04, 01:30 AM
ASA is a good series, the engine formula is great. Too bad it lost some quality drivers the last couple years.

Racewriter
05-02-04, 02:01 PM
In a lot of places, the rear-quarter placement is still standard for the numbers. The problem they're having is that a lot of the ASA guys haven't changed their paint schemes from the door-number days, which is making the number and sponsor harder to read. Cywinski has it figured out.

DjDr - ASA engines run mufflers, and quite a bit less compression than outlaw sprinters. You shouldn't have the noise issue nearly as bad.

They drew 50 cars to Lanier, so it's a very healthy series...

DaveL
05-02-04, 02:55 PM
They drew 50 cars to Lanier, so it's a very healthy series...

And it has graduated many top flight Cup drivers.

Some of the teams need to watch some Touring Car action on Speed to get an idea of how to do a no number on the door panel paint scheme. The ones I saw when I watched one race were pretty horrendous.

mueber
05-04-04, 06:46 PM
That race ended? I watched for the first hour, and all I saw was: 2 laps, spin; 2 more laps, wreck; wreck on restart; spin on next restart, etc.

I gave up and read a book.