PDA

View Full Version : 10 years ago at this time.

Cam
05-01-04, 09:15 AM
I was still sitting stunned in front of the TV. I could not believe that he had been taken from us.
http://www.themagicofsenna.com/s-files/picslib/imo1s.jpg

RIP Ayrton. (http://www.themagicofsenna.com/s-files/tribute.html)

RTKar
05-01-04, 09:45 AM
I remember that morning sitting there stunned by what I had witnessed. Not only did F1 lose a great driver and another young hopeful that weekend, Imola that year became a turning point in the sport. One thing I wonder about, is if Senna would have agreed on the installation of chicanes everywhere effectively emasculating most tracks. Not only did the sport lose two drivers, it may have lost it's way as well that fateful weekend.

P1
05-01-04, 10:39 AM
I remember that morning sitting there stunned by what I had witnessed. Not only did F1 lose a great driver and another young hopeful that weekend, Imola that year became a turning point in the sport. One thing I wonder about is if Senna would have agreed on the installation of chicanes everywhere effectively emasculating most tracks. Not only did the sport lose two drivers, it may have lost it's way as well that fateful weekend.

I'll forever remember too. For me Senna WAS and always will be F1 and it will never be the same. I believe he would not be in favor of the emasculation that has taken place, however, because of the other tragic events of that weekend I also believe he would have been on the leading edge of safety reform. BTW go to http://www.grandprix.com/ns/ns12812.html and read thier 10 Years On bit; it's a good read.

Railbird
05-01-04, 10:58 AM
still hard to believe

ilferrari
05-01-04, 03:03 PM
Saftey has nothing to do with ruining the configuration of racetracks. A handful of corners needed attention due to lack or runoff but nothing more. Alot of great safety work has been done in ten years in the areas of cockpit design and construction, crash test and car construction and run off area improvements but that is it. Ruining the tracks and cars has done nothing but massively detriment the sport.

If they take away Eau Rouge, they take away the reason I do this.

-- Ayrton Senna 1992

RTKar
05-01-04, 07:39 PM
Now that "Safer barriers" have been developed, I wonder if we can get our corners back minus the Mickey Mouse chicanes?

oddlycalm
05-02-04, 06:31 PM
Yeah, what a weekend indeed. Difficult to watch, and cause for much reflection.

I found myself thinking about how ironic it was that Mike Hailwood, after all the world championships in Moto GP, all the laps around the Isle of Man, and after F1 drives for Surtees as well, was lost on the way to the market for a loaf of bread along with his daughter.

oc

Ankf00
05-02-04, 10:42 PM
Yeah, what a weekend indeed. Difficult to watch, and cause for much reflection.

I found myself thinking about how ironic it was that Mike Hailwood, after all the world championships in Moto GP, all the laps around the Isle of Man, and after F1 drives for Surtees as well, was lost on the way to the market for a loaf of bread along with his daughter.

oc

fate is cruel. :saywhat:

JohnHKart
05-03-04, 02:23 AM
Watched the final laps again Sat morning at around the exact moment of ten years to the day (517AM PST). A thought has come to mind watching the onboard footage from Schuey's view...Did the bottoming out cause Senna to veer right so sharply? It really looks like the right front or rear suspension is breaking at that moment. The car just veers right so suddenly, it's the same behavior as when the suspensions break on cars. I suppose the lack of grip from the bottoming would have the same effect. Meanwhile, I find myself highly annoyed at Nigel Roebuck's QandA this week, where he assumes Senna made a mistake there. Just total rubbish! He wasn't perfect, but to make a mistake in a simple flat left hand corner seems preposterous to me.

John

rabbit
05-03-04, 08:48 AM
Meanwhile, I find myself highly annoyed at Nigel Roebuck's QandA this week, where he assumes Senna made a mistake there. Just total rubbish! He wasn't perfect, but to make a mistake in a simple flat left hand corner seems preposterous to me.

John
Damon Hill said he thought Senna made a mistake in a recent column. I don't remember where I read it, but he said, in effect, "Only two people in the world new what it was like to drive that car on that track on that day. Myself and Senna."

ilferrari
05-04-04, 11:55 AM
Williams must be paying people off to publicly claim such things. I don't want to see Williams incriminated at all, but I would never claim that Senna made a mistake there. Cars that were working correctly just did not go off there, and certainly not in Senna's hands. These theories are bull.